PDA

View Full Version : cross threaded spark plug!!

Manparis
27-04-2014, 15:08
Iv done a service on the car and for the first time ever iv gone a cross threaded one of spark plugs. 3 went in brilliant but one went bit stiff but still went quite far in before I relised something was wrong. When I undid the it I could see on the plug it was threaded. Iv been looking on the net to see if I can get a tapping die for it. Has anybody done this and what kit did you use as ive seen no end of repair kits for 14mm plug sockets. Any advice would be brilliant people.
Also I replaced the old plugs with iridium ones from cbg and the car stutters when you press the accelerator like it does when you run a 5 from cold if you get my drift. Runs fine when the revs are 2k and upwards though. it wasn't doing this before the service so I sure its the plugs.

R5MJH
27-04-2014, 15:38
check jeff ninebars threads hes just covered this matey:agree:

Manparis
27-04-2014, 15:56
yeah read the threads. I don't really wanna take the head off though are these expanding taps for back threading any good iv seen some videos on you tube and they look like they work and you don't get any crap put in the cylinder?

Manparis
27-04-2014, 16:03
http://www.bodyshop-tools-supplies.co.uk/product_view.php?id=19856&gclid=CM_f4vT3gL4CFXMRtAodbA0AgQ

Anybody used one of these??

Hoolio
27-04-2014, 17:31
I thought you had sorted all this, did you try just cleaning up the old plugs?

Manparis
27-04-2014, 17:40
I thought you had sorted all this, did you try just cleaning up the old plugs?

I didnt sort as the cars been in garage for the winter. Now out so im trying to sort it now. Lol

Matt Cole
27-04-2014, 20:27
Thread chaser should do it.

Manparis
27-04-2014, 20:51
that's what that device is mate a reverse thread chaser. iv ordered on so ill let you know if it works

rabbitstew
17-06-2014, 15:01
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

How did you get on? Previous owner did this to my car and no matter what i tried I couldnt get the plug to stay in the head. Ended up having to take head off, and have it helicoiled. Whilst it was off had it all gas flowed and ported out too.

Not a quick & easy job, but it did the job!