PDA

View Full Version : James5 with Yet another GTT

Pages : [1] 2

James5
15-07-2014, 16:36
OK I am back again with not one R5 GTT but 3 well I say 3 I am slowly downsizing. This all started back in April 2014 when I decided to sell my Evo 6 after having to replace the rear diff setup for just shy of £2k for the RS kit I thought it’s all working 100% and best time to sell it on so within a week it was sold. I then picked up a J Plate Tungy Grey GTT from Essex the plan was to restore it, so booked it all in for a re-spray got messed about by the sprayer with delay after delay. So whilst awaiting sprayer I attend the Retro day at pod and done a few run’s had a slight gearbox crunch before I started I ended up with constant crunching in first and 2nd gears. I was then on the lookout for a replacement box nothing local and then a cat c write off R5 GTT popped up not too far away perfect so I snapped it up. On the way back from picking this spare GTT up had a convo with a friend whom had lost interest in his R5 GTT and I ended up agreeing to buy his restored white GTT rolling shell this then solved the re-spray issue for me (re-shell). Thing’s now had to move quick as I had / have a moaning Mrs’s on my back. So pretty quick the spare white GTT was sold on, the Tungy 5 was stripped of goodies and engine. The tungy is pretty much in standard now ready to go to new owner. The white rolling shell now has most of my goodies fitted and is currently a work in progress; hopefully have road legal within the next couple of weeks.
A couple of pictures attached as to what I have done so far, I know it’s not to everyone’s taste but **** it:D

Please see this thread for the build restoration project history http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=6285

JRP many thanks for the car:agree::cooter:

James5
15-07-2014, 16:38
Some more pic's as to where I am at and changes

James5
15-07-2014, 16:40
One piece downpipe with thanks to turbo renault forum (please don't shoot me good bit of kit).

Please ignore cable ties awaiting bolts and nut's

James5
15-07-2014, 16:40
:D

Hoping to have car road legal for the next Surrey meet:agree:

Jonny5
15-07-2014, 16:48
That downpipe looks amazing :agree:

R5MJH
15-07-2014, 16:56
That downpipe looks amazing :agree:

it is ive seen it in the flesh mate, looks like a work of art:agree::agree:

R5MJH
15-07-2014, 16:56

Hoping to have car road legal for the next Surrey meet:agree:

it better be there or otherwise matey grrrrrrr:laugh:

James5
15-07-2014, 17:07
it better be there or otherwise matey grrrrrrr:laugh:

:agree:

MOT is booked I just need to finish the car by then and make sure all 100%:scared::eek:

Only concerns is sorting the gearstick linkage as I am missing a few bits for it's assembly. Will get it on and see what I need to get hopefully Mike will be able to do some urgent postage if needed:agree:

JRP
15-07-2014, 18:44
I really miss it now.

Goobie
15-07-2014, 23:29
Looking good James! :agree: Are you going to get some side decals? :confused:

James5
15-07-2014, 23:38
Looking good James! :agree: Are you going to get some side decals? :confused:

:D Yep

philr5t
16-07-2014, 01:32
Looking great James good to see it finally getting some loving ready for road use

Logg
16-07-2014, 01:42
Dude you go though cars quicker than I cook my own hot dinners. :D

Glad you've got a settled :agree: hope there's lots of ELboostO in it futureO

phase i 16 v turbo
16-07-2014, 08:44
Not hanging around well done James.

rabbitstew
16-07-2014, 09:34
Looking good. I wish I had as much spare time to work on mine but with all the housework/cleaning/cooking, a full time job with a 3 hour commute each day, and a baby to look after I find I only get a couple of hours spare a week. :(

Im hoping to get mine finished before summer is up, but am now thinking I might be very lucky if that happens....

Trevhib
16-07-2014, 10:16
James, I can't keep up. :D Keep the pics coming.

Rabbit. A 3hr commute is a killer, a huge quality of life issue what with a young family :(

James5
16-07-2014, 10:44
Looking good. I wish I had as much spare time to work on mine but with all the housework/cleaning/cooking, a full time job with a 3 hour commute each day, and a baby to look after I find I only get a couple of hours spare a week. :(

Im hoping to get mine finished before summer is up, but am now thinking I might be very lucky if that happens....

It's not about spare time I literally have none but I am happy to work on the car late most of the work is done from 9pm - midnight over 3 day's a week (my allowance for car tinkering :laugh:) this time of yeah the weather is ok so I don't mind doing it. This is me also working full time (helpful only work 4miles away) doing the household chores, and the 5 kid's and a moaning Mrs's and she still moans even though I do it in the eve (never win whatever I do).

rabbitstew
16-07-2014, 10:45
James, I can't keep up. :D Keep the pics coming.

Rabbit. A 3hr commute is a killer, a huge quality of life issue what with a young family :(

Well its 1hr 30 each way.... but yeah I was talking to the mother-in-law about it last yesterday and basically thats 3 hours a day just wasted, not to mention the cost... I do about 22k a year, diesel alone is £250 a month. At least its cheaper than my commuting car which was a Nissan 350z - that ended up costing me £1250 a month :eek::eek: over the 18 months I had it.

Its the old trade off between money & quality of life.

It's not about spare time I literally have none but I am happy to work on the car late most of the work is done from 9pm - midnight over 3 day's a week (my allowance for car tinkering :laugh:) this time of yeah the weather is ok so I don't mind doing it. This is me also working around household bit's, work and 5 kid's and a moaning Mrs's and she still moans even though I do it in the eve (never win whatever I do).

5 kids?! kin ell.... at least we know what you get up to on the 4 evenings your not in the garage!! :D

Unfortunately im a bit restricted in the evenings noise wise in case I wake him up, so i find when I get in at 7pm I leg it into the garage to quickly do any angle grinding etc for a few minutes, then after I put him to bed I might be able to get an hour in there doing some welding which doesnt seem to wake him up. The missus is addicted to "true blood" atm so she dont mind me being in there as she can see another episode.

When I was working on my Ducati 996 earlier in the year, id get up at 5.30am and get a good couple of hours in before leaving for work. But, atm ive got to get up and feed him at 6.30am which kind of screws things up. Cant be sneaking upstairs covered in grease/oil/muck half way through taking the engine out. :D

Still when he`s older im hoping he can give me a hand, his hands would probably fit around the engine bay a bit easier than mine.

Jeff Ninebar
16-07-2014, 14:00
I had to read the first post twice to work out what colour the 5 is you are keeping :D

James5
18-07-2014, 00:02
Well almost ready for mot now:-)

Just need to do the following

Sort gearstick linkage (stolen setup of tungy) new parts on way,
Work out why headlight sidelights not working,
Work out why tailgate lights not working aswell,
Work out why fogs not working
Replace indicator bulb on dash
Plumb in AFR
Plumb in boost gauge
Sorting tracking out(will let garage do that prior to mot along with headlight aim)

Any tips for sorting gearstick linkage setting been a while since done one?

Also any tips on were to look for lighting issues??

Jeff Ninebar
18-07-2014, 09:48
my lights didn't work and it was due to a bad connection between the lights switch stalk and the big connector plug that connects to it off the dash loom, it was loose and needed a screw wedged in one side to hold it in place and make the lights work!

James5
18-07-2014, 10:58
Cheers Jeff will check it over iI am thinking earthing points

Quick bay PIC attached please ignore the blue and yellow hoses i have had ordered green ones but long delay due to colour and special order:crap:

James5
18-07-2014, 23:08
All done :-)

Ns electric window motor does not appear to be working is this an mot failure???

LeeR5GTT
18-07-2014, 23:29
All done :-)

Ns electric window motor does not appear to be working is this an mot failure???

No mate

James5
18-07-2014, 23:38
No mate

:cool: will leave it for now had enough of playing 5 for a bit now

Goobie
19-07-2014, 01:48
You've not hung about getting this one up and running, looking forward to seeing it buddy. :agree:

James5
19-07-2014, 10:22
Just to add that the tungy has not lost out on a gearstick linkage that is in boot along with all other parts for it to be a fully running gtt they were on order whilst I rushed to get white gtt running

James5
24-07-2014, 11:12
Forgot to add the car passed MOT on Monday with Nil advisiories. Couple of issue's I had to sort on ramp, nsr indicator decided to come on way brake pressed (was a bad connection cleaned and all good), also the AEI vacum line split so replaced and fine.

