View Full Version : bad clonk from the rear.......any one else experienced this / has ideas

ollie j
16-01-2009, 19:58
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

When ever i go over a bump i get a loud clonk from the rear of the car, cant figure it out, nothings loose. Was wondering if there is anything on the rear beam that could make such a noise if worn. shocks appear to be ok.

phase i 16 v turbo
16-01-2009, 20:00
What exhaust system are you using and have you lowered it?

Markey Mark (BD)
16-01-2009, 20:02
Can be the exhaust pipe on the rear axle if your car is lowered and has a rear exiting exhaust.

mr bean aka pete
could be a broken shocker ?? is the noise sided ?? also sum exhausts knock on the rear beam and have u checked ur exhausts rubber mounts ??

ollie j
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

yes lowered, koni adjustables on rear.

scorpion exhaust ive had a sidy on there as well and still did the same thing, so the exhaust isnt knocking on beam.

Brigsy
16-01-2009, 20:03
Check the bushes on the shockers are ok & not worn, also make sure the top bolt of the shockers are tight. The top bolt hole can also wear oval on the box section, needs a welder to sort that though!

Also check the bushes on the rear axle are ok.

Kris M
16-01-2009, 20:07
Sorry to Hijack mate but i have a weird problem, similar ish. only had it on the track or when driving hard.......When cornering hard right i get a knocking ( in time with the wheel going round) from the NSR, i have a sidey and its not the wheel bearing, could this be something similar to what you were saying Brigsy ??

ollie j
16-01-2009, 20:08
Check the bushes on the shockers are ok & not worn, also make sure the top bolt of the shockers are tight. The top bolt hole can also wear oval on the box section, needs a welder to sort that though!

Also check the bushes on the rear axle are ok.

.................................................. .................................................. ......................................

The top bolt hole can wear oval?? Is that the bolt that secures the shock your talking about??

Markey Mark (BD)
16-01-2009, 20:08
Could be rear shocks worn and the bottoming out or the shock mount has worn in the chassis leg (i've seen this before)

ollie j
16-01-2009, 20:11
could be a broken shocker ?? is the noise sided ?? also sum exhausts knock on the rear beam and have u checked ur exhausts rubber mounts ??

Yes only coming from the drivers side.

mr bean aka pete
16-01-2009, 20:14
regarding kris m post have u ever had a dry driveshaft gaitor or split clip and regreased ?? as sounds like a driveshaft noise

Markey Mark (BD)
16-01-2009, 20:25
.................................................. .................................................. ......................................

The top bolt hole can wear oval?? Is that the bolt that secures the shock your talking about??

Yes thats where the shocks mounts at the top, take the shock bolt out and see if its worn.

Brigsy
16-01-2009, 20:26

The hole in the box section on the chassis that the bolt goes through!

Kris check your shockers & the like. I had an annoying metallic rattling for ages on my gtt that only seemed to happen with one person in, disappeared with more weight in. The top shock bolt had come loose slightly!

Also the van has a knock nsr, i looked recently & the bottom shocker bush is cracked & loose. Got a pair of new shockers off ebay to fit, standard delphi extra van shocks & they seem hard as nails, a lot harder than the avo's are on my gtt:eek:

car.crash
16-01-2009, 20:28
Could be rear shocks worn and the bottoming out or the shock mount has worn in the chassis leg (i've seen this before)

same as what i was thinking, is your car really low at the rear?

Kris M
16-01-2009, 20:35
regarding kris m post have u ever had a dry driveshaft gaitor or split clip and regreased ?? as sounds like a driveshaft noise

Hi Pete, yeah its definatly not driveshaft, its coming from the rear

Brigsy, will have a look at the shocks etc tomorow whilst im doing my brake pipes :)

gttjames
17-01-2009, 01:30
could be exhuast knocking (get underneath it and move exhuast about to see where its hitting)

could be worn shock bushes (jack it up and move wheel about trying to find some play)

Mine also gave a noise from the rear, turns out who ever last fitted pads on the rear left out the little wire bits that stop the pads from rattling in the calipers....

could be something simple like no spare wheel, and cage knocking about

mightymanx
17-01-2009, 02:12
ive had similar problems b4 and always turned out to be the shock

ollie j
18-01-2009, 17:14
took shock off today and the bottom bolt wasnt fully tight this had resulted in wearing the metal spacer within the bush oval making it a very loose fit, hoping that was the cause of the clonking. Cheers. for the help guys

Gttnutter
18-01-2009, 17:30
more than likly as this was the case on an old 5