PDA

View Full Version : Rust and rot

mr2haz
31-08-2014, 11:21
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I had a look under the car today to find it will need some attention. Welding etc is not something I can do so will be paying for the service. To get a complete list of what will need doing where should I check and at what point is it not worth doing? I take it everything can be repaired? Is there any particularly tricky/expensive jobs?

Trevhib
31-08-2014, 16:22
Taken from the buyers guide in the articles section:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=22002

BODYWORK

The Supercinq was one of the first new Renaults in the 1980’s to be fully treated to a 5 stage anti corrosion process and they've lasted fairly well but there are a few common areas for rust to watch out for. As with all older cars it pays to get it on a ramp to have a good look underneath.

Main areas to check are the outer sills, hidden behind the plastic sill extensions, the inner sills and the front jacking points which are an MOT fail. Thankfully all of these parts are available from Renault or third party panel suppliers, budget up to £300 per side for a restoration repair as opposed to a much cheaper MOT repair which may have been done for a previous owner.

Common rusty areas are the front and rear bumper mounting points. As these are hidden by the bumpers and arches they can really only be seen with the bumpers removed. The RTOC has managed to source a number of repair panels which have been specially manufactured to replace corroded panels in these areas and they are available through their website.

Easy to see is around the bottom edge of the windscreen. The 5's bonded windscreen needs to be cut out of the car to be replaced and the removal process can cause scratches or damage to the paint underneath the bonding agent.Repair panels are no longer available from Renault leaving your only option a repair patch. You can check the condition of this area by running you hand under the lower windscreen area from within the scuttle area. There are two small drainage holes at each lower corner of the screen where corrosion usually starts.

Also check the floor panel drainage plugs, where it folds up around the fuel tank, and the boot floor where it meets the rear arches. Check the tailgate around the glass.

The front doors can drop and become difficult to close if their hinges are not kept lubricated as they corrode and wear away. This can allow the bottom corner of the door to catch the sill and promote rust. It’s common now to have to fit new hinge pins and bushes on the newer version doors or drill and fit specially made shims, not available as a spare part, on the older versions.

LukeRobbo
31-08-2014, 17:43
Take the bodykit off to reveale the cars true condition most need major work line mine.You might have got away with it but the car will no doubt need outer sills minimum unless it's been looked after.I also found about 5 holes in my floor and the jacking points where like cornflakes

mr2haz
03-09-2014, 21:33
I know this may have been posted before but does anyone have an up to date list of suppliers and prices for all the likely panels that may be required?

LukeRobbo
03-09-2014, 23:11
Outer sills I got from imperial panels but the fit isnt great and took a lot of work to get fitting well but now my doorgaps are better than standard.lol

Inner sills can be made easily at most blacksmiths instead of using a repair panel which is only half the inner sill

Jacking points are junk from renault made of thin metal so best making your own beefed up version.

Prod a screwdriver under the seat rails theirs normally a few holes along them underneath.

Also check under the windscreen from under the battery tray to check for holes.

Underneath rear side window rubbers their can be some major rott too.

Check under the bodykit arches theirs normally some nice crispyness

I have seen others with rott around the headlights but mine only seemed to suffer on the drivers inner wing

rabbitstew
04-09-2014, 12:12
You mention welding isnt something you can do, but to be honest, it might be cheaper to buy a welder, learn and do it rather than pay someone. I bought my welder a few years back and after watching a few youtube guides, its a piece of cake to weld up the Renault 5.

As others have said, get the body kit off (not easy in itself and the bolts will usually sheer off from inside the kit and start having a look. Get a wirebrush and aggressively brush about and prod about with a screw driver.

Im in the middle of welding mine up, and on mine, where the front & rear bumpers mount to the body were rotten, the front jacking points and then in places along the inner & outter sills - mainly from the front wheel arch back to half way under the doors. Around the rear jacking points were rotten, but the actual jacking point at the rear was fine. A couple of holes in the foot well where the passenger`s feet go needed patching, and that was about it for welding. I bought brand new renault jacking points which were about £35 each, then just got some 0.6mm sheet metal which seemed to be the same thickness as what renault use and basically patched/fabricated all the bits which needed to be replacing. I didnt replace the whole sill as didnt see the point in creating extra work when I could just make the new bits I needed myself. I took my time and played with my welder settings & wire thickness/speed until in the end I was making a decent job of it all.

Other than those areas, they go under the battery, bottom of front window screen, bottom of rear side screens and at the bottom of the rear screen in the tail gate.

mr2haz
04-09-2014, 22:20
Popped into Renault Romford who advised me they have no panels for the 5.

Will mill over my options for now.

LukeRobbo
04-09-2014, 22:34
You will be best getting good patterned parts or in most cases making bad ones fit.

I'm guessing by your username you had a Toyota Mr2? You should have stuck with Japanese cars if so they are far superior :-)

mr2haz
04-09-2014, 22:45
You will be best getting good patterned parts or in most cases making bad ones fit.

I'm guessing by your username you had a Toyota Mr2? You should have stuck with Japanese cars if so they are far superior :-)

The username stuck but the mr2 turbo blew up and we parted ways some years ago lol

Japanese is better but I keep coming back to Renault hot hatches.

Any recommendations for where to get pattern panels?

LukeRobbo
05-09-2014, 22:16
I got my sills from imperial panels but the fit wasn't great.If you are fitting a part sill they would be ok though.

I'd like to know where to get good pattern front wings myself.