PDA

View Full Version : Rad fan connections

Junglist
28-07-2014, 20:48
My fan didn't kick in yesterday I pulled over straight away. I took the two wires out of the fan switch in the rad and touched together and nothing checked for power and seemed intermittent so I guess a loose connection. My wiring is pretty dodgy looks like my fan is connected straight to the alt via the switch I don't think that's right??
I've wired it straight to the battery for now with an inline fuse it might be staying like that till I can get a new loom. :crap:

Mr Raider
28-07-2014, 22:39
Think that is right that wiring goes to the alternator however would check wiring diagram. Some of the wiring for the alternator also goes to the starter motor lol :coffee:

rabbitstew
29-07-2014, 09:00
The wires for the rad fan go to a relay in front of the engine, this is always corroded, the wires from that go to the alternator.

Junglist
30-07-2014, 17:11
Yeah thought it was supposed to go to the relay but it didn't tbh the wiring under my bonnet is appalling , connector city.

rabbitstew
30-07-2014, 17:16
Yeah thought it was supposed to go to the relay but it didn't tbh the wiring under my bonnet is appalling , connector city.

I have same problem. It looks like the previous owner put a wire directly from the battery around to the alternator and then wired in a separate relay because the OE fan relay socket is badly corroded. Im having to strip all this out and try to repair it atm. Theres also wires to the oil pressure sensors and the fan temp switch all in the same area there.

Junglist
30-07-2014, 17:37
New loom I think :agree: