PDA

View Full Version : T28 or vnt turbo

mk5gtt
05-05-2014, 19:27
Hi they are both for sale in the classifieds im after upgrading mine and what to know whitch one would be best engine spec is forged pistons, 285 cam,headwork,tubular manifold and 2.5 full exhaust. I run 22 psi at the mo and what more its also efi ed so fueling wont be a problem. Thanks for any advise or input.

Markey Mark (BD)
05-05-2014, 19:30
If your willing to spend the time setting the VNT's up correctly they do work very well, either way once both turbo's are on song will help produce good power.

The VNT's for the 5 were only built by Turbo Developments so if its come from somewhere else want to make sure it's identical as I know the ones Turbo Developments built were a very custom hybrid

GTphil
05-05-2014, 20:40
Most people who use a vnt say it's the best turbo for the five, same delivery as a t28 just a lot earlier in the rev range. With EFI if you want a punchy road/track car then the vnt gets my vote. :agree:

Was it Phil with the ace minty red five who used one and his engine did 260hp with a similar spec to yours. From memory he had an awful lot of head work done also.

With a 60 trim T28 with efi and good mapping you might get Full boost at 4k rpm or so. With a vnt i think it's similar or even earlyer than a t2;)

James5
05-05-2014, 21:09
Most people who use a vnt say it's the best turbo for the five, same delivery as a t28 just a lot earlier in the rev range. With EFI if you want a punchy road/track car then the vnt gets my vote. :agree:

Was it Phil with the ace minty red five who used one and his engine did 260hp with a similar spec to yours. From memory he had an awful lot of head work done also.

With a 60 trim T28 with efi and good mapping you might get Full boost at 4k rpm or so. With a vnt i think it's similar or even earlyer than a t2;)

Yeah Philr5t made 260-70bhp with his VNT but the actuator setup on his was very different to the original turbo developments VNT . Phil's actuator setup makes it more stable but more of a progressive boost curve, where as the turbo developments it was very aggressive literally no boost then wham 500 rpm's later full boost and a small spike. I personally love a VNT but alot of effort and time needed to set them up correctly. You can basically get them to come on boost anywhere in the rev range you want, you have to monitor det with these and make sure the fueling is spot on:agree:

mk5gtt
05-05-2014, 21:30
Sounds like the vnt is a winner will see what the seller says. For the fueling and setting up would be some time at chris s having the mapping adusted. When you say it needs time setting up is this a case of making small adjustments to the way the boost comes in or more on how the vnt controls the boost level. I dont mind spending the time is its going to make it better. Thanks for the advice so for more is always welcome.

James5
06-05-2014, 10:21
Sounds like the vnt is a winner will see what the seller says. For the fueling and setting up would be some time at chris s having the mapping adusted. When you say it needs time setting up is this a case of making small adjustments to the way the boost comes in or more on how the vnt controls the boost level. I dont mind spending the time is its going to make it better. Thanks for the advice so for more is always welcome.

Adjustments to both as adjusting one effects the other, have a look at philr5t project thread - back from the dead his actuator works give the VNT a more progressive boost curve like a normal turbo spool, by pulling the vanes closed to reduce boost, were as the turbo developments works in the opposite by using the actuator arm to push and holds the vanes at a certain point to limit boost (this method gets some spikes but is so much more agreessive no boost then full boost). :agree:

R5MJH
06-05-2014, 11:31
phils thread

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=8048

B18ftMOJO5
07-05-2014, 16:10
would be interested in your t25 when you upgrade to a bigger turbo Mark. Ive got used to the t2 want a bigger one when i change my cam for my standard gtx one i gave in the basement.:)

mk5gtt
07-05-2014, 16:23
Hi mojo my turbo will be up for sale once i get the new one in will give you a call . Ive gone for the vnt in the end it sounds like its going to be the best for what i want and more power :devil:

B18ftMOJO5
07-05-2014, 17:17
cool thanks Mark:agree: