PDA

View Full Version : My POS Ford

MikeA
19-01-2009, 16:55
So, I know this isnt renault related but there seems to be such a wealth of knowledge across the board I thought there would be no harm in asking for some advice on a Fiesta.

The car in question is a 2003 mk6 Fiesta.

Basically the car seems to have a throttle problem. When cold it seems to run lean and idle low cutting out under any labour. Once it is slightly drivable it cuts out at about 3-4k revs and goes into fords limp mode, EAC (emergency acceleration mode?), you can turn the engine off and start it immediatley and it will run fine till you hit that rev mark. This is a fecking nuisance to say the least.

Once its warmed up it seems to run rich and idles about the 1500 mark which seems (and sounds) very high. It very occasionaly goes into limp mode but for the most part just has a flat spot in power.

So it all started when my engine was randomly cutting out under power (not a related problem!) and Arnold Clark told me I needed a new ECU and throttle housing at the cost of around £1000. Obviously I asked them politely to step away from my vehicle but I did let them change the housing as the fault code came up for that (supposedly). Turns out I had a signal wire coming off the the coil pack that was shorting when the engine revved and flexed causing it to cut...hence the new ECU they though would fix it! I found this and fixed it...grrr could have cost me 750.00, feel bad for people who just say yes to them.

Anyway, since then the car has been doing what I said earlier. So dont know if they got a ECU terminal dirty when the throttle housing was out or if they didnt config it right (does it auto correct?). Thanks to Scott and his dad at Warpspeed I was able to get a diagnostic machine on again and found a code for what appears to be a TPS problem (throttle position sensor) which seems to make sense.

Ok, so what I am asking is....does this sound like a likely culprate or am I barking up the wrong tree. If it does sound right, ford said they can get me the sensor for 55.00. How hard is it to change myself? I know roughly what it looks like and where it is but dont know how to set it?

Any help?! Sorry for the looooong post :dearme:

MikeA
19-01-2009, 19:01
Well...guess the response shows how boring the post is! :cry:

RICHIE
19-01-2009, 19:07
So, I know this isnt renault related but there seems to be such a wealth of knowledge across the board I thought there would be no harm in asking for some advice on a Fiesta.

The car in question is a 2003 mk6 Fiesta.

Basically the car seems to have a throttle problem. When cold it seems to run lean and idle low cutting out under any labour. Once it is slightly drivable it cuts out at about 3-4k revs and goes into fords limp mode, EAC (emergency acceleration mode?), you can turn the engine off and start it immediatley and it will run fine till you hit that rev mark. This is a fecking nuisance to say the least.

Once its warmed up it seems to run rich and idles about the 1500 mark which seems (and sounds) very high. It very occasionaly goes into limp mode but for the most part just has a flat spot in power.

So it all started when my engine was randomly cutting out under power (not a related problem!) and Arnold Clark told me I needed a new ECU and throttle housing at the cost of around £1000. Obviously I asked them politely to step away from my vehicle but I did let them change the housing as the fault code came up for that (supposedly). Turns out I had a signal wire coming off the the coil pack that was shorting when the engine revved and flexed causing it to cut...hence the new ECU they though would fix it! I found this and fixed it...grrr could have cost me 750.00, feel bad for people who just say yes to them.

Anyway, since then the car has been doing what I said earlier. So dont know if they got a ECU terminal dirty when the throttle housing was out or if they didnt config it right (does it auto correct?). Thanks to Scott and his dad at Warpspeed I was able to get a diagnostic machine on again and found a code for what appears to be a TPS problem (throttle position sensor) which seems to make sense.

Ok, so what I am asking is....does this sound like a likely culprate or am I barking up the wrong tree. If it does sound right, ford said they can get me the sensor for 55.00. How hard is it to change myself? I know roughly what it looks like and where it is but dont know how to set it?

Any help?! Sorry for the looooong post :dearme:

have you tried just cleaning the tps mate

RICHIE
19-01-2009, 19:14
http://site1.wikianswers.com/templates/icons/abar_a.gif?v=37734
TPS (throttle position Sensor) is a variable potentiometer! Is is connected to the throttle shaft on the throttle body. The ECM/PCM (computer) uses the voltage from the TPS to determine fuel delivery based on the angle of the throttle shaft or valve (driver demand)
A loose or broken TPS can cause an unstable idle or intermittent bursts of fuel from the fuel injectors, because the ECM/PCM is fooled into thinking the throttle is moving.

MikeA
19-01-2009, 20:32
Because of the weather outside the last couple of days I havent ventured out to look but the answer is no, I havent cleaned it or even checked to see what condition its in.

I was just curious if the symptoms were anything people have dealt with before.

Cheers for the help, Ill def have a look tomorrow.