PDA

View Full Version : alternator

LYNCHSTAR
18-01-2009, 20:49
would my alternator be knackerd if the battery light does not come on the dashboard. also if car is leftfor days the battery goes flat. would this effect the cars performance to all of a sudern mines running ****e.

RICHIE
18-01-2009, 20:53
you need to test your alternator by using a multimeter and it needs to be reading above 13. if your battery goes flat it either on its way out or something is drawing power from it.

Markey Mark (BD)
18-01-2009, 20:56
would my alternator be knackerd if the battery light does not come on the dashboard. also if car is leftfor days the battery goes flat. would this effect the cars performance to all of a sudern mines running ****e.

If the light doesn't come on the dash then no the alternator is ok but i've had 1 or 2 cars that no light has come on but it didn't charge the battery so check the charge with a multimeter.

To be honest it sounds like the battery is on its last legs if its loosing charge after a while.

michael tierney
18-01-2009, 21:07
check the alt. earth and wiring,then check the bat. bulb first

LYNCHSTAR
18-01-2009, 21:18
If the light doesn't come on the dash then no the alternator is ok but i've had 1 or 2 cars that no light has come on but it didn't charge the battery so check the charge with a multimeter.

To be honest it sounds like the battery is on its last legs if its loosing charge after a while.
i brought a new battery and still no battery light.

Markey Mark (BD)
18-01-2009, 21:30
Do you mean when you turn the ignition on you have no ignition light?

LYNCHSTAR
19-01-2009, 20:27
Do you mean when you turn the ignition on you have no ignition light?
yes mate no ignition light. my car would not turn over so i put a cable from the starter motor to battery to jump it because the solenoid was stuck ever since i did that the ignition light did not come on and the battery ran down after a couple of days the performance is a bit ****e aswell would this have anything to do with it aswell.:confused:

MR TURBO
19-01-2009, 20:36
yes mate no ignition light. my car would not turn over so i put a cable from the starter motor to battery to jump it because the solenoid was stuck ever since i did that the ignition light did not come on and the battery ran down after a couple of days the performance is a bit ****e aswell would this have anything to do with it aswell.:confused:

Is that cable still connected??

LYNCHSTAR
19-01-2009, 20:40
Is that cable still connected??
no mate.