PDA

View Full Version : Vibration at higher speeds

monocat
22-04-2014, 11:04
Hi guys, I wonder if you could advise me on this one:

when driving at higher speeds - 70 mph and over, my car starts to vibrate quite badly.

The interesting thing is, that I can not feel that the steering wheel would vibrate excessively & it seems to be much worse, when I get my foot off the gas pedal.

When accelerating, the vibrations are much more subtle, the car starts to wobble badly as soon as I put my foot away from gas.

What could be the culprit?

Thanks!

Brigsy
22-04-2014, 11:49
Possibly driveshaft problems by the sounds of it. Try swapping wheels front to back first though.

monocat
22-04-2014, 13:38
Possibly driveshaft problems by the sounds of it. Try swapping wheels front to back first though.

Already tried that, when swapping winter wheels for summer ones.
The problem remained.

Wouldnt the driveshaft send the vibrations to the steering wheel?

Alex
22-04-2014, 13:51
If you've already ruled out the tyres/wheels I'd jack it up and check the wheel bearings and all the bushes for any play. Check the shocks and springs also.

TopCat
22-04-2014, 15:15
Rattles from a 5? That's unusual :laugh:

Check wheel bearings and driveshafts mate.

Goobie
22-04-2014, 15:21
Check all suspension brushes, nuts and bolts, as you said, more noticeable when off the gas, that's when the wheels are more free rolling and not pulling the car ie under load. :)

Brigsy
22-04-2014, 16:03
Already tried that, when swapping winter wheels for summer ones.
The problem remained.

Wouldnt the driveshaft send the vibrations to the steering wheel?

Yes the driveshaft can cause horrible vibrations when out of balance. Run it on axle stands and see if the shafts wobble.

monocat
22-04-2014, 22:49
Thanks a lot guys, will do!