PDA

View Full Version : Mind of its own

gimme5
23-06-2014, 21:49
Hi, can any one shed some light on this.
The car runs fine for about +/- 5 mins then the fuel pump cuts out and the car stalls. If i bridge the fuel pump relay so the pump is running all the time it still won't start (fly wheel sensor?) If left alone for a while and relay as it should be it starts then the same problem comes back. I tried my relay in another 5 and it ran ok, though I didn't run it for more than a couple of mins, as I wasn't fully aware of the problem at that stage, I've also put a new fuel pump on, where do I need to look next, crank sensor, ecu? Or what have I missed, Any help please as I'm pulling my hair out.

Markey Mark (BD)
23-06-2014, 22:00
Try the aei unit relay mate, that's been a common issue for cars cutting out recently. To eliminate it I would bridge the relay plug out and see if it cuts out anymore

gimme5
23-06-2014, 22:41
Thanks for that, what colour wires to i need to bridge?

gimme5
24-06-2014, 09:18
Try the aei unit relay mate, that's been a common issue for cars cutting out recently. To eliminate it I would bridge the relay plug out and see if it cuts out anymore

Right I bridged the relay plug out and it still does the same. Once it stalled I checked to see if there was a spark by laying the king lead on the rocker and turned it over and there was no spark or fuel pump kicking in,but 10 mins later there is a spark and pump kicks in and runs then the cycle repeats? Anyone had this before!!

Markey Mark (BD)
24-06-2014, 10:08
Right I bridged the relay plug out and it still does the same. Once it stalled I checked to see if there was a spark by laying the king lead on the rocker and turned it over and there was no spark or fuel pump kicking in,but 10 mins later there is a spark and pump kicks in and runs then the cycle repeats? Anyone had this before!!

If your loosing spark and fuel you either got tdc lead issue, aei unit fail (very rare) of the relay issue weather that will be bad relay or wiring.
Check the power plug going to the aei unit too

Regarding which wires to bridge out on the aei unit relay (its sat next to it) i think it was the middle one and outer one which points upwards in relation to the relay (some pins face sideways). Trouble is most of them are yellow! :laugh:
Its the main 12v feed and the one going to the aei unit to want to loop together just to make sure

gimme5
24-06-2014, 19:53
If your loosing spark and fuel you either got tdc lead issue, aei unit fail (very rare) of the relay issue weather that will be bad relay or wiring.
Check the power plug going to the aei unit too

Regarding which wires to bridge out on the aei unit relay (its sat next to it) i think it was the middle one and outer one which points upwards in relation to the relay (some pins face sideways). Trouble is most of them are yellow! :laugh:
Its the main 12v feed and the one going to the aei unit to want to loop together just to make sure

I'm at a loss now, tryed a different relay still the same then tryed a AEI of my mates car and still the occurring problem runs for about 10 mins then dies again? It's as if when something warms up it cuts out or possibly immobiliser will investigate all the wiring tomorrow had enough for today.

TopCat
24-06-2014, 20:33
TDC sensor id be looking at champ

gimme5
24-06-2014, 21:16
TDC sensor id be looking at champ

What could be happening to the TDC sensor that allows it to run for 10 mins then die and then start up again?

Jonny5
24-06-2014, 22:27
What could be happening to the TDC sensor that allows it to run for 10 mins then die and then start up again?

A failure caused by heat?

gimme5
25-06-2014, 19:12
A failure caused by heat?

I've ran out of time now, it will have to wait a few weeks till I get back from work. I Wil try a different TDC sensor when I get back.

J$£5GTT
25-06-2014, 22:06
I've ran out of time now, it will have to wait a few weeks till I get back from work. I Wil try a different TDC sensor when I get back.

HI MATE!
i have owned gtt's for over ten years now,and dont know everything about them but i do know that when its cutting out you look at the following-

fuel pump relay
TDC
relay next to AEI
fuel pump
earths
dizzy+rotor arm
leads+king lead

other/non electrical-
fuel filter
idle jet

my raider was just cutting out couple weeks ago,only just got round to sorting it.

fixed it with a new TDC lead.
:agree::)

gimme5
25-06-2014, 22:10
HI MATE!
i have owned gtt's for over ten years now,and dont know everything about them but i do know that when its cutting out you look at the following-

fuel pump relay
TDC
relay next to AEI
fuel pump
earths
dizzy+rotor arm
leads+king lead

other/non electrical-
fuel filter
idle jet

my raider was just cutting out couple weeks ago,only just got round to sorting it.

fixed it with a new TDC lead.
:agree::)

Yer I'm hoping its the TDC I've checked everything else that you've listed, will let you know when I get back.

philr5t
25-06-2014, 22:49
Have you got an immobiliser on the car mate if you have this is exactly where I'd be looking

gimme5
28-06-2014, 19:29
Have you got an immobiliser on the car mate if you have this is exactly where I'd be looking

I have, I will also check this when I get back.
Thanks

gimme5
17-07-2014, 22:42
Yer I'm hoping its the TDC I've checked everything else that you've listed, will let you know when I get back.

Well after being at work for a few weeks, I replaced the TDC and Bingo it's being running fine since, thanks for the advice guys.