Since then though a couple of small failure's

Water pump replaced,
Top hose stat replaced,
Fuel pump changed,
New Fuel filter fitted,
Morrettes wired in fully now so 2nd lamps work on high beam (many thanks to Ian S for the custom loom),
New number plates fitted (wasn't keen on the black surrounds and plates screwed in place),

What left to do -

Side Decal's
Fog wiring,
Dash replacement,
Heater matrix replacement,
Small bodywork repair to NSR quarter (very fine hairline crack assume filla blown due to heat),

Jeff Ninebar
24-07-2014, 11:21
shaping up nice James :agree:

Trevhib
24-07-2014, 11:37
Looks absolutely lush. :crush: I think this particular car doesn't need decals, although adding certainly isn't going to be to its detriment.

What about a Euro rear light cluster?

James5
24-07-2014, 11:52
shaping up nice James :agree:

Many thanks, I can't take credit for the bodywork condition as that was JRP:agree:

Looks absolutely lush. :crush: I think this particular car doesn't need decals, although adding certainly isn't going to be to its detriment.

What about a Euro rear light cluster?

Cheers Trev, Euro clusters is a very good idea I will look into that :agree:

Trevhib
24-07-2014, 12:26
You only need one and you have two choices. Delete the reverse light by getting a Euro fog light cluster, or delete the fog light by getting a Euro reverse light cluster.

I found that deleting the reverse light was easiest because a reverse light is not a requirement for an MOT (last time I checked). You simply have to remove the reverse bulb and it should go through.

On a white GTT it might look cool to have two reverse lights though. That means not having a fog light during the year and having to replace the UK cluster for the MOT. Hardly a bind as how often will you be out in the fog in your GTT and how long does it take to remove/replace a cluster?

Either way will look cool.

:)

JRP
24-07-2014, 18:56
Miss it

James5
24-07-2014, 21:20
Miss it

:agree: I know mate I am looking after it:D

James5
27-07-2014, 08:40
Some more updates, had a little issue with temps on the car and a few other small issues to sort -

So I have done the following

New complete water pump fitted,
New low temp thermostat fitted
New low temp rad stat fitted,
Alloy rad installed,
3rd spal fan fitted,
Yet more Renault Type D green antifreeze,
New fuel pump fitted,
Front fogs sorted (Needed bulbs),

Trevhib
27-07-2014, 10:51
Pics! :D

James5
27-07-2014, 19:27
Pics! :D

Bit's added (ok not all added as I have spare brand new water pump). New plates ok the car had new plates are just didn't like the black surrounds and fact they are screwed in

James5
27-07-2014, 19:32
Couple of more pic's of car.

Next fault on cards, rotational noise OSF not engine based, horrible rotational squeak / squeal, fades when the brakes are used.

Will be looking at this tomoz eve

Jimmy5
27-07-2014, 19:58
Loving morettes :agree:

Makes me want to get some.

Wish I was progressing my project as fast as your doing with yours!

Tutuur
27-07-2014, 22:55
Looks like a minter, glad you're back in the Gtt scene:agree:

JRP
27-07-2014, 22:56
Thanks for using the elf sticker :)

James5
28-07-2014, 09:36
Loving morettes :agree:

Makes me want to get some.

Wish I was progressing my project as fast as your doing with yours!

Cheers, Morrettes are cool love them also but they are a bit of a Marmite thing you either like or dislike not cheap unfortunatly either.

Looks like a minter, glad you're back in the Gtt scene:agree:

It's very clean (Cheers JRP), can't believe how many gtt's I have had over the last couple of months

Thanks for using the elf sticker :)

:agree: Currently trying to get the other one aswell(yellow) "lives better with a Renault"

Couple more pic's attached

The Current to do list,

To do list

Heater Matrix replacement,
Dash replacement,
Replace door speakers,
Side decal fitment
Fit bling bits

James5
10-08-2014, 21:16
Small update been buying loads of parts recently, got the following for the gtt

Side decals,
Chrome alternator arm,
Chrome inlet heat shield,
Chrome crank pulley,
Chrome engine to gearbox bar,
New Zinc accelerator brackets,
New driveshaft o/s
New front wheel bearings fitted,
Tracking sorted,
T28 turbo,

Now need a decent cam

LiamR
10-08-2014, 23:21
We want pics :)

Tutuur
10-08-2014, 23:35
Car is looking mint mate! Is that the turbo you're selling? Looks mint too!

Don't know if i like the military green hoses though but each to there own:agree:

James5
11-08-2014, 10:13
Car is looking mint mate! Is that the turbo you're selling? Looks mint too!

Don't know if i like the military green hoses though but each to there own:agree:

Cheers, yeah the same turbo I am selling,. The hoses are OK look better in the flesh they are a Marmite thing samco British racing green.

Got more on way to replace yellow and blue pipes:agree:

Will upload some pics later for some reason it won't upload on a thread but will upload to my albums:scratch: from my phone

James5
11-08-2014, 13:47
couple of pics

markg
11-08-2014, 14:09
Looking good :agree:

James5
11-08-2014, 14:49
Looking good :agree:

Getting there slowly, many thanks for the bling bits:agree:

James5
13-08-2014, 22:38
T28 fitted now just awaiting new oil feed with filter to arrive and more British racing green samcos should be here tomorrow to replace some of the yellow and blue, still a few more left on order

James5
15-08-2014, 23:28
Update :D

More Samco British Racing Green hoses fitted just one coolant hose to get,
HKS EVC V boost controller setup fitted,
Finished undersealing the rear arches on the car (as per JRP request),
Chrome engine to gearbox steady bar fitted
T28 Turbo fitted,
Pro Alloy rad and intercooler bodged to fit,
In car fan switch fitted and wired in,
New Heater matrix installed,

Trevhib
16-08-2014, 09:53
Looks great :agree:

James5
06-12-2014, 21:44
Few changes over the last couple of days,

OE headlights fitted,
OE orange front and side repeaters fitted,
Passenger side window regulator removed and re-greased,
Removed the interior red carpet to give it a nice clean,

Removed the tailgate badge as well, it needed refreshing as the paint was flakey and horrible (british racing green) so being re-done in std colours (Johnny5)

Trevhib
07-12-2014, 20:50
Nice to be able to play with the styling details :)

Are you missing a tow-eye cover?

James5
07-12-2014, 21:20
Nice to be able to play with the styling details :)

Are you missing a tow-eye cover?

No I have the tow eye cover it's in the glove box as I don't want to loose it:D

wilton_warrior
10-12-2014, 01:19
way better than an evo lol. looks great james :) glad u back in the 5 scene

James5
10-12-2014, 20:53
Some more parts fitted this eve to kinda finalise the car

Genuine Renault Plastic scuttle cover,
Genuine Renault Plastic battery cover,
Valeo Heater fan as mine was noisey so got a nice tight one now no noise :D,
Heater control panel as mine never worked properly this one even clicks:agree:,
Screws for the door cards as I had a lot missing,
Plastic covers for the headlight bulbs now I have gone OE,
Windscreen lower blanking cover thing (Have lost it already :crap:) Mike I need another please :laugh:

Would like to thank Mike for a great service:agree: Hope you get better soon mate, you didn't look to good (not saying you do normally but you looked rougher than normal :D)

Hoping to have the side decals fitted this week or next if I can get hold of someone local to do it:agree:

Trevhib
11-12-2014, 10:08
I love all the finishing details when it comes to projects like this. They so often get neglected.

The lower windscreen clip/bung, just put a very small blob of silicone to hold it in place :agree:

James5
11-12-2014, 22:09
Couple of pic's

Side decals being fitted next monday:agree: hopefully tailgate badge will be back next week aswell:D

Tutuur
11-12-2014, 23:12
Car looks mint mate! But where's the tailpipe?

Trevhib
12-12-2014, 11:42
Sneaky sidey :D

James5
12-12-2014, 12:51
Car looks mint mate! But where's the tailpipe?

Cheers Arthur it's coming on nicely, previous owner made it look good I have just got it running and sorting the other bit's out, dash removal at some point as I need to source a mint dash

Sneaky sidey :D

Tutuur
12-12-2014, 21:03
Looking at the side skirt, it does look a little black:D

You keeping it now mate?

James5
19-12-2014, 10:43
Side decals fitted:D

R5MJH
19-12-2014, 11:24
they look awesome james:agree:

Trevhib
19-12-2014, 11:27
Wow, what an improvement :agree:

I'm in love with this car now. It's exactly how I'd style a GTT if I still had one (possibly with a 3" rear exit and a Euro near-side rear cluster) :cry:

Can we have an updated list of bits and bobs still to be done? :)

James5
19-12-2014, 14:13

I'm in love with this car now. It's exactly how I'd style a GTT if I still had one (possibly with a 3" rear exit and a Euro near-side rear cluster) :cry:

Cheers Trev, a rear exit is something i would like but it's finding one with a 2.5" bore all the way through is hard.

Thing's to be done is very small

Replace dash (current one not to bad but not perfect),
Rear Seatbelts as both sides not working correctly,
Await return of tailgate badge after refurb,
Fit a decent cam,
Oil and filter change,

Trevhib
19-12-2014, 14:24
Ai, not many 2.5" rear exits about, you might have to get one made.

