PDA

View Full Version : Rough running when first started...

c5 swh
19-01-2009, 19:11
Right wheter i start my car after leaving it a day or a week its got a slight problem but cant find what is causing the problem.

Basically when i start the car from cold i give it a bit of choke turn the key and it fires right up then after a few seconds of idleing the revs begin to drop and then will die. If i give it more choke then the revs pick up but agin will do the same thing. It starts to sound like its overfueling/misfiring. Also some times when the choke is on it will start idleing at 3k push choke in but seems like it sticks on, the revs wont drop but then few mintues later they drop back to normal.

Now soon as it gets to normal operating tempreture the car is absoultly fine, idles perfect, and does not miss a beat.

If i start it up the same day its fine just seems to be when its totally cooled down.

Ive searched the forum but cant find any answers, ive also cleaned the idle jet on carb.

Any help would be great.

many thanks:cool:

gtmatt
19-01-2009, 19:25
fives do get like that when cold , is your carb standard ?? jetting etc ?? i re jetted mine, de choked but left the cable etc in and increased the idle in the morning once it was warmed up a little droped the idle and was fine.also a good carb overhaul is good if it has never been done :)

c5 swh
19-01-2009, 19:28
I think its a standard carb thats been re jetted, is a carb overhaul easy enough to do yourself? im quite handy with a spanner.

Kris M
19-01-2009, 19:32
easy enough to do yourself mate, follow this ;)

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=3423

RAGOONEY
20-01-2009, 10:52
Might be worth checking your choke cable. Mine used to stick on 3+ revs when pushed fully in. Took the top of the carb off and the cable wasn't operating the flap properly. Replaced cable and all was fine. Definately worth an full overhaul too.

ranj
22-01-2009, 18:08
Mine does exactly the same thing and im using a brand new carb , i seem to think the problem lies with the spark plugs im using .... im using ngk b8evx and i think from cold the spark plugs are fouling up with the choke on and it takes a while for em to clear up and that why its like its misfiring .... i may be wrong , but gonna try a different set of plugs and see if that makes any difference ....