View Full Version : clutch cable strech

Schakal
20-01-2009, 14:50
could this cause the gear changes to require more force ??
there is no crunching etc btw .

markey b
20-01-2009, 14:55
i recon the inner cable is getting dry, release bearing getting stiff on the input shaft or maybe the cover plateis about to destroy itself

the renault 5 clutch mechanism is self adjusting to compensate for stretch... to reset it... depress clutch fully, then just sidestep it, makiing pedal shoot up. do it a couple of times and it should reset the adjustment

Schakal
20-01-2009, 15:05
i recon the inner cable is getting dry, release bearing getting stiff on the input shaft or maybe the cover plateis about to destroy itself

the renault 5 clutch mechanism is self adjusting to compensate for stretch... to reset it... depress clutch fully, then just sidestep it, makiing pedal shoot up. do it a couple of times and it should reset the adjustment

the clutch is a brand new one only done 10k miles with a standard f7p engine
so is the release bearing .
but i know the clutch cable has done loads more cause i used what was on there .
not to mention there is a nut fitted to the gearbox end of the cable to act as a spacer .
i guess will have to change the cable anyway :crap:

Schakal
20-01-2009, 15:59
hang on a sec !!!

i am 100% sure the gears would select with ease when the engine is
off before this problem without using the clutch pedal .
now thats not working either .
it cant be the cable than ,can it ?? :scared:

gttjames
20-01-2009, 18:52
engine mounts?

Schakal
20-01-2009, 19:27
engine mounts?

fornt and g/b mount are brand new only done 10k as well .
the rear one was looking sweet as at the time .
but yes it makes sense as it feels like something is physically
pushing in the opposite direction when i am engaging gears .

i am more worried that the selector mech inside the box is fubared somehow :scared:

mr bean aka pete
20-01-2009, 19:48
ive found threw work that the clutch pedal ratchet mechanism wears the teeth off in time as the ratchet is only plastic and consquently have replaced the pedal assembly insted of the cable

Schakal
20-01-2009, 20:51
ive found threw work that the clutch pedal ratchet mechanism wears the teeth off in time as the ratchet is only plastic and consquently have replaced the pedal assembly insted of the cable

i agree but this still does not explain why i cant select gears
without pressing the pedal when engine is off :(

Markey Mark (BD)
20-01-2009, 20:55
Let me get this right, you can't select gears with the engine off and not even pushing the pedal down?

Schakal
20-01-2009, 21:11
Let me get this right, you can't select gears with the engine off and not even pushing the pedal down?

no mate ,
i can select gears with great difficulty ,using lots more force .

whether the engine is on and i am using the pedal or engine off
not using the pedal ,the amount of force needed to select gears
remain the same .
which makes me think there is nothing wrong with ratchet mech. or the pedal
but something else is wrong .

ps: checked the gearbox oil and there is plenty in there before anyone asks

Scoff
20-01-2009, 21:16
even with the engine off if you don't press the clutch pedal then gears can be quite stiff to select because the input shaft isn't able to nudge back and forth as you try to mesh gears.

but anyway, you could rule the clutch cable/mech out by shimming it up at the gearbox end for a test. you know those big washers that go behind the hub nuts, slip one or 2 of those over the outer body of the cable before you place it on the gearbox, see how you go then. if there's no difference then I guess something is binding up in the gearbox.

Schakal
20-01-2009, 21:24
even with the engine off if you don't press the clutch pedal then gears can be quite stiff to select because the input shaft isn't able to nudge back and forth as you try to mesh gears.

but anyway, you could rule the clutch cable/mech out by shimming it up at the gearbox end for a test. you know those big washers that go behind the hub nuts, slip one or 2 of those over the outer body of the cable before you place it on the gearbox, see how you go then. if there's no difference then I guess something is binding up in the gearbox.

with this box its never been a problem to select gears without the pedal .
i know it so well ,cause i always put the handbrake on ,turn the engine off
and stick it in 1st or 2nd as i get out the car . its my daily routine :laugh:

there is allready a slit nut doing the washer duties on the g/b end and its about
5-6mm thick . i will still give that a shot to eliminate though :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
20-01-2009, 21:28
Has this fault just started or have you done some work to the car recently? Its sounding to me like a box or linkage fault if you've ruled out all the rachet and cable by shimming it like Scoff said.

Schakal
20-01-2009, 21:32
Has this fault just started or have you done some work to the car recently? Its sounding to me like a box or linkage fault if you've ruled out all the rachet and cable by shimming it like Scoff said.

have not done anything on the car at all ,it only started yesterday or the day before
progressively got worse .i quickly had a look at the linkage and operated the gear
selector mech from under the car by hand having to use loads of force again ,
feels like something is seizing up inside the box :crap:

i will jack it up and have a better look tomorrow after disconnecting the linkage .

Markey Mark (BD)
20-01-2009, 21:54
When you get under the car take the gear linkage of the gearbox and see if you can put it in gear easily by hand, that will tell you if its box or not. Easiest way to do it is take the 13mm bolt out that hold the linkage to the selector.

Schakal
21-01-2009, 12:20
fixxxoreeddd :):)

what i have done is to disconnect the gear linkage bar from the g/b end
and do a few gear changes by hand while chucking some grease on there .

my theory is , there is supposed to be a washer before the nut that connects the rod to the gearbox end according to haynes . there was not one there when i disconnected ,just a bolt and a locking nut
which i think has somehow tightened itself overtime due to lack of washer .

refitted the lot using a washer and changes are as sweet as again :agree::agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
21-01-2009, 16:52
fixxxoreeddd :):)

what i have done is to disconnect the gear linkage bar from the g/b end
and do a few gear changes by hand while chucking some grease on there .

my theory is , there is supposed to be a washer before the nut that connects the rod to the gearbox end according to haynes . there was not one there when i disconnected ,just a bolt and a locking nut
which i think has somehow tightened itself overtime due to lack of washer .

refitted the lot using a washer and changes are as sweet as again :agree::agree:

Ive seen that a few times, very easy mistake to be done.

At least its sorted now mate.