Have you done the heater matrix yet or will that be part of the dash replacement job? :)

Jonny5
19-12-2014, 16:14

You an your euro light clusters Trev :wasntme:

Trevhib
19-12-2014, 16:54
:o:innocent:

James5
19-12-2014, 16:55
Ai, not many 2.5" rear exits about, you might have to get one made.

Have you done the heater matrix yet or will that be part of the dash replacement job? :)

Think there is a power flow not to far I will give them a call and see what sort of price I am looking at for a full 2.5" system with a tiny silencer like the sidey.

Heater matrix done already:D

Will speak to Mike about obtaining a minty mint dash

JRP
19-12-2014, 17:41
Thanks for the side decals James, I'm sure that was part of the deal 😉

Your doing her proud and I'm glad your finishing where my enthusiasm drifted away...

Odd how I'm buying another now.

LiamR
20-12-2014, 00:28
It's looking great. Top job. Just need to get some 13s on her now ;)

Matty
20-12-2014, 08:21
Looks great! The stickers definitely finish it off.

What's the ride height? I'm still thinking of lowering mine a touch and yours looks just about right to me.

James5
20-12-2014, 11:59
Thanks for the side decals James, I'm sure that was part of the deal 😉

Your doing her proud and I'm glad your finishing where my enthusiasm drifted away...

Odd how I'm buying another now.

Cheers JRP's glad your happy with what I have done, it's a good specced car with good looks aswell :D:agree:

If you need a hand with the new 5 let me know I am more than happy to come up like the ole day's and work on it.

It's looking great. Top job. Just need to get some 13s on her now ;)

Won't fit over the front brake as running the 285 discs and extenders, never been a fan of the std alloy and balloon tyres, only pic I have of it with std 13's on is one of JRP's old pic's and strangley enough my old tungy is in the background:laugh:

Looks great! The stickers definitely finish it off.

What's the ride height? I'm still thinking of lowering mine a touch and yours looks just about right to me.

Cheers :agree: ref ride height it's running eibach -50mm lowering springs on Koni yellow adjustable, the pic's are on a slight slope the car sit's pretty even all round on a flat surface, I can take some measurements if you wish

Matty
21-12-2014, 18:25
Yeah if you could take some measurements from the wheel arches to the ground that would be great! :)

James5
22-12-2014, 13:45
Yeah if you could take some measurements from the wheel arches to the ground that would be great! :)

Won't be for a few weeks I need a flat surface and I won't be using it for a while.

James5
05-01-2015, 09:23
After doing all the above I have taken the plunge as I was after more power and EFI and the sensible route was to do yet another conversion again :laugh::agree::D still keeping it Renault and turbo. I will update with pic's as I go along:D

Nad-5GTT
05-01-2015, 10:21
Sounds interesting. What you doing with the downpipe? 1st dibs if no one else has got in b4 me ;):D.

James5
05-01-2015, 10:55
Sounds interesting. What you doing with the downpipe? 1st dibs if no one else has got in b4 me ;):D.

Dude sorry my complete setup has / will be going as a complete package to new owner:agree:

Woznaldo
05-01-2015, 12:48
I've never really liked any of the GTT side decals, Ph1 or 2, but they just seem to work with your car and those F1s! Love it!

Scoobykilla
05-01-2015, 12:54
Decals make em look cool and just like back in the day!!

Andrew Cooke
05-01-2015, 20:24
After doing all the above I have taken the plunge as I was after more power and EFI and the sensible route was to do yet another conversion again :laugh::agree::D still keeping it Renault and turbo. I will update with pic's as I go along:D

fancy a crossflow :scratch:

James5
08-01-2015, 22:46
fancy a crossflow :scratch:

The new lump already is (wish I could afford Gordini setup)

Had the day off today, didn't get much done at all due to the crappy rain this morning and then school run later in the afternoon so I had an hour to do as much as I could so a few bits, removed hopefully get another hour tomorrow and Ill pull the rest of the bits off and get the engine out :agree:

James5
09-01-2015, 23:52
The new lump already is (wish I could afford Gordini setup)

Had the day off today, didn't get much done at all due to the crappy rain this morning and then school run later in the afternoon so I had an hour to do as much as I could so a few bits, removed hopefully get another hour tomorrow and Ill pull the rest of the bits off and get the engine out :agree:

Engine, is now out :agree: Crikey surprised how dirty the bay gets from just a few hundred miles :crap: got damm white car's:laugh:

Nad-5GTT
10-01-2015, 12:41
Pics James come on you know the rules being a mod ;)

James5
10-01-2015, 13:02
Pics James come on you know the rules being a mod ;)

Ok not the best of pic's just an empty bay

Trevhib
10-01-2015, 14:54
I think most people's mouths are still hanging open at the idea that having just about finished the detailing on this brilliant build the engine has come back out quick smart! :D

Andrew Cooke
10-01-2015, 15:06
I think most people's mouths are still hanging open at the idea that having just about finished the detailing on this brilliant build the engine has come back out quick smart! :D

Nah, James swapping and changing engines is as predictable as Penfold swapping cars. :D

James5
20-01-2015, 09:18
A few things left to do for the conversion -

Accelerator cable fitment (When new cable arrives),
Starter motor bolts x 3 (when they arrive),
Intercooler fitment (angle grinder to cut section out of cross member),
Intercooler boost run (going to be long),
Modify bulkhead for cable routing(angle grinder),
Engine Wireing, rev counter, etc...
Mount fastchips ECU,
Re-fit bulkhead heat shield (and modify it with angle grinder slightly),
Re-fit strut brace,
Engine coolant fill,
Turn the key and hope ok:D

Jeff Ninebar
20-01-2015, 10:16
what engine are you putting in James?

James5
20-01-2015, 10:27
what engine are you putting in James?

F7p turbo conversion nothing as amazing as Robbie's

Jeff Ninebar
21-01-2015, 11:43
ah nice, is that what you had in the grey one?

James5
21-01-2015, 12:00
ah nice, is that what you had in the grey one?

Yes but this one has a better turbo GT28rs the last one was just 200sx T28

The build is nothing special at present I am just putting it in to get running and then will tidy it all up once done, please ignore the colour scheme I will be changing this in the future :laugh:

It's currently on hold pending arrival of parts, the car should be at the next surrey meet:D

Jeff Ninebar
21-01-2015, 14:36
looks good already mate, proper quick one out one in job there. :burnrubber:

wilton_warrior
21-01-2015, 17:09
didn't take you long james to get that together :coffee:

HarryR5
21-01-2015, 17:19
Good work mate.:)

R5MJH
21-01-2015, 17:49
didn't take you long james to get that together :coffee:

only takes james 2 weeks to do a full resto :laugh:

James5
21-01-2015, 18:33
only takes james 2 weeks to do a full resto :laugh:

:D Hopefully going to do a little bit more this eve when the kids in bed:agree:

James5
22-01-2015, 00:23
:D Hopefully going to do a little bit more this eve when the kids in bed:agree:

Well it's kinda running turned it over for a few sec's (no coolant it but fires up fine), still awaiting some parts

Accelerator cable,
Starter motor bolts,
Fit the intercooler,
Wire in the OE dash gauges,
Obtain gtt header tank bracket,
Obtain injector metal clips to the fuel rail

James5
26-01-2015, 16:35
Update - Running, the smoke at the rear is a coolant leak from the turbo lower outlet.

Video -

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/F7pt%20conversion/th_20150126_135454_zpsthzfdzf9.mp4 (http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/F7pt%20conversion/20150126_135454_zpsthzfdzf9.mp4)

Jobs to do

Sort the oil leak (hopefully just main crank cap),
Loosen cam belt as a little tight,
Sort the coolant leak,
Look at why ICV valve is so noisey,
wire in the OE dash oil pressure gauge,
Fit the R19 16v cam pulley cover,
Fit the R19 16v throttle cable bracket,
Fit the R19 16v cam cover breather setup,

R5MJH
26-01-2015, 17:10
how have you rooted turbo coolant root james??

also ready to drop another in for me soon>??:laugh:

James5
26-01-2015, 17:16
how have you rooted turbo coolant root james??

also ready to drop another in for me soon>??:laugh:

Turbo coolant I have done the same as the clio boys, which is side of head to top of turbo, bottom turbo feed to top of header tank. I still have a bit to do as massive oil leak when engine is angled to passenger side :-( hopefully not crank seal, I am hoping its the main cap that needs sealant on. Hoping to sort this week and be ready for surrey meet, I also want to get a few local miles before I drive it so far LOL

Let me no when and I will help :agree:

edit - PP as of 01/02/2015

Fixed the oil leak was the main crank cap seal, appear to have sorted as no longer leaking, replaced the head core plugs as noticed coolant floating in top, fitted R19 16v throttle cable bracket, Fitted R19 16v cam breather setup, Still to fit R19 16v cam pulley cover, fit heater matrix pipes when sourced.

