PDA

View Full Version : Gordini that just went up for auction

Mr_Dave
25-04-2014, 13:31
I was hoping to pick up this Gordini for a steal... Alas no! It went for £6200 about an hour ago!

http://www.swva.co.uk/renault-5-gordini-turbo-1983/

Anyone on here pick it up????

Trevhib
25-04-2014, 13:50
That looks fabulous. But £6k!? It says completely restored but it's obvious that hasn't included the interior or engine bay.

TopCat
25-04-2014, 18:51
Oooooh Daddy liiiike. Good money!

Goobie
25-04-2014, 19:35
I do like the look of that. Proper old Skool. :smokin:

JRP
25-04-2014, 20:18
Ching Ching

Lowiepete
01-05-2014, 02:39
That looks fabulous. But £6k!? It says completely restored but it's obvious that hasn't included the interior or engine bay.
Trevor, I don't follow your logic. £6K+ is an absolute bargain for that car. It's
attitudes like yours which will continue to depress prices rather than see them
just keep pace with the modern world.

To fully restore an R5 these days won't get you much change out of £7K, and it's
when more money can be made by breaking a car than restoring it when the
problems really start. I'm not one for wanting these cars to reach telephone #
prices like some old Fords of the same era do, but they do need to hold a certain
value. I guess that with around 1,000 cars still extant in the country, including
those on SORN, there still needs to be some more "natural wastage" before
prices do start to keep pace.

The winner in this instance was the auction house, however, if they can gather
a sale at that kind of price, why shouldn't we?

Regards,
Steve

Trevhib
01-05-2014, 09:49
If you followed my postings in recent years Pete, you'd know I've long been an advocate for increasing the prices of GTTs.

In this case however, using your logic: If fully restoring an R5 wont get you much change from £7k and this car is at £6k without having engine/bay/interior restored to any great standard, and since you rarely get back what you put in to a restoration project, this Gordini is overpriced.

I learned a while ago, through a number of interactions on your GTT restoration and Laguna threads (which I think are excellent and still read), not to post on them or address you directly any more, since it's obvious you and I don't have much in common. It might be worthwhile you taking the same decision.

Regards,
Trev

Slammed 66
01-05-2014, 20:34
6k is a lot for a car that may of had a quick tart up.

It does look very nice though

TopCat
01-05-2014, 21:28
I think thats worth that money. When was the last time you saw one? Id have that any day for that money.

B18ftMOJO5
01-05-2014, 21:51
agree the used to pop up now and again on ebay gumtree etc. havnt seen one in ages. The rules of supply and demand dictate prices will soon go through the roof.:agree:

Hoolio
01-05-2014, 22:08
All this is a little pointless really. What is "overpriced"? I guess the most important criteria for measuring that is if the market can bear it. Having sold for £6.2k it clearly wasn't/isn't.

Trevhib
02-05-2014, 14:44
Tbh, my main beef with it was that it was advertised as fully restored, which it isn't.

The past discussions on RTOC regarding prices have never ended in consensus, partly because some either don't understand inflation or are happy to just ignore it.

Sparkie
03-05-2014, 23:02
so where were the 6k offers when I was selling mine? -I'll tell you where, on forums like this, made by people who already owned a classic car and had no intention of buying, just giving their 'views' on what a 'great car' you've got etc etc.
When it comes to the crunch, specially in the gordini turbo world, there aren't many cars and people are worried about the finding of parts.... unless you know where to look. (france)

Sam Fish
18-05-2014, 12:53
The phase one 5's are so rare - maybe there are 30 in total with a tax disc on UK roads? only a couple are gordini's.

When selling, you can dictate the market to some extent, because yours will be the only one available. Put a high price on it and wait for somebody that really wants one. I thought that is what I was doing with my TS race car, but it had loads of interest and ended up selling back to Renault UK! - the first to enquire.