PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!

Fused7
11-06-2014, 21:28
Can any 1 help? I went out in the 5 earlier and all was good came home for a bit then went to go back out and it was like a smoke machine coming out of the exhaust! I checked water and oil seems ok! I took it down the road and it was boosting & running fine, only seems to smoke wen its idiling any ideas? A mate of mine said it could b the turbo?? Thanks in advance

Markey Mark (BD)
11-06-2014, 22:36
Check for play in the turbo's shaft, does sound like turbo has died though

Fused7
12-06-2014, 06:05
Wen u say play, do u mean wiggle the shaft side to side or pull it front to back?? Sorry I'm a bit of a novice!:confused: does it not sound like n e fing else to u like head gasket or piston rings etc? Thanks mate

Rob1980
12-06-2014, 07:21
What colour is the smoke?

Fused7
12-06-2014, 07:36
It's white, wen it's sitting there just idiling it's like a smoke machine but wen I drive it there's hardly any smoke. Any idears?:scratch:

Rob1980
12-06-2014, 07:39
Generally blue smoke means a knackered turbo while white smoke is head gasket related. Have you checked under the oil filler cap for a mayo like substance?

The smoke could just appear to be less while driving because it is getting dispersed/left behind...

Markey Mark (BD)
12-06-2014, 08:15
Yes check the shaft in the turbo for play in/out and up/down, its ok mate we all started as novices one time :D

If your engine was running lumpy then i would say headgasket but as its running ok and it only smokes on idle i would still say looks potentionally like turbo
Colour of smoke doesn't always give best idea what it is, can't count the amount of cars with blown turbos i've seen that smoke thinkwhite/grey ;)

Alex
12-06-2014, 09:25
Turbo.

Fused7
12-06-2014, 09:42
I checked the under the oil cap and the oil is clean I checked the expansion tank as well and all looks ok no oily residue it really does run well on idle and wen I'm out, doesn't miss a beat or overheat! :confused: so possibly turbo then? Is there any other ways to check, so I can be sure b4 I change it? Thanks for all the replies, my basic knowledge is slowly improving :coffee:

Nad-5GTT
12-06-2014, 10:07
Colour of smoke doesn't always give best idea what it is, can't count the amount of cars with blown turbos i've seen that smoke thinkwhite/grey ;)

:agree: mine was smoking white smoke, had the turbo rebuilt and no more smoke.
I had a lot of oil left sitting in the turbo elbow once I'd removed the turbo.

Markey Mark (BD)
12-06-2014, 14:09
I checked the under the oil cap and the oil is clean I checked the expansion tank as well and all looks ok no oily residue it really does run well on idle and wen I'm out, doesn't miss a beat or overheat! :confused: so possibly turbo then? Is there any other ways to check, so I can be sure b4 I change it? Thanks for all the replies, my basic knowledge is slowly improving :coffee:

Only real way to check its turbo to start with is play in the shaft, its easy to do though just pull the air filter off and you can reach the shaft inside in the inlet

Fused7
12-06-2014, 22:43
Thanks again for every1's in put, I'm hopfully gona change the turbo at the weekend and ill let u all know how I get on! N e tips or things I need to b carefull of wen changing the turbo?

JP Racing
13-06-2014, 08:46
Just give everything a good soak in wd40 a day or 2 before attempting to undo the bolts ;) then when you put it back together give them all a coat of hi temp grease to help for future changes ;)

Fused7
13-06-2014, 08:50
Ok mate will do thanks:agree:

Fused7
20-06-2014, 21:30
Hi chaps just want to say a massive thanks for all your help, I've changed the turbo and it now goes and sounds even better! Thanks again:agree:

Trevhib
21-06-2014, 10:35
Well done :agree:

rabbitstew
21-06-2014, 23:48
Was going to say that sounds like turbo is knackered. I blew mine once and under boost it was fine but as soon as i let off the throttle it was like a white james bond style smoke screen out the back of the car.

Fused7
22-06-2014, 14:16
Ha ha yeah that was pretty much the same as mine! Glad u guys pointed me in the right direction!