PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure sensor/dials..?

raj
23-01-2009, 01:32
ok im obviously getting good oil pressure. that and the fact that my oil pump is fully refurbished.

the problem is that the needle on the std oil pressure gauge only works when it feels like it.!

sometimes its fine - when i turn the ignition on it flicks up as it should, then when i fire the car up the needle moves in relation to how many rpm's the engines running at. ok that how it should work all the time.

when its playing up - i turn the ignition and sometimes it flicks up and sometimes it doesnt, the when i fire the car up the needle either flops right back down to the engine off postion or flicks up and down now and again..!

is this a fault with the actual dash gauge or would the problem be with the oil pressure sensor.?

also to save any mix up im assuming the oil pressure sensor is the round thing at the Base of the turbo oil feed pipe yes.? (why does this have 2 spade connectors sticking out of it?1wide 1 thin,when i only have the 1 spade connector coming off the engine loom?does it matter which spade i connect to?)

also what is the other sensor that screwed into side off the turbo oil feed just below the bolt that secures the turbo oil feed pipe to the block.?

ive noticed that there are 2 different types of turbo oil feed base pipes! one comes with the sensor that you screw into the side just under the bolt securing it to the engine block. and one comes blank with no sensor.

these fecking annoying little probs left to do are doing my nut in:brickwall:

tiff_lee
23-01-2009, 02:04
I got the exact same problem with my pressure gauge, I haven't really investigated and just assumed it was dodgy contacts on the sensor.

raj
23-01-2009, 11:58
the thing is, im using new spade connectors. i can only assume the problem lies on the gauge/dial side of the circuit..??

Tiny Tim
23-01-2009, 12:05
Ever had a proper look at the OE gauges Raj? - They're pretty intricate & delicate. My money's on the gauge being at fault. Whip the clocks apart carefully and take a peek, could be something quite simple.

djinuk
23-01-2009, 12:19
I brought a mechanical oil pressure gauge from CGB and fitted that.

Tiny Tim
23-01-2009, 12:20
I brought a mechanical oil pressure gauge from CGB and fitted that.

I have an itchy sack, but that doesnt help Raj with his problem does it?

djinuk
23-01-2009, 12:42
I have an itchy sack, but that doesnt help Raj with his problem does it?

yea true, i was just suggesting as it may be easier than stripping the clocks apart..

as for your itchy sack you should get that checked out

Shane P
23-01-2009, 12:52
why does this have 2 spade connectors sticking out of it?1wide 1 thin,when i only have the 1 spade connector coming off the engine loom?does it matter which spade i connect to?

It has two wires running to it.

gtmatt
23-01-2009, 13:27
dash oil gauge is a pain , i bought a new sender still didnt work they are very senivtive ,you are always better off with a afermarket one ,i put a t-piece in my turbo oil presure and used an electronic sensor instead of an mechical one:)

raj
23-01-2009, 14:04
Ever had a proper look at the OE gauges Raj? - They're pretty intricate & delicate. My money's on the gauge being at fault. Whip the clocks apart carefully and take a peek, could be something quite simple.

i can imagine them being quite delicate, what would i be looking for if i took the dials out/apart.?
infact! i have a spare clock set. ill fit them and see if anything changes:agree:

Chris Hebden
23-01-2009, 14:07
Raj if your going to be relying on a oil pressure gauge this much i would look into an aftermarket version personally. The standard is vastly in accurate when its working at the best of times

Shane P
23-01-2009, 14:17
i can imagine them being quite delicate

He was joking :laugh:

Tiny Tim
23-01-2009, 14:19
He was joking :laugh:

No I wasnt you numpty!

Raj, to be totally honest, i've only had a few of the actual clocks apart.. .Oil wasnt one of them.

raj
23-01-2009, 14:42
It has two wires running to it.

not mine, and it not been chopped either! it is strange though!

so can anyone tell me what is the other thing screwed in the front of the oil feed below the block bolt is.?

you can see the difference in the 2 turbo feed bases in these pics -

Markey Mark (BD)
23-01-2009, 17:36
not mine, and it not been chopped either! it is strange though!

so can anyone tell me what is the other thing screwed in the front of the oil feed below the block bolt is.?

you can see the difference in the 2 turbo feed bases in these pics -

Raj mate you got the wrong pressure switch in there, if you have a feed pipe like the first pic (with no switch further up) then you have a 2 pin pressure switch, if you have one like the second pic the pressure switch has only one terminal. The switch half way up is like a preesure switch that illuminates a light on the dash when the pressure is low, the big pressure switch works the guage. The twin terminal switchs has all of it built in together.

Think thats right:D

raj
23-01-2009, 17:50
ahh ok so- (ive never seen a 1pin pressure sensor:scratch:)

anyway-

if you have the extra sensor then you should also have a 1 pin pressure sensor. and also the 2 wires that would fit to the bottom of the 2 pin pressure sensor are now shared between this extra switch and the 1 pin pressure sensor.

if you dont have the extra connector, you only have the 2 pin pressure sensor and both wires will fix to this only.
right.?

Markey Mark (BD)
23-01-2009, 17:54
Thats right mate, if you have the swtich half way up the oil feed then one wire goes to that and one to the pressure switch at the bottom.

On your set up you can use either, one of the 2 terminals on the preesure switch will work the guage so might need to swap it around to get it working.