PDA

View Full Version : Road testing the 5!!

LiamR
03-06-2014, 10:57
So I have got my 5 fully road legal and for the first time in ages I took it out for a decent little drive!

It was pretty hassle free apart from one or two issues.

Firstly I lost all boost at one point. No major problem as I looked under the bonnet and the hose connected to the lobster elbow had slid off slightly. So that was fixed easily.

The dash light to indicate that your side lights are on keeps randomly popping up. Not too worried about that one tbh. Prob an easy fix.

But the most concerning, my fuel gauge has gone from working to reading zilch! I am going to check the sender unit under the rear seat and maybe the connections on the dash. But after that I am stumped...? Any ideas people?

If I take the connector off the sender unit and bridge the wires, does anyone know if this will send a 'full tank' signal back???

Dave Reed
03-06-2014, 17:19
the floats most likely stuck or a bad connection.

They work on resistance so pretty easy to test.

Test you have 12v first.

If not, remove the dash clocks and make sure you've plugged that in

To test the sender unit remove the sender and slide it up and down and that should give you different readings (using the OHM range on the meter). if It doesn't it's knackered.

If all that checks out ok then its the gauge, but it will most likely be the connection on the back of the dash if you've had that out.

LiamR
03-06-2014, 19:39
Thanks for the input Dave. I'll give all those things a go tomorrow :smokin: