PDA

View Full Version : snapped a wheel stud

djinuk
22-01-2009, 07:34
on on my r5 gti, i managed to sheer off a wheel stud , when attempting to remove it.

Any ideas of methods of removal ?

jure
22-01-2009, 09:00
Drill it with cca. 10mm tip. Maybe it will unscrew while reversing drilling rotation if not make new "teeth" (inside snapped stud) for smaller screw and you should be fine.

Coops
22-01-2009, 11:07
if u can get the wheel off, then do that and just flatten the sides a bit and get some molies on there

djinuk
22-01-2009, 11:15
sorry to be a idiot, whats cca. ? and also what do you mean be make new teeth?

the wheel is off, but there isnt enough of the stud to grip onto:(

jure
22-01-2009, 11:23
cca. means circa or approximate. Use approximate 10mm drill because it is most common size where tool that makes new teeth helps. Sorry but don't know how it is called in English but look at the pic to get what I'm talking about. Is called tap maybe? :ashamed:

Brigsy
22-01-2009, 11:41
I snapped one on front hub recently, i wound it out from the back of the hub with mole grips, when the disc was removed there's enough room to access. If its stubborn tap it round with a decent punch/drift to get it going.

djinuk
22-01-2009, 12:03
sweet , that sounds a plan then, ill have to get the disk and caliper off and get going at it :P

Sparkie
22-01-2009, 13:14
take the disc off and use mole grips on the bit of the bolt that is stick out the back of the hub.

jure is talking about re-tapping the thread if you have to drill it out.

ive done this before and it produces a weak thread. i then helicoiled it, but that is again weak, as there is not enough meat through the hub for the bolt to tighten properly. i ended up changing the hub.

i would also recommend buying 16 new bolts for your car, as i can guarantee they will all be knackered, and u dont wanna do this again do you?

djinuk
22-01-2009, 13:21
sweets , sounds a plan, where abouts would you get the new nuts from?

jure
22-01-2009, 13:48
Sparkie, i wasn't taking about re-tapping hub but broken bolt. Either way your approach seams both easier and quicker :agree:

Scoff
22-01-2009, 14:03
stud extractors are invariably crap. if its snapped off flush then weld a big nut onto the stud, ie weld through the center of a nut into the end of the stud and wind it out, saves stripping stuff down.

Purple_rob
22-01-2009, 18:44
I second scoff's idea.

If you have left over bolt to get hold of and using a stud extractor I find the below best.

I have one and your welcome to borrow it.