PDA

View Full Version : Engine dynamics? Any one used them?

Bubblebagmagic
23-06-2014, 18:55
Hi guys, well after loosing all faith in the 5, I've finally been to church and restored all faith back into her, first of all stripping the car out to get new sills and some weilding done, fresh paint job, then a forge engine I think is on the a gender, first would just like to get some feedback or knowlage of anyone who has delt with engine dynamics as I plan on using them for the build! As they claim to of built more 5 engines then anywhere else, All thoughts and input would be gladly appreciated, all the best guys

Charlie
23-06-2014, 20:58
Build yourself then you know what you have got, easy engine to build.

Bubblebagmagic
23-06-2014, 21:26
I'm no merchanic mate wish I could do it myself

Rob1980
24-06-2014, 09:33
I assume that they are tuners? They normally charge quite a lot in labour and the work done is not always up to standard. You would be far better off asking if someone on here could do it, no one will know the engine better.

Do you mind if I ask how much they are charging for this?

Also forge components are not really required unless you are planning on running serious power...?

Os8472
24-06-2014, 13:03
Engine dynamics were formally know as BBPTunning, I'll make no comments on their history, a simple search of the forum will turn up their track record.

Yes buy parts from them but put it together yourself

Bubblebagmagic
24-06-2014, 14:15
Basicly I've had shit loads of bad luck, from buying the car, buying new engine and garages taking the piss, yes serious power would be what I'm looking for, 250-300 bhp if possible :-), I have thought about buying the parts seperate and getting them installed but just a tad clueless, there standard package is 1500, then the forged one is 3000, just in the middle of stripping the car need some weilding doing aswell any suggestion who to recommend on here?

TopCat
24-06-2014, 14:28
Pm'd you chap

phase i 16 v turbo
24-06-2014, 14:29
300 BHP talk with Phil5 turbo I think you will need a larger budget

Bubblebagmagic
24-06-2014, 15:21
Many thanks for the pms! First is to tackle stripping, then hopeing next month engine work, I have one engine that is a low compression but sounds like I have piston slap, engine sounds like an old deisle van, then the other engine I have that came with the car was done by holbay, I get to 50mph no matter what gear or how I got the car to that speed it would not go any further and car would judder bad, cylinder one was I think 65 psi, on compression test, was told it could be piston liners piston rings head valves, so that's when I brought the low compression engine gearbox clutch and turbo 25/28 for 800, had a garage put the engine in and they let the ****er overheat but I couldn't prove that they had done it, but funny how they told me it was ok cum get the car then by the time I get there it overheats and pops the expansion bottle top,

Dave Reed
24-06-2014, 20:18
Fella I'm not being funny but 250 to 300hp is no easy task and would need constant maintenance.

If like you say you're no mechanic then unless you've got plenty of money I'd stick with a more resonable 200hp.. If you've never been in a 5 with that sort of power you will soon find out its about enough.

Nottswoody
24-06-2014, 20:26
300 BHP talk with Phil5 turbo I think you will need a larger budget

I would say double that myself.

butch
24-06-2014, 21:30
I used them for my engine rebuild over last winter. I talked to a few more local to me but also took advice from Scoff and finally took the plunge with Andy junior ( who runs the business front end) and his dad Andy senior who is the spanner man. I gave them a specific target, 220bhp or thereabouts, driveable ( not too much lag ) and suited to my form of motorsport - short runs rather than lappery. I found their knowledge and advice invaluable and in 8 events so far this season I've had not one single issue and I've broken class records and currently leading Harewood Hillclimb after 3 events.
Once built I took the car back to Scoffs for a turbo upgrade and set-up and the car has run brilliantly up to now, I'm at 3 Sisters and Aintree along with Russell Thorpe this weekend so hopefully the car will continue to perform.
I wouldn't look anywhere else.
If you want any more info pm me

Rob1980
24-06-2014, 22:21
Basicly I've had shit loads of bad luck, from buying the car, buying new engine and garages taking the piss, yes serious power would be what I'm looking for, 250-300 bhp if possible :-), I have thought about buying the parts seperate and getting them installed but just a tad clueless, there standard package is 1500, then the forged one is 3000, just in the middle of stripping the car need some weilding doing aswell any suggestion who to recommend on here?

For £3000 you could buy a really good example that is running a realiable 180 - 200bhp. I think that says it all about the cost of having this done....

180bhp in a 5 is more than enough for road use. This was be around 215bhp per ton which is the same sort of power/weight ratio as a 300bhp Evo...

Bubblebagmagic
25-06-2014, 17:55
Yes I understand the cost but with the luck I have mate I would not buy another one, just thought if I was going to get a rs focus mk2 but I would liturly be Skint every month for two years or put a few grand into the renault which at least I know I done the engine, plus I've just stripped the whole car and the shell is mint, just one jacking point ****ed up, and can get it sorted with the parts for 300, although the bad luck is partially my nieveness on lack of knowlage and also trusting to many peoples judgment that new not a great deal, I thought id just try and keep a good car going as not to many around,

Bubblebagmagic
25-06-2014, 17:59
Really appritiate all info tho! :-) and thanks to the people who inboxes me, once shell is done I will let people know what will be happening, defo thinking of buying the bits online as already worked out cheaper!

Bubblebagmagic
25-06-2014, 18:10
300bhp is prob a bit extreme but 200-250 will in car boost control would defo be the aim, and if it will cost less then the 3000 grand build from engine dynamics then I will obviously do that, I just want a reliable built engine, I currently have so far! Gt tunning cybercooler, 2 group a carbs, a knife edge crank, lighten and balanced flywheel, and a reprofiled tornado camshaft, 2 turbos t2, 1 t25/t28, uprated springs, gas flowed head on both heads not sure if heads are good tho?! One low compression, one std But this is what I have between the two engines I own already, if any of them items are of use for the next build then I will use them aswell,

Rob1980
25-06-2014, 21:14
The Group A Carbs I assume are the ones that tuners sell so they probably just have an enlarged main. Basically no good.

You will need to set up your carb to match your car to make sure that you get the fuelling correct. You can do this yourself with an AFR gauge and there is plenty of info on here about it.

I am not a big fan of Boost controllers.... people I know will disagree with me but I still struggle to see how you can set up a carb to fuel correctly for say 15psi and 24psi! To me that are asking for trouble...

Nad-5GTT
25-06-2014, 21:41
I am not a big fan of Boost controllers.... people I know will disagree with me but I still struggle to see how you can set up a carb to fuel correctly for say 15psi and 24psi! To me that are asking for trouble...

:agree:

Bubblebagmagic
27-06-2014, 15:03
When u put it that way on the boost controllers I think ill prob blank that then, can understand that to a tee! Next job strip the in car boost controller out

HAndy
27-06-2014, 16:47
Your budget would be better spent building an f engine turbo, you will get 300bhp easy, without really trying.... And you will have a reliable engine;) as others have said the c1 j is going to be unreliable at 25psi + to get 230 bhp, and you won't get the Ftlb gain also, although the jb3 box won't last to long, neither will the jc5 box(172) at around300ftlb, the choice is yours but personally having driven been passenger in both set ups, I can assure you the f engine is soooooo much better than the c1j. The purists here will argue but if your after that power it really is hands down the best way forward.

HAndy
27-06-2014, 16:58
As rob mentioned also tuning a carb is really not the way foward for big boost, way to many fuel issues to deal with within the rpm range, efi is the only way foward for 100%reliability, by the time you factor in that cost alone, it makes the later f engine so much more fesible:)

Bubblebagmagic
27-06-2014, 17:11
Yer I do see your point mate I think the 300 bhp was a bit on the high side, but 200-250 would be what I'm after, still in the c1j tho as that's the engine that comes with the car, Id see about the efi conversion tho if it ment scrapping that carb, just not sure if I have the money yet! Was that efi conversion In a red gtt in fast French mag? I saw something once about a guy using throttle bodies or sumit making about 300+ from the c1j is that the efi coversion?

Bubblebagmagic
27-06-2014, 17:13
Can any one tell me what the paint code is for the electric blue on my 5? Or shall I get it scanned?

HAndy
27-06-2014, 17:29
Yer I do see your point mate I think the 300 bhp was a bit on the high side, but 200-250 would be what I'm after, still in the c1j tho as that's the engine that comes with the car, Id see about the efi conversion tho if it ment scrapping that carb, just not sure if I have the money yet! Was that efi conversion In a red gtt in fast French mag? I saw something once about a guy using throttle bodies or sumit making about 300+ from the c1j is that the efi coversion?

