PDA

View Full Version : Problem, something snapped..

sphinX
10-09-2008, 13:27
Searching for my boost leak today I was looking at some hoses near the inlet manifold and I have accidentally snapped a hoses off and is leaking something. I have a few pictures to show what I have done. Can't drive the car anywhere now... can someone tell me what it is that I need to get new and also are there any garages that will sort the car out for me and do a proper job and also fix the turbo leak as I have no clue what to do. Members are welcome to work on it as well, not for free of course :).

http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll438/sphinxyboy/car%20problem/

The pictures are there. It is the yellow hose I am on about. If you look at picture 411, its the one underneath the blue hose and black hose. I assume I will need a whole new something. Please help!

Tiny Tim
10-09-2008, 13:42
Did you take those with a spy camera? :scared:

Looks like its one of the water journals inside the inlet manifold though. Get yourself to CGB, im sure he sells replacements. Wont take too long to sort out either.

sphinX
10-09-2008, 13:44
What would I ask for? A new inlet manifold? Or should I just take it to him and see what needs to be done.

RichR
10-09-2008, 13:46
It's one of the inlet manifold coolant hoses. So have you snapped the metal pipe on the manifold it connects to? They do have a habit of rusting, so it's easily done.

You have a couple of options - the quick and dirty option is to take the other yellow pipe off the manifold, and join them together with a short bit of pipe (check B&Q or similar for something suitable) to bypass the manifold. You won't have coolant flowing through the manifold jacket (so might suffer problems when the engine is very cold or very hot, it's purpose is to keep the manifold at a fairly constant temperature around 80-90C), but everything else will be fine. The longer term solution is to remove the manifold and replace the snapped off connector.

raj
10-09-2008, 13:47
it only looks like youve broken the carb water inlet, just fit another carb base. simple.

sphinX
10-09-2008, 14:12
Cheers guys, taking the car to cgb in 30mins and he says he will try and sort it for me

RichR
10-09-2008, 14:24
Ah yes - I only looked at picture 411 :) That'll teach me for not paying attention.

It's the other end of the hose that you've broken, which is as Raj says, the carb base coolant connection. Same applies though - you can just bypass it for now, or swap the whole carb or just the base bit if you can get one separate.

sphinX
10-09-2008, 17:54
fixed, thanx to cgb. all sorted