PDA

View Full Version : Breather problem Piston number 2 only 65 PSI

Dawsie
18-06-2014, 21:16
First post!

Hi guys

I'm new on here and my friend posted a thread on a breather problem where is was chucking oil out, a lot of you said do a compression test which we done tonight cylinders 1,3 and 4 have 145 on a wet test but cylinder 2 has only 65 PSI, does this sound like the rings?? Thanks

michael tierney
18-06-2014, 21:27
if its rings...the comp guage will build slowly to ur max reading
if its valves the comp guage will jump and achieve max reading quickly!

R5MJH
18-06-2014, 21:44
as i said to your mate mike its more than likely rings i told him to do compression test

Dawsie
18-06-2014, 22:06
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

It had new rings, liners and pistons 7 years ago then was put in a garage? Do you think it could be a ring which is stuck?

Dawsie
18-06-2014, 22:13

Is it worth putting some oil down there for 24 hours and hope they free off? Thanks

Markey Mark (BD)
19-06-2014, 08:01
I would say sometimes it could be a burnt valve whicgh can also cause lose in compression but as you are blowing oil out the breather i would say you got a piston ring issue

If the engine has been sat for 7yrs you may well have build up on the rings holding them away from the bore, as you say alittle bit of oil in bore might help clean them up and free them off abit or run it on idle for a little while see if it wil naturally seal back up (i have had this before)
The finaly resort will be to pull them out and check/clean the liner and free the ring off manually

Dawsie
19-06-2014, 08:10

I would say sometimes it could be a burnt valve whicgh can also cause lose in compression but as you are blowing oil out the breather i would say you got a piston ring issue

If the engine has been sat for 7yrs you may well have build up on the rings holding them away from the bore, as you say alittle bit of oil in bore might help clean them up and free them off abit or run it on idle for a little while see if it wil naturally seal back up (i have had this before)
The finaly resort will be to pull them out and check/clean the liner and free the ring off manually

Thanks mark, what oil should I put down there? Just engine oil or should I spray some WD40 down?

Markey Mark (BD)
19-06-2014, 08:14
Could try alittle WD40 and a small drop of engine oil (this will help it seal too)

Does it sound like it running on 3 cylinders when engine is on?

Dawsie
19-06-2014, 08:22

Could try alittle WD40 and a small drop of engine oil (this will help it seal too)

Does it sound like it running on 3 cylinders when engine is on?

No the car is running fine!

Markey Mark (BD)
19-06-2014, 08:24

No the car is running fine!

Try little WD40 and engine oil the run it on idle for a while to try free it off

Dawsie
19-06-2014, 08:27

Try little WD40 and engine oil the run it on idle for a while to try free it off

Sorry not great on all this, so should I run it with the oil in the bore with the spark plug in? Thanks again

Markey Mark (BD)
19-06-2014, 09:06

Sorry not great on all this, so should I run it with the oil in the bore with the spark plug in? Thanks again

Pour just alittle down into the bore, leave it for abit to soak and drain then fit the plug back in and then run the engine
I wiould just leave it on idle for a while to give it chance to heat up and expand, if this fails only real way to sort it is pull the piston out and sort the rings that way

Dawsie
19-06-2014, 09:09

Pour just alittle down into the bore, leave it for abit to soak and drain then fit the plug back in and then run the engine
I wiould just leave it on idle for a while to give it chance to heat up and expand, if this fails only real way to sort it is pull the piston out and sort the rings that way

Thanks mark I'm going to try this today.

R5MJH
19-06-2014, 10:27
we had the exact same prob on mikes before i rebuilt the new engine but with 80 psi on one cylinder instead it was putting loads of oil through the breather sytem, and the engine still ran fine too turned out to be rings, ive said this at the start of the thread mark and in the original thread too PISTON RINGS are faulty:laugh:

Dawsie
19-06-2014, 17:32

Just had another look today put some wd40 in bore for a few hours, then turned it over without the spark plug in and nothing came out? Also the oil coming out the breather is a grey colour!