PDA

View Full Version : gearbox upgrade

soapymech
20-01-2009, 12:54
hi everyone i have 200+bhp in my phase2 bought brand new gearbox from renault it lasted 5000miles then 2nd gear surrendered can anyone recomend a different stronger box and clutch from another car that will slot in dont want to waist my time and money fitting another standard gear breaker cheers:confused:

Bigfoot
20-01-2009, 13:15
Id change the style of driving first. This gearboxes will last fine but if you abuse them they will not. As for strength, I would go for the JC5 gearbox found in the clio williams/172 phase 1 as both those will then work off a mechanical cable, would just need to change the clocks to suit.

Markey Mark (BD)
20-01-2009, 17:06
I've found standard gearbox's and volvo clutch's to be fine in the 5, have never broken one in all the years of thrashing and racing i've done in them.

The clio box is a good one to go for but the gear ratio's are different i believe, think there abit shorter so you'll loose top end speed but accelerate quicker (i:e less mph for rev's).

As for an upgrade for the clutch, try the Helix or AP paddle plate with the volvo cover plate.

Os8472
20-01-2009, 17:11
Gotta agree with bigfoot, change ya driving style, in 3 years of drag and track racing my 5 I'm still using the box it left the factory with, completely untouched apart from the odd oil change