Tutuur
26-01-2015, 17:22
Running steady now mate? What was the issue?

James5
06-02-2015, 12:57
New boot badge fitted:agree: (Well refurbed original badge many thanks Jonny5):D

James5
20-02-2015, 17:36
New FPR, and 440 universal location

James5
20-02-2015, 17:38
Refurbed OE badge, devil sticker and clio valver coil wiring for dizzy setup

R5MJH
20-02-2015, 19:15
awesome work as always dude, cant wait to get started on mikes now:agree:

James5
20-02-2015, 20:19
awesome work as always dude, cant wait to get started on mikes now:agree:

I am almost done just awaiting a new loom from EFI- Parts and some other bit's to start again with loom and then hopefully get it up to Scoff for mapping:agree:

Then we can do yours

R5MJH
20-02-2015, 20:45
I am almost done just awaiting a new loom from EFI- Parts and some other bit's to start again with loom and then hopefully get it up to Scoff for mapping:agree:

Then we can do yours

awesome ill suck ya knob better than ya missus pmsl:laugh::laugh::laugh:

FlashbangGtt
20-02-2015, 21:51
awesome ill suck ya knob better than ya missus pmsl:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's a fair quote, I thought she was average... :agree:

James5
21-02-2015, 15:35
That's a fair quote, I thought she was average... :agree:

How the bay looks at present - needs a good clean

James5
23-02-2015, 15:00
And now car is running on adaptronic base map be it a little lumpy and tappety (Hydraulic lifters need to fill with oil) :laugh:

Ill upload a video in a bit, anyone good with adaptronic to give me some advice on getting it to idle better, so I can drive it to Scoff's for mapping soon :agree:

Think my afr gauge itself might be faulty?

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/th_20150223_135323_zpspxyhi3pj.mp4 (http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/20150223_135323_zpspxyhi3pj.mp4)

scratcher
23-02-2015, 18:16
I swear I miss everything these days. I'm shocked John sold the car, but you've definitely lucked out on that!
It looks perfect :cool: Show and shine potential.
You don't mess about with the engine swaps do you :laugh:

R5MJH
23-02-2015, 18:46
I swear I miss everything these days. I'm shocked John sold the car, but you've definitely lucked out on that!

in my eyes he is the no1 for all ya needs pmsl:laugh::laugh:

JRP
23-02-2015, 19:20

I'm surprised too

James5
23-02-2015, 20:11
I'm surprised too

James5
24-02-2015, 13:54
Well it's finally running nicely, just need to drive it to hopefully sort out the hydraulic lifter noise, also got new ht cover decal, and another loom kit from the main man at efi part's so I can do a nice fresh loom:agree:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/th_20150224_122601_zpsbrjflg4r.mp4 (http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/20150224_122601_zpsbrjflg4r.mp4)

Woznaldo
25-02-2015, 11:53
Lovin' this build! Nice work. I'm not sure where to place my Fuel Regulator and the position you've chosen works well, but then your Intake Manifold is at the front of the Engine.

Goobie
05-03-2015, 01:48
Looking good James. :cool: Are you sticking with the log manifold or looking to change that later down the line? :)

James5
05-03-2015, 08:22
Looking good James. :cool: Are you sticking with the log manifold or looking to change that later down the line? :)

Cheers Goobie. no plan's to change the log manifold at present. Just want to drive the car, got a slight pressurisation issue at the moment. Only started doing this since I changed the rad for my spare as original leaked, so going to order a brand new one today.

James5
10-03-2015, 09:40
Well what a crap last few days for me the car has gone 2 step backwards, still not driven the car properly, had a few issue's coolant pressurisation when car was coming upto temp (done the usual tests of stat which is fine) and blockages which is fine the explanation I can come across is that the car was not doing this prior to me fitting a spare rad as the original had a slight leak and since doing this the car coolant has pressurised out of the header tank, I have now gone and puchased a brand new rad to which I still need to fit. (gingers crossed it's not h/g).

So whilst awaiting for the parts to turn up I have done a fresh engine loom as the original was not the best (to many cut's solder and heatshrink than i was happy with), this time I have added a few extra Aux out puts from the ecu (rad fan control, ICV control) used nice braided wire covering.

Also the hydraulic lifters have been noisey from day one I have now replaced all 16, what a pain in the arse to do as 3 of the cam carrier bolts were already fecked so I had to weld a couple of nuts onto 2 of them to get them off the 3rd was awkward I ended up drilling the head off and using a stud extractor to pull the rest out. anyway all 16 now replaced with brand new just awaiting new cam carrier bolts to arrive as i didn't want to get OE bolt's due to this issue I have ordered some M8 flanged titanium headed bolts to hopefully stop problems like this in thr future.

To do -

Fit the cam carriers,
Fit new Cam carrier bolts when they arrive,
Change oil filter and oil,
Cambelt fitting and timing,
Fit the brand new rad and slimline fan,
Fit the bloody awkward lower rad pipe,
Fill with fresh coolant,
Fit new head tank cap (when it arrives),
Fit and re-tension the alternator and it's belt's,
Fit Inter cooler and pipe run,
Charge battery,

Hopw for best coolant pressure issue resolved and the noisey lifters are sorted

Trevhib
10-03-2015, 10:50
Nice update :)

I very nearly said previously that the rad looked a bit battered in this pic. Was this the rad you swapped out or swapped in?

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=19861&d=1424606463

James5
10-03-2015, 12:47
Nice update :)

I very nearly said previously that the rad looked a bit battered in this pic. Was this the rad you swapped out or swapped in?

Thats the swapped out rad

Goobie
11-03-2015, 15:57
Loom looks very tidy, now you had some practise, you can sort out Mikes loom. :cooter:

James5
17-03-2015, 22:47
Well after yet a few more issue's, coolant pressurisation, not running I have finally got the old girl fired up tonight (not for long though as it's late and kids in bed but let it run for 2min's).

Jobs done since last update

16 Brand new Hydraulic Lifters (Still noisey car needs to be driven),
replaced all the cam carriers bolts with different type (M8 x40 for anyone whom wishe's to change there's),
Fresh oil change,
New FRAM Oil Filter,
Brand new NRF rad,
Amended the coolant setup pipework,
Fitted brand new Header tank cap,
Re-done the complete ECU loom with a brand new one (much neater),
Installed ICV,
Sorted Rad fan so ECU controlled,

Just hope I have managed to get rid of the coolant pressurisation issue. The story of this is the 1st rad leaked but no coolant pressurisation issue car would run up to temp and rad fan kick in and out, 2nd rad was a spare from a valver I broke that ran fine with no issue but rad had been stored for about 2-3 years it didn't leak but I had coolant pressurisation issue once fitted so I amended the coolant pipe run still had issue's fitted a brand new header tank cap still the same, I have now replaced rad for the 3rd time this time with a brand new item and not actually been able to start the car as it has not wanted to start with the cold weather would start then die straight away. (Starting issue sorted see attached screenshot in which increased the coolant enrichment through the range by 5%)

Video of my pressurisation issue with the 2nd rad in place, you have all seen the previous vid's in this thread with no problems and rad was only thing changed.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/th_20150227_143909_zpsd2npw77l.mp4 (http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/20150227_143909_zpsd2npw77l.mp4)

Fingers crossed all sorted just need to drive it and hopefully just minor issue's on the inital drive

kial
17-03-2015, 22:55
You mate are a beast

James5
18-03-2015, 12:29
You mate are a beast

I wish. Updated this thread way to soon still got issue's:crap:, went to drive the car this morning to work (only 4.6miles away) made the dual carriageway and then back home engine felt horrible (I know it's timed correctly and tensioned correctly and what I have done is correct, I have a fear that the head isn't getting enough oil and causing the problem) Good news though no coolant pressure issue anymore :D Decided this is the last straw going to pull this engine out and rebuild the bloody thing myself.

Going to replace the cylinder head as fear it has a blocked oil way, going to replace the oil pump, and rebuild the bottom end and see what's going on as some thing is not right with this engine (wish I had pulled it apart before I Dropped it in). Mrs's is going to love me doing this at least car runs so it is literally just the engine.

Looks like I will be fitting an F4r flywheel now as engine is coming out so can go wasted:D (F4r flywheel ordered and on way)

wilton_warrior
18-03-2015, 17:40
keep ur chin up son :agree:

Trevhib
19-03-2015, 12:01
Great determination :agree: You'll get there mate. And your recent experiences will mean you'll be much more efficient at getting it out, built up and in again.

Goobie
19-03-2015, 14:59
Anything else you can add whilst it out? Ps, you do love a job list don't you. :laugh:

James5
19-03-2015, 15:39
Anything else you can add whilst it out? Ps, you do love a job list don't you. :laugh:

:laugh: Without a list I would forget what to do, you should see the amount of notepads I go through.

Couple of parts on way

F4r flywheel,
F7p Head :agree:

James5
20-03-2015, 20:21
Heads off the car whilst I check it over, before I do anything else major

Found a few issue's already the exhaust cam is bone dry in the chambers, yet the inlet has plenty of oil.

Close up pic of one of the rear exhaust cam chambers all 4 are like this bone dry. "2nd pic is how the car now is:crap:

Jeff Ninebar
20-03-2015, 22:07
that don't look right, how come the oil is not getting to them?

James5
23-03-2015, 14:24
:cry:

Looks like I will need a new block now aswell. Why oh why did I not strip this down to start with:crap:

Anyway took the morning of work managed to pull the remainder of the F7p out

Parts sourced so far,

Decent F7p cylinder with carriers (Mr Wilton),
Decent F7p std cam's (Mat Brown),
172 Flywheel (ebay),
Decent F7p complete block (Bass) hopefully collecting Wednesday eve)

Tutuur
23-03-2015, 19:18
What's wrong with the block mate?

Not very lucky are you:cry:

James5
23-03-2015, 20:11
What's wrong with the block mate?

Not very lucky are you:cry:

Score Marks on all 4 bores only light scores marks, considering this car has only really been idleing I am putting it down to an oil starvation issue within the block, Just going to strip the forged rods and forged pistons out hopefully they are ok, will more than likely need new rings, the bearings is obvious to replace anyway

James5
23-03-2015, 23:15
Update I will let the pic's do the talking :cry::crap:

wilton_warrior
25-03-2015, 18:27
feel sorry for you james, least after all this effort you will have a genuine piece of mind reliable engine. pushing good numbers too. :agree:

Trevhib
26-03-2015, 10:12
:disagree: bummer.

James5
26-03-2015, 10:28
feel sorry for you james, least after all this effort you will have a genuine piece of mind reliable engine. pushing good numbers too. :agree:

Chris many thanks, and again can't thank you enough for all the parts I have got of yourself in the last few days to sort this out, head, stat housing etc...

Small update, meet up with Armajit aka Bass last night picked up a complete engine from him and as a bonus it would appear I have a complete Williams head in the deal (needs a good clean though).

Many thanks to Matt Brown on the valver facebook group for a decent pair of valver cam's,

Already booked the block in with the machine shop for turbo oil drain drilling / tapping into block and honing of the bores. Just need to strip it down now and hopefully get a chance to do that later this eve and drop off tomorrow @ machine shop.

I will keep update as going along. Hopefully be back together fully assembled within the next couple of weeks:agree:

wilton_warrior
26-03-2015, 20:35
any time james

James5
30-03-2015, 23:59
Update -

Block is now with the machine shop so should get that back in the next couple of day's. Spent a few hours this evening sorting out my parts and then re-assembled the replacement head for the build. Some pic's attached of it assembled and lubed.

Should add I have also made an extra section of loom for the 4pin wasted spark coilpack when the car goes back in it will be running wasted spark setup using a 172 flywheel.:D

James5
31-03-2015, 00:01
As was looking at turbo noticed a slight issue.

Light off

Light on

Problem now sorted found a suitable bolt to replace the hole. That would have been a bugger of a boost leak to find:agree:

Goobie
31-03-2015, 01:26
Sneaky hole that, probably just saved your self hours of head scratching right there. :laugh:

Head looks mint, you gotton carried away polishing it? :cooter: Not long now then, shame won't have it at this Wednesday meet, but at least you know it's all going to be how it should be. :agree:

James5
31-03-2015, 09:30
Sneaky hole that, probably just saved your self hours of head scratching right there. :laugh:

Head looks mint, you gotton carried away polishing it? :cooter: Not long now then, shame won't have it at this Wednesday meet, but at least you know it's all going to be how it should be. :agree:

Glad I noticed as you say would have been:scratch::rob: for ages.

Would have been nice to get it to a meet been unable to use it for far to long now why oh why did I pull out a really well running C1J setup :cry:

A few more part's awaited ordered last night

New triple layer head gasket,
New Head bolts,
ACL race bearings,
New Wossner piston ring set,

Many thanks Andy & Dan @ engine dynamics for the assistance with sourcing the ring's ended up buying all above from them just for convenience.

Just need the block back now to get it all back together

James5
01-04-2015, 10:21
Well this get's even better :cry::crap:
Removed the turbo oil drain connection on turbo last night as replacing with a better connection only to look inside and notice something in there upon getting it out and it would appear to be part of the cover that holds the bearings in place in the dual bearing core I even found 3 ball bearing's. I am so :mad: is an understatement, car has seen no boost from me I have only driven it up the road and pushed it back down to my place. What has gone from a full package F7pt setup I am now basically buying it all again and starting from scratch.

Ill upload some pic's later

R5MJH
01-04-2015, 12:03
Well this get's even better :cry::crap:
Removed the turbo oil drain connection on turbo last night as replacing with a better connection only to look inside and notice something in there upon getting it out and it would appear to be part of the cover that holds the bearings in place in the dual bearing core I even found 3 ball bearing's. I am so :mad: is an understatement, car has seen no boost from me I have only driven it up the road and pushed it back down to my place. What has gone from a full package F7pt setup I am now basically buying it all again and starting from scratch.

Ill upload some pic's later

this is a fecking joke james u would of been better selling the decent c1j and then building a new f7 speced engine, if I was u I wouldn't be so understanding, you've basically got a sprapper, not 1 part of this engine setup has been in a useable condition, id be inclined to put it back together and exchange back the c1j, goobs wants a c1j matey, as always if you need any help jim im there for ya sir:agree:

James5
01-04-2015, 12:36
this is a fecking joke james u would of been better selling the decent c1j and then building a new f7 speced engine, if I was u I wouldn't be so understanding, you've basically got a sprapper, not 1 part of this engine setup has been in a useable condition, id be inclined to put it back together and exchange back the c1j, goobs wants a c1j matey, as always if you need any help jim im there for ya sir:agree:

Cheers Mick, the only parts I have actually still got out of the deal are the forged rods, intercooler, downpipe and fuel pump the rest is all different and non of the original setup. The original stuff is in my shed pending me scrapping it all.

Have found a turbo place that will do a quick turnaround as I have mapping soon and don't want to mess Scoff around again, but will look into the CHRA cores like you suggested Mick, it's finding one:agree:

Goobie
01-04-2015, 14:26
James, do you ever get the feeling some one trying to tell you some thing with this F7 build? :ashamed::laugh: Maybe your Mrs is popping out side while your at work and giving it a few wacks with her rolling pin. :cooter:

James5
01-04-2015, 14:46
James, do you ever get the feeling some one trying to tell you some thing with this F7 build? :ashamed::laugh: Maybe your Mrs is popping out side while your at work and giving it a few wacks with her rolling pin. :cooter:

:agree::agree: Have to agree does seem that way. I have got this far going to see it through now then sell and buy and EVO 6 again:D

Goobie
01-04-2015, 17:38
:agree::agree: Have to agree does seem that way. I have got this far going to see it through now then sell and buy and EVO 6 again:D

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I know the feeling. :ashamed:

James5
02-04-2015, 20:43
Small update New big ends and Wossner rings have arrived from Engine dynamic's still a few more things to come when in stock hopefully next week now

James5
05-04-2015, 16:59
Update engine Done,

Just awaiting re-furbished gt28rs turbo, still got to fit the 172 flywheel, and clutch then it's ready to be dropped back in.:agree:

R5MJH
05-04-2015, 17:21
great work jim :D I can't keep up lol, back on road within next week i recon and should be proper fast, dont roll this one either ok?:laugh::cooter:

James5
05-04-2015, 17:25
great work jim :D I can't keep up lol, back on road within next week i recon and should be proper fast, dont roll this one either ok?:laugh::cooter:

be more than a week now as turbo not being collected until Tuesday :crap: darn bank holiday's:laugh:

I would drop it in before just so much easier to drop it in with turbo attached as a bugger todo at rear with lack of spce

Tutuur
05-04-2015, 17:33
Taking it fast!

James5
05-04-2015, 17:47
Just ordered a new water pump, might aswell replace as it's all out of the bay:agree:

James5
05-04-2015, 19:23
Taking it fast!

Got to get it sorted need it ready for scoffs only got a few weeks:D

James5
05-04-2015, 21:48
Further update this eve.

Installed the additional section of the wiring loom to the car for the wasted spark, removed the old clio igntion coil as no longer needed.

And Amended the ECU map for flywheel pattern and coil pack

James5
07-04-2015, 15:22
Slight update had 1/2 day holiday today so whilst the weather was good:agree:

James5
08-04-2015, 12:50
Nothing really interesting New water pump arrived today

Tutuur
08-04-2015, 16:10
Now all you need is the turbo:agree:

James5
08-04-2015, 16:43
Now all you need is the turbo:agree:

:agree: Hopefully soon :D

James5
11-04-2015, 22:28
Bit of an update the engine is all in the car apart from a turbo and engine coolant and oil.

Had some bad news about the turbo from the rebuild place today :-(, once I get over the how much I have been ****ed over here I will post about it seeing as out of this deal all I have is a fuel pump, downpipe, forged rods and a ebay intercooler:crap:

James5
11-04-2015, 22:52
Some pics of the knackered GT28rs

List given by turbo place,

Shaft badly scored even chipped, rear turbine blades damaged, rear housing has crack so large it will need replacing.

I am currently awaiting this to be priced up but so far new bearing kit, shaft + rear wheel and rear housing and seals required, might see ig they can get a .86 rear if I am having to get this rebuilt to as new

R5MJH
12-04-2015, 09:27
this is utterly appalling, so in the end thats all ya ended up wiv a load of shite james, id be delivering it back promptly through there front room windows, wo betide goobs if theres anything wrong with mikes, i know what you spent and think u should get all the c1j stuff back for what you spent the turbo alone is a fortune:cry::cry::cry:

James5
12-04-2015, 09:41
Problem is if I give it all back he will have my new rebuilt engine so kinda pointless on that now. Do feel I am owed as the whole thing was scrap.

Goobie
12-04-2015, 17:57
Give him back all the broken parts and get your c1j back for free! :D I think I know some where you can keep it safe. ;):agree:

Tutuur
12-04-2015, 19:13
I've got a brand new .86 rear mate, could save you some cash;)

Trevhib
12-04-2015, 20:03
Oh dear :( That turbo is a mess.

James5
12-04-2015, 22:25
Well I have the GT28rs on its way back not being rebuilt as running out of cash due to my massive expenditure over the last month, but I have picked up GT28r for now, in a few months once I am running and have a few months driving out of it I may get the good parts of the RS added to the r to make it an RS.

Arthur when I have some cash I will have that .86 rear of you:agree:

James5
14-04-2015, 19:40
Ok looking promising now the GT28r has arrived today, I have rotated the housings to the correct positions, fitted my GT28rs actuator and set the cracking pressure to 19psi (might be a little high but easy to adjust rod later) blades spin nicely and a good thing no bearing hanging out the core, just awaiting my GT28rs back now as I need the adaptors back for the downpipe and the oil drain.

Had a bit of an issue with the car bodywork yesterday morning went to clean the car only to notice that something had sprayed the car and was not coming off, so a quick call to my valeter friend for some advice I started on the job he then turned up and took over :laugh:

James5
05-05-2015, 16:49
A quick update car is now back together and complete, went to crank / prime the car but engine was a little hard to turnover due to being a fresh build. Battery on charge and will remove sparkies next time help, and add another earth and check starter wiring just in case and issue

Jeff Ninebar
05-05-2015, 17:08
good work, see you in it tomorrow night then?:D

James5
05-05-2015, 19:39
good work, see you in it tomorrow night then?:D

I wish I just don't have the time between now and then to attempt to get it running, but at least it's in one piece now

Tutuur
05-05-2015, 19:51
Good to see it all back together!

James5
06-05-2015, 16:14
Issue found now I have removed the spark plugs, cranks over much better but but number 3 full of coolant, would appear MLS gasket not sealing properly, I had the block refaced when I had the work done to it, I didn't have the head done though. Anyway I have a spare head and will get that re-faced and pressure tested.

Jeff Ninebar
06-05-2015, 17:02
mate its like one thing after the other :cry:

James5
08-05-2015, 17:50
mate its like one thing after the other :cry:

Tell me about it Jeff, booked the day off work Monday to have a look and see what needs doing on it.

I have also picked up some bucket seats and will fit them on Monday and store the std stuff in the loft

James5
13-05-2015, 12:17
Suppose I should update, the car is almost back together bar the turbo downpipe and coolant. So another cylinder head fitted, another MLS gasket (this will be last one I buy before I start getting OE ones), New head bolts followed the 7stage process in the Haynes ( which seemed to click at 100nm on the torque wrench on final 107deg. Even fitted a new cambelt seeing as I have taken the last one on and off many a time (will keep it as spare).

Went to crank / prime it on the original battery which was fully charged only for it to rotate very slow, tested it and it was showing as holding charge but doing nothing so that's a dead battery. I then stole the Big Bosch battery out of the boost bus and crikey engine cranked / primed over very fast (much bigger battery than original). Went for a fire up but I could not get it fire / start, I have fuel injectors firing I have crank sensor signal, and car clearly turning over. I need to make sure it's sparking so will remove a plug and do the normal arc it out and see if it fires, this could be an ECU setting as I have gone wasted spark now (I have changed the setting's possible incorrect dwell timing) anyway due to lack of time I was unable to check these.

New VARTA D21 battery ordered should be with me today, considering locating this in the boot seeing as I still have a battery relocation kit from my EVO 6 spare.

I have also removed the OE seats and fitted a pair of Black cobra Monaco S buckets seats and black Cobra harnesses (stored the OE stuff in the loft)

R5MJH
13-05-2015, 12:38
come on james finger out, I want this running asap:cool:

James5
14-05-2015, 15:56
come on james finger out, I want this running asap:cool:

I am tempted to go play with the car in the rain this eve seeing as I plan on working within the car in relocating the battery to the boot and checking my wiring for the coilpack :agree:

Pic is a little boring just the new Varta D2 silver battery and alloy battery tray.

James5
14-05-2015, 21:56
Had a few mins to spare this eve so relocated the battery to the boot.

Also removed the ECU to have a look at the ecu file and realised that the injector trigger pattern was on quarter sequential no wonder it wouldn't start. ECU now amended and will try in next few days to start the car now nice bigger more powerfull battery fitted and correct ecu trigger setting's

James5
14-05-2015, 21:56
Just need to clean all the leaves out of where the battery used to be :agree:

James5
20-05-2015, 13:14
Ok, an update, head off and thrown in a close bush near by, would appear the new MLS is just scrap not even been able to start the car on this one just cranked over but look at state of the gasket.

Block rotates nicely with 19mm socket on the crank pulley,

Pic attached is head number 4 :laugh: with all the parts swapped over ready to bolt onto block pending the arrival of the new 1.3mm Engine dynamics head gasket and bolt's.

Decided to change the colour of the cam cover as gone of the blue it is actually Renault Glacier white just a bad pic (well Halfords rattle can version anyway) Do wonder how long it will stay this colour for:D

Trevhib
21-05-2015, 10:12
What a palaver this has been :(

You managed to get the rocker cover exactly the same colour as your tea tray :D

LeeR5GTT
21-05-2015, 15:23
Fingers crossed for this time mate

R5MJH
21-05-2015, 15:40

+1:agree:
this car better fecking start or it may get torched, this car has caused so many problems and money since the reliable c1j was removed, obviously the c1j was happy, mikes aint far behind i hope it starts too

James5
21-05-2015, 16:19
What a palaver this has been :(

You managed to get the rocker cover exactly the same colour as your tea tray :D

:agree::D Hopefully this is the end of it. Is a very close match to the tray :coffee:

Cheers Lee, bloody hope so :agree:

+1:agree:
this car better fecking start or it may get torched, this car has caused so many problems and money since the reliable c1j was removed, obviously the c1j was happy, mikes aint far behind i hope it starts too

Mick You know it :agree::smokin:

The ole C1J should be back on the road soon aswell as the new owner has put a high lift cam in situ in which is all it needed to get more out of it. Was a good setup

James5
21-05-2015, 22:49
Spent a couple of hours this eve on the car, progress attached

Few thing's left to do

Turbo oil feed fit,
Turbo oil drain pipe do up
Turbo Heatshield fit,
Devil Strut brace bolts,
Fit battery back in boot,
Replace the broken brown coolant sensor plug,
Turbo downpipe bolt's,
Check cambelt tension again,
Fill with coolant,

Turning the engine over with socket on the crank pulley just to make sure turns ok

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/th_20150521_211220_zpslupdcfam.mp4 (http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/20150521_211220_zpslupdcfam.mp4)

kial
22-05-2015, 07:46
There is no flys on you James. Well done

James5
22-05-2015, 17:06
Not done any work on the car today but popped in an took a pic of the bay in daylight

James5
01-06-2015, 12:08
172 starter now fitted some amendments required to boost run and turbo compressor angle. This is due to new starter solenoid being on the top now and not on the side.

