PDA

View Full Version : what paint to use, subframe, wishbones etc..?

jamie_clioGTT
23-11-2014, 19:04
First of all, i apologise if this is in the wrong section..

So from your own experience can anyone guide me on a good paint to use for subframe etc.
was going to get it all powdercoated but seems a little expensive for what you get to be honest so would rather just paint it..

Would something just like halfords rattle cans and clear laquer be sufficent protection do we think?

Any advice at all much appreciated.

Cheers :agree:

Matt Cole
23-11-2014, 19:19
Por 15 sguff from frost. That's the best hou will get matey.;)

Alex
23-11-2014, 19:27
I used Hammerite. If I was doing it again I'd have it shot blasted and powder coated.

jamie_clioGTT
23-11-2014, 19:28
Thanks for the reply :agree:

I will look into the por 15 stuff, never thought about it to be honest as i thought the por15 was just rust protection etc.

Thanks again.

jamie_clioGTT
23-11-2014, 19:30
Thanks alex,

My friend has used hammerite and to be honest im not too keen on the finish, even with my clio i used the smooth in a rattle can but was always unhappy with it. was not too impressed with the protection of it either. same as powdercoat, it is hard so stones etc seem to crack the powdercoat leaving it looking rubbish after a short period of time.

Cheers

GTphil
23-11-2014, 22:12
POR 15 is epic stuff, use the chassis coat stuff for the subframe and what not. Frost Restorations are great for advise also they will tell you exactly what you need for the job.

It's not cheap but the durability and finish are exceptional :agree:

Jeff Ninebar
24-11-2014, 12:01
as per Alex, I used hammerite on my subframe, but after getting my brakes blasted and powder coated and how much easier and cheap it was to get someone else to do it i'd powder coat a subframe.

The Hammerite direct to metal/rust stuff take ages to dry and needs loads of thin coats to get a good finish.

rs250nut
24-11-2014, 16:45
Blasting and powder coating always gives a good finish, just make sure you ask the person doing the job to phosphate or etch the parts first, some places do not do this. If you don't when it chips it will come off rather fast.

jamie_clioGTT
24-11-2014, 18:46
Blasting and powder coating always gives a good finish, just make sure you ask the person doing the job to phosphate or etch the parts first, some places do not do this. If you don't when it chips it will come off rather fast.

That could explain alot.. Just been looking at the por 15 stuff but you cant get colours? im wanting to do everything in purple you see... :eek:

Alex
25-11-2014, 07:59
I think your only option would be to powdercoat or paint it with rattle cans. I doubt you can get POR 15 in purple? Does it give a good finish? If you want it to be durable I wouldn't spray paint it I'd have it blasted and coated. To be fair my subframe has held up fine with Hammerite brushed on even after 5 years. Not the best finsh though..... :agree:

Nad-5GTT
25-11-2014, 17:11

:agree: I've had all my parts done this way including my subframe which was powder coated orange.