PDA

View Full Version : Subframe/Rollbar Nightmair

LukeRobbo
06-05-2014, 21:39
Hello I'm in a bit of a pickle and sorry to sound like a broken record but I'm struggling to find out what I need to do.

Basically my car is a phase 2 1989 and I have bought a galvanised subframe which is different to my phase 2 so I'm guessing it is a phase 1 frame?

I fitted my 19mm inner powerflex anti rollbar bush onto my rollbar and it was a nice fit but when trying to fit it to the clamps around the subframe their is no way it will ever fit.Do phase 1's have chunkier anti rollbars with bushes that have bigger diameters but are smaller on the outside?

If I cant work it out soon I am going to get something machined up to make the inner bushes fit correctly.I would rather not do this to keep the car factory.Also I would prefer it if I could get a bigger rollbar than 19mm on the car as when I fitted a bigger one on my old fiesta the difference was very noticeable.

I had similar problems getting correct brake fittings but then ordered them from CGB and they where perfect.I'm not having much luck finding correct parts Renault don't make things easy atall they mess about with different kinds of door pins,different shades of grey paint,different tints in window glass etc etc!

Any help would be great

Thanks, Luke

Mr Raider
07-05-2014, 22:21
Anti roll bars differ, if im right phase 1 was 19mm and phase 2 21mm or 23mm. Are you trying to fit a phase 2 (off your G plate) onto a phase 1 galvanised subframe?

If you try to fit the correct bushes to the phase 2 anti roll bar and phase 2 subframe they should be a 'snug' fit with the help of a small 'G' clamp over the bracket and tightened against the bottom of the subframe will be enough just to get the bolt in and nut on and turning to nip it up. Bare in mind where the split is as on mine they nipped up loads better with surfaces meeting on the alternate surface (split bottom to top, or top to bottom) compared with the oe rubber bushes. :)

J$£5GTT
07-05-2014, 22:46
Anti roll bars differ, if im right phase 1 was 19mm and phase 2 21mm or 23mm. Are you trying to fit a phase 2 (off your G plate) onto a phase 1 galvanised subframe?

If you try to fit the correct bushes to the phase 2 anti roll bar and phase 2 subframe they should be a 'snug' fit with the help of a small 'G' clamp over the bracket and tightened against the bottom of the subframe will be enough just to get the bolt in and nut on and turning to nip it up. Bare in mind where the split is as on mine they nipped up loads better with surfaces meeting on the alternate surface (split bottom to top, or top to bottom) compared with the oe rubber bushes. :)

grease them to,it can/could help,i remember doing mine,thought no way there going to fit!
:agree:

LukeRobbo
08-05-2014, 00:07
My mate just measured his phase 1 ARB and it was 21mm and also his old campus is the same.The phase 2 subframe has different fittings to allow the chunky powerflex 19mm bushes to fit.Im gonna adapt the phase 1 frame to make the fittings work I think since I have had the rollbar blasted and painted it.Maybe a thinner anti rollbar and more bodyroll will be more fun.Their is definately no way the 19mm bushes will fit

Thanks, Luke

Mr Raider
08-05-2014, 12:27
I know it sounds crazy, however cant you just clean up and paint the phase 2 subframe and anti roll bar? Then refit with the correct Powerflex inner bushes with the copper grease they come with. Its probably easier to fit the inner bushes with the subframe off the car. :)

LukeRobbo
08-05-2014, 14:30
The phase 1 subframe is galvanised and my old phase 2 one is a crusty special.lol

Mr Raider
08-05-2014, 22:43
Ahh, if you buy a phase 1 anti roll bar measure the bar, order correct inner bushes, then clean it up/paint it jobsa a good'un ?! ;)

LukeRobbo
08-05-2014, 23:29
Yes sounds like a plan but if my dad has a masterplan to easily adapt the one I have I will give that a go as moneys too tight to mention.Plus the hassle of finding a 21mm bar and selling the wrong bushes etc.I will get their eventually thanks again for info

Mr Raider
09-05-2014, 12:14
Ok fella, just reckon if you get the right anti roll bar for the subframe and the right bushes it will save time and maybe money and will be the correct fit. ;)

LukeRobbo
09-05-2014, 13:10
I will get the correct parts id say but if I adapt the 19mm to fit it wont be done in a botch way.

Mr Raider
11-05-2014, 21:51
Ah cool mate, hope you get it sorted.