Can't touch car for few weeks now as I had surgery (ongoing medical issue) so just been ordering more parts to hopefully finalise.

James5
03-06-2015, 15:24
List of things to do - When medically well to do,

Charge the battery,
Remove starter and put locating dowel in correct place for 172 starter (Outer hole),
Finish of the re-routed turbo coolant pipes,
Re-do boost pipe run due to compressor housing outlet relocation,
Drill the scuttle for air filter relocation,
Mount the new air filter in scuttle location,
Top up with coolant,
Run it drive it,
Get it mapped

Tutuur
03-06-2015, 16:59
Almost there mate:agree:

James5
09-06-2015, 12:41
Small Update, even though I have been off work due to some surgery I spent an hour last night down with the car and managed to do quite a bit, relocated air filter to scuttle battery location, made bracket to support air filter, fitted the turbo downpipe to exhaust lower gasket, finished the modified turbo coolant run, finished the changed boost pipe run, filled and bleed the coolant system.

Things left to do, -

Exhaust clamp 2 x 13mm nuts,
Cut 80mm hole into scuttle for air filter ducting(Due to air filter relocation),
Charge the battery,
Fingers crossed and prey:sos::sos::sos::sos::sos:,
Start the car

kial
09-06-2015, 20:47
Keep up the good work mate your posts are the only thing keeping me motivated :)

James5
09-06-2015, 22:06
Keep up the good work mate your posts are the only thing keeping me motivated :)

:laugh: Glad one of us feels motivated:agree:. This fecking starter crap is pissing me off

Wallace
10-06-2015, 08:42
Fingers crossed and prey:sos::sos::sos::sos::sos:

:laugh: i'm sure the RTOC Community will be with you in spirit when you turn the key:agree:

James5
10-06-2015, 12:58
Fingers crossed and prey:sos::sos::sos::sos::sos:

:laugh: i'm sure the RTOC Community will be with you in spirit when you turn the key:agree:

:agree: Well I actually got it started still doesn't sound great, have had a look at the flywheel and ideally it could do with replacing (job to do when engine next comes out) I had to ditch the starter locating dowel was pushing the starter to hard against the flywheel, in the end I had to move the starter motor as far to rear of engine and as high as I could get it and then bolt it up.

I also finished a few niggly bits this morning, just awaiting the air filter ducting pipe to arrive still, and I still need to fit the turbo actuator to the wastegate (Pain in the arse to get the retaining C-clip on) but that's it mechanically for now I hope.

Well it kinda started LOL its progress anyway

ECU now back at mine so I can look at the triggers settings and crank positons.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/F7pt%20conversion/th_20150610_100711_zpsr3ossesg.mp4 (http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/F7pt%20conversion/20150610_100711_zpsr3ossesg.mp4)

danr5Gtt
10-06-2015, 18:02
Great to hear James, can't believe you ditched me dowel lol :agree:

see you at Pod mate :)

James5
12-06-2015, 21:05
Well few more issues the oil cooler decided to split :-( whilst cranking over so I lost a fair bit of oil :-( (shame the oil cooler has covered less than 600 miles and a few pod runs).

Never mind bought new one of ebay thankfully the sellers business premises is 15mins from me so got it quick and now fitted.

Also noted this eve when I popped over to do a few minor thing's that 2 pins on the ecu plugs were not going into the ecu correctly sorted that out turned the key and it starts, sounds tappety and sounded like running on 3 but at least it's now working :-)

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/F7pt%20conversion/th_20150612_191015_zpsm60bbt29.mp4 (http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/F7pt%20conversion/20150612_191015_zpsm60bbt29.mp4)

R5MJH
12-06-2015, 21:18
james this is the beat news ive heard all day and u know what my day was like

get it ready for pod now if u get the time as ya still not fully recovered yet

still god james:agree:

James5
18-06-2015, 13:21
Noisey lifters but hopefully will settle

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/F7pt%20conversion/th_20150618_114439_zpsvj2ic1s1.mp4 (http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/G567%20SMR/F7pt%20conversion/20150618_114439_zpsvj2ic1s1.mp4)

Only few things to sort,

Rev counter does't seem to be working anymore so will check connections, also need to work out why if I hold the revs at around 2000rpm's it say 100% cut on the injectors line

R5MJH
18-06-2015, 22:11
well done james its alive and done its first trip to brighton

cant wait for pod now:D

my fat @rse fits in the Monaco's too:agree:

James5
18-06-2015, 23:28
well done james its alive and done its first trip to brighton

cant wait for pod now:D

my fat @rse fits in the Monaco's too:agree:

:D:agree:
Covered 44 miles in the ole girl lifters nice and quiet now, only 2 small issues, but nothing major, throttle cable gets stuck and holds revs at 3000rpm's, the car dies on idle when coming up to any fecking junction (software related going to have a read on how to adjust idle via software).

Other than that all good:agree: All fluids at correct levels forgot how hot these engine's run:laugh:

R5MJH
18-06-2015, 23:33
Covered 44 miles in the ole girl lifters nice and quiet now, only 2 small issues, but nothing major, throttle cable gets stuck and holds revs at 3000rpm's, the car dies on idle when coming up to any fecking junction (software related going to have a read on how to adjust idle via software).

Other than that all good:agree: All fluids at correct levels forgot how hot these engine's run:laugh:

kin hell the heat of the back of the engine was unreal, couldn't be more happy for you jim

just don't roll this 1:laugh: what bhp do you recon it would be running now?

turbo ted
18-06-2015, 23:46

You can adjust the old skool way at throttle body like on a carb James

Goobie
19-06-2015, 00:09
Good good James, no reason not to see it at the Brighton meet! :agree:

Ps, Come on Mick, taking your time with Freddy aren't you........ :cooter:

Jeff Ninebar
19-06-2015, 10:51
Glad to hear its up and running now James, will you drive it up to pod now?

James5
19-06-2015, 14:36
Glad to hear its up and running now James, will you drive it up to pod now?

Jeff the plan is to take the ole girl :agree: noticed a couple of leaks this morning, gear selctor C clip seems to be missing:scratch: Hoping Someone may be able to take one or have spare for me at pod.

And the fecking fuel tank has a leak aswell:crap:

kial
21-06-2015, 22:36
Jeff the plan is to take the ole girl :agree: noticed a couple of leaks this morning, gear selctor C clip seems to be missing:scratch: Hoping Someone may be able to take one or have spare for me at pod.

And the fecking fuel tank has a leak aswell:crap:

Is it leaking from the bung on the side?

James5
28-06-2015, 20:05
Couple of pic's, this is how she has sat since the retro day, hopefully pull my finger out this week and get the engine out sort the crank seals, sort the turbo oil, replace the turbo rear housing for the bigger .86 I got from Arthur (Tutuur) many thanks buddy, replace the OS drive-shaft, modify the down pipe mating flange to sidey exit so it doesn't catch on everything. Ohh and replace the gearbox C clip as well (Many thanks Mike aka phase i 16v turbo)

Also picked up some mint turbines and had my goodyear eagle f1 tyres put onto them all but now not sure I am keen on them on my 5. (so they maybe on sale be up for a little more than I paid seeing as they have almost brand new tyres on now)

JRP
28-06-2015, 21:11
My old car looks good, how much jim bob for le turbines

Tutuur
28-06-2015, 21:33
Why are you replacing the C clip mate? Has it popped out before?

James5
28-06-2015, 21:49
Why are you replacing the C clip mate? Has it popped out before?

not the big C clip which you see when you pull drive shaft out ( i welded that one in)no this is the little one under the gearbox which selector rod goes on it's the first time it's popped out Mike has sent me a new white thing and the C clip to hold in place:agree:

James5
28-06-2015, 21:51
My old car looks good, how much jim bob for le turbines

Cheers Jerps tried to keep it std looking exterior wise:agree:

Tutuur
28-06-2015, 22:58
Ah, completely forgot! The one you lost on your way down from Pod

James5
29-06-2015, 23:23
Well yet again some bad news this eve not what I was expecting I ordered a brand new .86 rear housing yesterday and I thought I would strip the rear housing of my current turbo GT28r down ready for the new one only to find the blades damaged:-( the turbo looks perfect from the outside on the fins. Think this must have been like this before I got it considering we drove like grannies to santa pod and I was only boosting max of 3psi.

So that's 2 x GT series turbo's now paperweights,

So I decided to take the plunge and this eve ordered a brand new genuine garrett GT2871r from germany with the .86 rear, I also ordered a set of Deka 630cc injectors. This should be with me mid next week, in the meantime I will replace the crank seals and get it all ready to go back in with the new bits when they arrive.