The efi inlet manifolds that Michael sells are the spot on for the c1j, and offer the best performance per £cost, you will need stand alone ecu along with 285profile cam and t25/28 to really make the engine sing, along with a nice free flowing 2 1/2 system :cool:

Bubblebagmagic
29-06-2014, 19:37
I have a tornado cam from holbay, not sure what spec but know it ran the gt tunning stage 7 competition turbo back in the day! I have another cam but not sur if it that one is there anyway to tell? Also have t25/28 too :-)

Bubblebagmagic
29-06-2014, 19:37
With a 2 1/2 inch straight through scorpion exhorst

Trevhib
30-06-2014, 10:36
Can any one tell me what the paint code is for the electric blue on my 5? Or shall I get it scanned?

Is the paint original? If so, take a pic of your chassis plate and upload so we can see what the code it.

Paint codes have been discussed a number of times on the boards very recently.

Trevhib
30-06-2014, 11:30
I have a tornado cam from holbay, not sure what spec but know it ran the gt tunning stage 7 competition turbo back in the day! I have another cam but not sur if it that one is there anyway to tell? Also have t25/28 too :-)

If there are no marks/stamps on the cam to tell you what it is, you'd have to have an engineering company to measure the profiles of the cam lobes and then compare them to the different cam manufacturers' specs to see which one it is.

'GT tuning stage 7' doesn't mean anything. GT Tuning just used fancy names for the turbos they sold that they sourced from manufacturers. What's important to know about a turbo is its specification (housing, turbine/compressor wheel sizes etc).

If you don't know the spec of the cam or the turbo, you can't know whether they will suit each other, or what power range/performance they are likely to produce until the point you fit them and find out on the road, which could produce anything from elation to desolation.

Trevhib
30-06-2014, 11:31
With a 2 1/2 inch straight through scorpion exhorst

I think Scorpion produced 2" and 2 1/4" after-market exhausts for the GTT.

Bubblebagmagic
30-06-2014, 13:35
Is the paint original? If so, take a pic of your chassis plate and upload so we can see what the code it.

Paint codes have been discussed a number of times on the boards very recently.

Hi mate I think the car was red when built, as the doors are red on the inside but I will check, I've just seen some threads regarding paint colours many thanks

Bubblebagmagic
30-06-2014, 14:07
Ok, well as holbay don't exist anymore ill just have to scrap that, I'm sure the turbo had a 360 roller barring in it not sure about housings ect suppose gt tunning could tell me what it was, I'll have to dig the folder out so people can see the receipts

Trevhib
30-06-2014, 14:12
Hi mate I think the car was red when built, as the doors are red on the inside but I will check, I've just seen some threads regarding paint colours many thanks

If it was red and is now electric blue, the question will be whether the respray was done using the Renault electric blue coded paint. If you aren't sure then yeah, your best bet will be to have a paint place try and scan/match it. :agree: If on the other hand you are sure it's OE electric blue paint, then the code is 495.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=7487

Trevhib
30-06-2014, 14:17
Ok, well as holbay don't exist anymore ill just have to scrap that, I'm sure the turbo had a 360 roller barring in it not sure about housings ect suppose gt tunning could tell me what it was, I'll have to dig the folder out so people can see the receipts

You could get an engineering place to measure the Holbay cam and then compare it to the details of other cams that have been measured. There is a thread on RTOC somewhere, where different cam details are listed. That way you will be able to see which other cam this Holbay thing is closest to, then ask for some advice on here as to what kind of turbo size/spec will suit it most.

I doubt the receipt will give you the detailed spec of the GT Tuning turbo but put it up for us to have a look at, you never know. Do GT Tuning still exist?

Might be best to take pics of the turbo itself, someone on here might be able to tell you roughly what it is.

Trevhib
30-06-2014, 14:28
Cam comparison tool:
http://www.rtoc.org/cam/

Tutuur
30-06-2014, 14:37
that program is great, is there any possibility to input other cam profiles?

would be lovely to make such a thing for f7 cams. if i have some spare i time i would be more than happy to put some of them in!

Trevhib
30-06-2014, 14:47
'Bring out your cams - F4R edition'

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=17733

You'd need to speak to Andy/Scoff about F7 or adding others :)

Tutuur
30-06-2014, 17:34
Great, will contact Andrew:agree: