PDA

View Full Version : exhaust heat wrap??

tubby5
18-01-2009, 16:07
basically i have a k-tec tubular manifold which has been modded to take an external wastegate,it has also had a few strengthing brackets put on the flange,i have some heat wrap in the garage sat there doing nothing and its the expensive wrap but a bit unsure to use it as i have heard s/s manifolds can crack????

Andrew Cooke
18-01-2009, 17:17
ebay it

Coops
19-01-2009, 01:02
loads of the na clio boys wrap their supersprint/prowlers etc to no issue, but turbo stuff is gonna get a bit warmer wud of thunk so maybe not?

i have wrapped cast mani and wrapped stainless d/p, been wrapped for 5k miles and no splits as yet touch wood

Woznaldo
19-01-2009, 06:53
I think there's a certain amount of risk when it comes to cracking when using stainless for exhaust manifolds but, I was told by a local exhaust shop that the ceramic coatings on stainless are more prone to cracking the pipe than when using thermo wrap.

Misky
19-01-2009, 08:42
Whats the benefit of heat wrapping? as i see it:
1) Reduces engine bay temp which inturn intake temp
2) Improves airflow due to air density of the exhaust thus improving HP gains and response

Are these even noticeable? :scratch:

clee
19-01-2009, 09:06
I've taken most of mine off as it seems to speed up the rust process ...............I put it on to try and reduce the bay temps which is a real issue in the GTA ,I don't think it did much .I've gone for more through flow instead :scratch:

Mudslinger
19-01-2009, 10:26
Id say the cracking of a s/s manifold is more a case of bad welding or to much weight ie the turbo on the end with no support bracket , the exhaust rap is not cheap so its best to wrap it nice and tight and use s/s wire to hold it in place , ive used it on mine to try and help against things burning , paid that wee bit extra for the carbon grey stuff but it didnt stay grey for long its now almost white .

but defo think about adapting some sort of bracket /support to help take the strain off the manifold ;)

steveT2
19-01-2009, 17:00
that was the plan ,to stop things burning:)not for any performance gain,as i have a few fuel pipes running near the bulkhead there the last things i want to get hot

wrong user name sorry:rolleyes:

Mudslinger
19-01-2009, 17:40
that was the plan ,to stop things burning:)not for any performance gain,as i have a few fuel pipes running near the bulkhead there the last things i want to get hot

wrong user name sorry:rolleyes:

tbh though i wish i had just went and got the manifold ceramic coated ,im sure i was over £150 in exhaust wrap from demon tweeks , thats almost half what it would cost to get it ceramic coated also u can choose what colour you want , if i need to take the throttles off again im defo going to get the manifold ceramic coated instead of forking out for wrap , maybe worth considering although the cost to get the coating done aint that cheap but should be a better option in the long run .

Markey Mark (BD)
19-01-2009, 17:47
I think when i get my manifold and downpipe made i'll be ceramic coating them too, wrap just costs too much and doesn't seen to last from the stuff i've used in the past.

clee
19-01-2009, 17:50
Also will be looking at ceramic coating once all the bits are sorted for the new V6 build .A word of caution though ....
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~ohare/exhaust.htm

Mudslinger
19-01-2009, 18:01
what is the expected life span of ceramic coating ?
Its pretty expensive for it to only last a few weeks :eek:

just found this
zircotecs offer a guarantee :)
All of these coatings are covered by our 3 year Product Guarantee (http://www.zircotec.org/page/product_guarantee/48) irrespective of whether your system is new or used.