PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Query

GTphil
14-04-2014, 10:02
After doing 500 or so fairly hard miles since the engine went back together I have an oil pressure issue that I'm unsure about.

Once the car is upto temp I will see 45psi at 3k rpm:agree: However after a good spanking and only after a good spanking it will sit at 44psi at 3k rpm but then as soon as any throttle is applied it will drop to 40psi as soon as you let off it's back to 44psi.

Higher up the revs it does rise upto around a max of 48psi.

It's due it's second "running in" oil change soon and I'm wondering if it could be the standard oil cooler in the rad, would a separate external cooler be better at keeping the oil temps a little lower after a spanking?

And do you think I would get more stable readings when the throttle is applied.

Or is there a shady tolerance somewhere?

Matt Cole
14-04-2014, 10:19
This was happening to chunks car recently. Upon acceleration the pressure would drop off. He had a max of 38psi which was low anyway. We stripped the pump out and found pitting to the gear / body mating faces. Also scoring elsewhere. The pump was ok when put in just after a rebuild so I guess has suffered damage when running in.

Your max oil pressure ain't to bad. Always take the minimum oil pressure as best case. You could try oil change and see if that improves things.

Brigsy
14-04-2014, 12:28
What grade oil are you using? Mine used to do this 50lb down to 45lb with standard oil cooler.

GTphil
14-04-2014, 13:26
10-60 Mobil one, just wondering if it's down to oil temp after a good battering.

My pump was fine when it went back in.

Should have shimmed the prv

CHUNK The Goonies
18-04-2014, 16:24
As matt above said mine did this. But my pressure was poor before and after rebuild. But oil pressure started to drop on accelration after rebuild around the 500 miles mark?? Once stripped out it was scored on housing and pitting on shaft and rotor. This pump also was good when I put it in. id try the oil change check it to see if any bits of poopoo ls in it then see what oil pressure ur getting. If it still drops then id advise a refurbed pump off cgb. 150 quid . Ive just put mine on and shimmed it with a washer around 2mm thick. Yet to see how it all pans out as I havent got the sump on yet. Decided to do the engine mountings while I was on. :laugh: let me know how you get on. Check the clearances on the rotor arm for any ware too :crap:

GTphil
19-04-2014, 14:17
I just can't help but think it's my oil cooler full of gunk and not doing it's job properly as it's fine oil pressure wise untill you start pushing the lump, them it goes a little on the low side, like the oil is getting to thin.

I'm guessing for 10-60 the oil temp would have to be fairly high for this to happen, if I run steady the oil pressure returns to more acceptable numbers again once the oil temp drops even by just a little.