PDA

View Full Version : running probs?

jimmy harleston
08-12-2014, 17:16
Wanted to go for a little run yesterday in the renault, unfortunately the car had different ideas. From start up it ran like a bag of nails, coughed, spluttered, misfired.not sure why because its really the first time since owning the car its had any running issues, it all seems a bit out of the blue..
Ask a silly question but could it be anything to do with cold weather,? Fuel/ air mixture?.etc.. I know its vague, any thoughts appreciated..:confused:

LiamR
09-12-2014, 03:37
Before this, when did you last use the car mate?

jimmy harleston
09-12-2014, 07:14
I did take a run out in it last weekend on the sunday morning. This was its first run for around a month and to be honest it had trouble starting and ticking over then. I put the starting issues down to it not being run for a while.But when I had used it previously to the cold snap it had been running fine with no problems( lol well not many) .just hoped it could be simple problem. ?:(

Alex
09-12-2014, 08:01
Was it stalling or just misfiring?

jimmy harleston
09-12-2014, 17:20
Mainly misfiring. But it would also not tick over.it was a struggle to keep it running to be honest, I adjusted the idle screw a bit to up the revs which helped but it wasnt happy.whilst moving it would keep running although i could hear it missing,but was stalling when I pulled up anywhere. I didnt go far because i didnt want to get towed home.
I think it runs a little rich, plugs are always very black when you pull them out,but im no mechanic so always been loathed to fiddle about with it whilst it was working..

michael tierney
09-12-2014, 21:36
check dist cap for condensation

jimmy harleston
10-12-2014, 07:19
check dist cap for condensation

I did think that.i had a look , no condensation I could see, gave it all a quick clean up on the connections and I thought it had sorted it. But still misfired whilst driving.

Mr Raider
10-12-2014, 12:22
If it wont tickover/idle take idle jet out on drivers side of carb large brass screw & blow it out. Careful not to lose 'O' ring. If its misfiring then would remove and check all spark plugs, clean up with wire brush & check gaps & re-fit. Also check HT leads. Have you got standard intercooler & airfilter? Carbs dont always help starting on cold damp days if car not used daily. :)