Ill get some pic's of turbo tomorrow

R5MJH
29-06-2015, 23:52
this is shite news james, it seems not all people are not genuine when they sell there stuff, u will at least know this is proper as its new like mikes, your luck with this car has been 2nd to none james nothings gone right at all, this will put u on the right path now anyways, your injectors are similiar to mikes 650cc ones:agree:

JRP
30-06-2015, 10:27
Fido' curse it seems

James5
30-06-2015, 11:28
Fido' curse it seems

:agree: Does seem a bit like that

Tutuur
30-06-2015, 13:35
Wonder how the oe ignition system will cope, better bring all your wasted spark stuff along to Scoff might it be a problem

James5
30-06-2015, 14:08
Wonder how the oe ignition system will cope, better bring all your wasted spark stuff along to Scoff might it be a problem

I was going to install it all again when engine goes back in :-)

OE ignition system should be fine though if you look at Armajits setup

James5
01-07-2015, 22:22
Well decided not to go to the surrey meet this eve but to spend some time on the 5, so I have now replaced both crank seals, replaced the flywheel for another clio 172 / 182 jobbie, torqued everything up, fitted the cam belt and set the tension, fitted re-useable PTFE cam cover gasket and ptfe TB gasket, I have the inlet to fit but no point until engine is in the car. The only reason I have used these gaskets is the fact they are re-usable.

http://www.powergaskets.co.uk/#!renault/cnjq

Looks like I need to source a decent exhaust manifold gasket as the new one I have on would appear to be blowing in several locations :crap: (no bother as engine out of the car is an easy task.

Engine is now awaiting the arrival of the new GT2871r before I can put it back in the car (Then I will have to drill out the mounting holes to M10 size).

Trevhib
02-07-2015, 09:37
Labour of love this :)

Often in the past I've seen problem cars finally tamed through bloody perseverance, only for the owner to sell it on, cause of the pain of the process. I hope you see this through to fruition and then enjoy those fruits of your labour James. :agree:

JRP
02-07-2015, 16:28
Well decided not to go to the surrey meet this eve but to spend some time on the 5, so I have now replaced both crank seals, replaced the flywheel for another clio 172 / 182 jobbie, torqued everything up, fitted the cam belt and set the tension, fitted re-useable PTFE cam cover gasket and ptfe TB gasket, I have the inlet to fit but no point until engine is in the car. The only reason I have used these gaskets is the fact they are re-usable.

http://www.powergaskets.co.uk/#!renault/cnjq

Looks like I need to source a decent exhaust manifold gasket as the new one I have on would appear to be blowing in several locations :crap: (no bother as engine out of the car is an easy task.

Engine is now awaiting the arrival of the new GT2871r before I can put it back in the car (Then I will have to drill out the mounting holes to M10 size).

Keep at it, Bessie loves the attention trust me.

James5
02-07-2015, 21:54
Keep at it, Bessie loves the attention trust me.

Bessie :laugh:

James5
07-07-2015, 18:31
Slow progress still awaiting the arrival of the new turbo :-( issues with courier company (DHL).

To save some time I decided to drop the lump in with no turbo attached, I also replaced the OSF driveshaft at this point for a refurbed one the gaitor had a small hole, i also fitted the gearstick spring kit I picked up of Mike some time back aswell. I managed to damage a steering track rod end thread so new one is now on route now aswell :-)

Couple of pics how car stands at mo:(

James5
08-07-2015, 11:42
Some new parts arrived :agree:

630cc deka's
turbo drain gasket for a turbo that will eventually arrive from Germany

MOT booked in,
Scoff booked in for mapping

James5
09-07-2015, 12:37
New turbo has arrived:agree:

Tutuur
09-07-2015, 13:29
Lovely mate, now get it running again this weekend!

James5
09-07-2015, 16:39
Lovely mate, now get it running again this weekend!

I'll have to try do that before the weekend, Mot booked Saturday morning

James5
12-07-2015, 13:06
Not been a good weekend, managed to get the car all back together only to find out that the exhaust manifold gasket that has only covered the drive to and from Santa Pod has blown :-( not sure where I got it from in the first place. So ordered a genuine Renault one from http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/

Also been thinking about possible heat issues for the master cylinder and brake lines, was looking into turbo blankets but decided against this, and I have a clio turbo heatshield spare so I started to hack it up to fit the R5, plan is to get it to fit nice and then cover it in a heat reflective material to make it looks respectable. Pic attached of it in situ after alot of material has been taken off.

I also had Mick (R5mjh) modify my turbo down pipe mating flange to exhaust as it would catch on everything just cut it off and re-welded it back on 90 deg job done.

James5
15-07-2015, 22:54
Can't believe a year to the date I started working on the White 5 GTT, only a year and look how many changes the car has had, unbelievable.

Worked on the car this eve, new exhaust manifold gasket fitted with new copper nut's, fitted the Gt2871r, things left to do replace brake lines with the braided versions I have got and sort this bloody fuel tank leak.

Anyone got a decent std tank available?? that does not leak

JRP
16-07-2015, 08:48
Can't believe a year to the date I started working on the White 5 GTT, only a year and look how many changes the car has had, unbelievable.

Worked on the car this eve, new exhaust manifold gasket fitted with new copper nut's, fitted the Gt2871r, things left to do replace brake lines with the braided versions I have got and sort this bloody fuel tank leak.

Anyone got a decent std tank available?? that does not leak

Strange how it's a year and in its place is another white beauty.
I did have that tank changed can't believe it's leaking already..

I'm so happy I sold it to you as you have done the car proud. It looks perfect and I'm sure old Bessie is happy, thanks for getting her finished where I couldn't.

Goobie
16-07-2015, 15:10
If your looking to go to the trouble of removing the tank, you may as well just fix the one you got buddy as they all fail at the bung sooner or later. :agree:

James5
16-07-2015, 19:06
If your looking to go to the trouble of removing the tank, you may as well just fix the one you got buddy as they all fail at the bung sooner or later. :agree:

:agree::agree:Goobie, thin k you are right I may aswell fix this one with the old soldering iron and plastic trick

Nottswoody
16-07-2015, 19:40
:agree::agree:Goobie, thin k you are right I may aswell fix this one with the old soldering iron and plastic trick

I need todo mine. Is it a case of just melt it? Is there not something I can buy to smother it with? I'm just worried as the tanks been off and empty a while now..:scratch:

Milky
16-07-2015, 20:02
I always just used the black silicone from Halfords. Never leaked once I sealed it with that 😀 same gear you would use to seal the sump etc

James5
24-07-2015, 17:34
Update MOT passed this morning no advisories :-)

Tracking being sorted Monday morning:agree::D, then mapping on Tuesday:scared:

Tutuur
24-07-2015, 17:59
Everything coming together now then mate:agree:

Trevhib
24-07-2015, 18:33
Everything coming together now then mate:agree:

Just hold up there, there are a lot of things that could happen between now and Tuesday :scared:

Fingers crossed James :agree:

James5
24-07-2015, 19:17
Just hold up there, there are a lot of things that could happen between now and Tuesday :scared:

Fingers crossed James :agree:

I know Trev, my main concern is the turbo oil drain sits so close to the driveshaft gaitor on the block I have modified the rtn pipe but still so close.

I really need a custom made alloy turbo oil drain pipe that literally needs to run flush with the block.

philr5t
25-07-2015, 20:18
James when my tank was leaking I used fibre glass round the bung and it's still perfect to this day mate

chunk552
25-07-2015, 21:27
I have only just got round to reading all this thread :scratch: great work James and Jeez you move quick with work :coffee:
I need to speed up :scared:

James5
25-07-2015, 23:15
Cheer's guy's, I managed to drop the tank enough to allow me good access to the bung, pulled out what must have been an old repair, cleaned it up and I used some Special fuel resistant putty to bung the hole, not sure the leak is fully gone, it's defo from the bung area maybe on the outside rather than the inside of the bung area.

Trevhib
26-07-2015, 11:29
At least you know what the issue is for sure and can get to it without too much hassle, even if it takes a few goes to nail it. :agree:

James5
17-08-2015, 20:38
Well not updated in a while had a few issues, managed to cover 966miles on the engine and on my way to mapping only 59 miles from Scoff's whilst cruising at 65mph after been driving for 4hours with no issues's I suddenly hear a horrible noise from the bottom end luckily I managed to coast the car from the dual carriageway to a service station.

Yes RAC were called. Whilst I was awaiting I took the opportunity to have a KFC at this point my mind was pondering and next thing I had stripped the front end off and managed to get the sump off to have a look at the damage. Yep spun a big end shell:crap: