PDA

View Full Version : R5 oil feed

Dawsie
07-07-2014, 09:49
Hi iv got feeling my oil feed to the turbo is not working, as the oil return pipe to the sump is dry! Is there any way of testing this? How much oil should it push through?

Thanks

James5
07-07-2014, 10:31
That's bad if thats the case, best thing to check for flow is firstly unplug the TDC sensor connection so car won't startup, remove the feed to the turbo and put it into a clear bottle crank the car over and see if it's flowing out of the feed pipe, if it is put it back in place and undo the drain pipe and place a plastic container underneath the turbo and crank again see if it flows through turbo core. If it does flow I would suggest the fitment of an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to see what oil pressure the turbo is getting

Trevhib
07-07-2014, 10:32
If there is no oil flow through the turbo, the turbo will be knackered extremely quickly. Have you been running the car?

You can remove the oil feed to the turbo and crank the car over (remove the king lead or similar to stop the car from firing up), to check that you have flow. There should be plenty coming through once the oil pressure is up after a few turns of the engine, IIRC.

Trevhib
07-07-2014, 10:33
Rats, beaten to it by 1 minute, lol :D

Edit - except James's advice is much better.

Nad-5GTT
07-07-2014, 11:31
Hi iv got feeling my oil feed to the turbo is not working, as the oil return pipe to the sump is dry! Is there any way of testing this? How much oil should it push through?

Thanks

Take the pipe off from the top off the turbo and put it in a small container, disconnect the main spark plug king lead and then turn the engine over by the key. You should see oil flow through almost straight away.

Dawsie
07-07-2014, 11:51
Thanks guys just tried this and loads of oil is coming out, so I put it back on and put a bottle under the return, start it up and loads came out again! So hopefully it's all ok!

James5
07-07-2014, 12:24
Thanks guys just tried this and loads of oil is coming out, so I put it back on and put a bottle under the return, start it up and loads came out again! So hopefully it's all ok!

:agree: Good man, be a worth while investment in a mechanical aftermarket oil pressure gauge to make sure you are getting the correct oil pressure.

Dawsie
07-07-2014, 13:09
:agree: Good man, be a worth while investment in a mechanical aftermarket oil pressure gauge to make sure you are getting the correct oil pressure.

I have got one! Where do I connect the wires on the standard one which is on the side of the block? What should the pressure be?
Thanks

James5
07-07-2014, 13:14
I have got one! Where do I connect the wires on the standard one which is on the side of the block? What should the pressure be?
Thanks

You have an aftermarket gauge? please don't rely on the std dash one it's known to give incorrect reading's.

Oil pressure will vary on hot or cold engine and also on the viscosity of the oil type you are using,

On a cold engine you will prob see around 45-50psi until warm then idle will be around 10-15 psi, as you increase the revs the oil pressure should go up to a max of around 45-50psi. So on a warm engine at 2000rpms you want to see around 20psi, @ 3000 rpms 30psi etc....

Dawsie
07-07-2014, 13:19
What an aftermarket one? don't rely on the std dash one it's known to give incorrect reading's.

Oil pressure will vary on hot or cold engine and also on the viscosity of the oil type you are using,

On a cold engine you will prob see around 45-50psi until warm then idle will be around 10-15 psi, as you increase the revs the oil pressure should go up to a max of around 45-50psi. So on a warm engine at 2000rpms you want to see around 20psi, @ 3000 rpms 30psi etc....

Not really sure what one it is! All I no it has two power wires and two wires which go to the sensor, I'll try putting it on later today and see what it is.

James5
07-07-2014, 13:21
Not really sure what one it is! All I no it has two power wires and two wires which go to the sensor, I'll try putting it on later today and see what it is.

Does it have it's own sensor with the aftermarket kit you have or does it use the std OE gtt sensor?

Dawsie
07-07-2014, 13:22
Does it have it's own sensor with the aftermarket kit you have or does it use the std OE gtt sensor?

It has got another sensor with it, but was hoping I could use the std sensor on the car now?

James5
07-07-2014, 13:32
It has got another sensor with it, but was hoping I could use the std sensor on the car now?

You will have to fit your sensor as they gauge will not match the OE sender output. Best way to fit your new kit is take off the full oil feed pipe from the banjo bolt @ block take it and the sender to a local Pirtek get them to supply an item and then bolt it back on you then just need to do the necessary wiring to allow a reading

James5
07-07-2014, 13:34
You will have to fit your sensor as they gauge will not match the OE sender output. Best way to fit your new kit is take off the full oil feed pipe from the banjo bolt @ block take it and the sender to a local Pirtek get them to supply an item and then bolt it back on you then just need to do the necessary wiring to allow a reading

Looking at your location Markey Mark is local and i am sure if you get stuck he can point you in the right direction of a place to go for the fixings / adaptors:agree:

Dawsie
07-07-2014, 14:21
Ok thanks alot

James5
07-07-2014, 14:31
Ok thanks alot

:agree:Your welcome hope it helps:coffee: