View Full Version : Someone's having me on?

Adam gt E
11-04-2014, 08:48
So I had a reply to a wanted ad here it is

I got a mint showroom condition 18000 miles yes 18000 miles on clock raider edition all paper work original receipt bought by me 1 owner just me.never been restored or messed with original car nothing done. As for selling money is not the problem I am leaving to live in California in September this year and the customs won't let me take it I'm gutted I am actually looking for some one who will look after it and treat it the way I have all these years I am 68 years old but have felt the power of my car.if you are genuine and looking for a car to keep and not just sell to make a quick buck like all the dealers I have talked to including rolls Royce uk. Please feel free to contact me and let me know the reason for you wanting a Renault 5

Obviously I replied and recieved this
Hello sorry for late reply been very busy moving
So I take it you are interested in car in all honesty you can have it if it is taken care of but I have 1 request as I have told you I have owned the 5 for over 26 years all I ask is that once a year I will be visiting Bournemouth to visit my daughter would it be possible for me to use car for a weekend once a year. Might sound a bit stupid but as long as I know the car will be kept clean and cared for I'm happy for it to remain here with you I have been told by a lot of dealers the car is worth in excess of £10000. Please could you also tell me if you have a garage to park car in and if you have a local Renault dealer near by for servicing and upkeep of car.

Couple things don't add up raiders are 1990 which would make it 25yrs at most
Next reply
Hi my ipad just beeped
That is absolutely fantastic could I get your phone number to contact you and to make arrangements for pick up and i am based in Cheshire
If you don't hear from me for a couple of days it's because I am leaving for florida on Sunday for a week just to arrange a few things but I appreciate this thank you at least my baby will be cared for I will contact you again in a week or so
Best regards

Secondly he said he was moving to California in the first reply now he says he's going to Florida??

I'm thinking someone must be a bit bored and it's a wind up lol

GTphil
11-04-2014, 08:55
Ask for pictures then decide if it's worth a look:agree:

Sounds a little eccentric but perfectly plausible.

Would be an elaborate wind up that's for sure :laugh:

Adam gt E
11-04-2014, 09:03
I have asked for pics as soon and if I recieve some il post them up here, at least he hasn't asked for my mothers maiden name and bank account details yet ;)

GTphil
11-04-2014, 09:10
I have asked for pics as soon and if I recieve some il post them up here, at least he hasn't asked for my mothers maiden name and bank account details yet ;)

I hope you have a clean driving license and a CRB check in place also. :laugh:

GTphil
11-04-2014, 09:16
The one about using it once a year for the weekend is a strange request I wouldn't mind to be fair as long as it wasn't any hassle arranging it. Would be funny if the next time he turned up you stuck some 17" rims on and a carbon spoiler.......

And some stickers. :laugh:

Adam gt E
11-04-2014, 09:22
The one about using it once a year for the weekend is a strange request I wouldn't mind to be fair as long as it wasn't any hassle arranging it. Would be funny if the next time he turned up you stuck some 17" rims on and a carbon spoiler.......

And some stickers. :laugh:

Haha and said I could meet him at halfords "I'm parked next to my mate in his pink Saxo vtr"

casper
11-04-2014, 09:59
Someone is pulling your leg.:hump:

Gtturbo
11-04-2014, 10:32
I know of a very low mileage one owner Raider in the Chester area owned by an old chap, so could be possibly this one.

But as you say some strange requests by the owner.

mingblus3
11-04-2014, 12:42
I wouldn't want to be taken for a ride, but if the chap is in his 60s would explain the way he composes his emails etc could be legit and well worth pursuing.

However someone serious would be offering a number to call and photos.

sean5gtt
11-04-2014, 13:44
One thing that puzzle me when he said can't take his Raider to the USA as the customs wouldn't allow it? It is possible to export/import just about anything?

Sean

Adam gt E
11-04-2014, 14:32
That's what I thought too

Trevhib
11-04-2014, 14:53
California have super tight emissions/safety on vehicles AFAIK.

No idea if it's the same in Florida :laugh:

Trevhib
11-04-2014, 14:55
Ooh, has he done his homework on this?

http://www.examiner.com/article/considering-importing-a-car-into-the-u-s-you-may-want-to-read-this-first

Importing any car 25 or more years old is relatively simple, and importing anything newer than 25 model years old can be very difficult, time consuming, and expensive.

Federal rules allow any car on U.S. roads 25+ years old to be registered as a “classic”. As such, they are no longer required to meet emissions, crash, or safety standards applied by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) in effect the year they were built.

Slammed 66
11-04-2014, 15:00
I think someone's yanking your chain here mate.

TopCat
11-04-2014, 16:53
I think someone's yanking your chain here mate.

Yep.

So he wants to use it when it's been sold? Ha jog on

Sparkie
11-04-2014, 17:16
not just sell to make a quick buck like all the dealers I have talked to including rolls Royce uk.

beware anyone who starts quoting what rolls royce say, or have been to rolls royce. - definately dodgy, name dropping brands which he thinks holds gravitas in the renault community?

mingblus3
11-04-2014, 17:51
Recently the club has seen a lot of hackers creating bogus accounts etc. This has got to be a scam in the making come the think of it.

Trevhib
11-04-2014, 18:20
Yep.

So he wants to use it when it's been sold? Ha jog on

I'm not sure there's any selling involved. I think the suggestion is that the car will be given away on the proviso he can use it one weekend a year when back in the UK. Bizzare as that sounds.

Edit - I'm intrigued to know what the terms are of this strange arrangement.

casper
11-04-2014, 18:45
I'm not sure there's any selling involved. I think the suggestion is that the car will be given away on the proviso he can use it one weekend a year when back in the UK. Bizzare as that sounds.

Edit - I'm intrigued to know what the terms are of this strange arrangement.

No genuine 68 year old uses the word "got".All them that want dry bumming say "I".:hump:

Adam gt E
11-04-2014, 18:46
I'm waiting for his reply, can't figure it out? But will keep everyone updated

Adam gt E
11-04-2014, 18:48
I live by the rule if it sounds to good to be true it generally is,, so time will tell how this one unfolds, my initial feeling is wind up lol

fat roofer
11-04-2014, 19:15
I know that it's sounds too good to be true, but sometimes little things like this happen....!
Did you also ask for a pic of the daughter?? ;) also did no one else find it creepy that an old man used the term "baby" to describe the car....? cold shivers!!

Adam gt E
11-04-2014, 19:43
Very true,, I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Nad-5GTT
11-04-2014, 21:16
I live by the rule if it sounds to good to be true it generally is,, so time will tell how this one unfolds, my initial feeling is wind up lol

:agree: fingers crossed for you that it's genuine mind.

Junglist
11-04-2014, 22:07
I live in Chester. If you need me to check an address out I can.
And I won't keep it for myself promise.

Seems like alot of effort for what? Just be careful if you get a message asking for a little bit of money for mot or some bull

Junglist
11-04-2014, 22:08
Where did you post your ad

Junglist
11-04-2014, 22:11
Sounds suss that he wants it in Bournemouth, not far from you

Adam gt E
11-04-2014, 22:15
I live in Chester. If you need me to check an address out I can.
And I won't keep it for myself promise.

Seems like alot of effort for what? Just be careful if you get a message asking for a little bit of money for mot or some bull

Cheers dan il give you a shout if needs be, but yeah I know what your saying il keep this thread going with anything I hear back from him,

Hoolio
11-04-2014, 22:25
So what was the first point of contact? Who approached who? How and why?

Adam gt E
12-04-2014, 07:20
So what was the first point of contact? Who approached who? How and why?

Well iv posted a wanted ad on various sites had probably 3 positive leads but they haven't materialised, this particular reply came via gumtree,, he contacted me

LiamR
13-04-2014, 05:07
He is pulling your chain!!!!! :crap:

If it was genuine- surely wouldn't he advertise it himself??

R5MJH
13-04-2014, 06:04
He is pulling your chain!!!!! :crap:

If it was genuine- surely wouldn't he advertise it himself??

of course he would and if it was that good it would burn the phone of the hook pmsl:laugh:

GTphil
13-04-2014, 06:45
Am I the only one who thinks this could be plausible :wasntme:

All I keep thinking is why would someone come up with something as elaborate as this??

Unless it's one of your mates or something winding you up:scratch:

Hoolio
13-04-2014, 06:57
Am I the only one who thinks this could be plausible :wasntme:

All I keep thinking is why would someone come up with something as elaborate as this??

Unless it's one of your mates or something winding you up:scratch:

I actually really hope it's true and it all pans out. I won't be at all jealous ;)
But I think someone has seen an opportunity (the advert-someone looking for something is a little easier to mislead) and is weaving a little plan which at some point will become plain.

GTphil
13-04-2014, 07:01
I actually really hope it's true and it all pans out. I won't be at all jealous ;)
But I think someone has seen an opportunity (the advert-someone looking for something is a little easier to mislead) and is weaving a little plan which at some point will become plain.

Maybe I'm to trusting, if it is all a wind up then it's a very strange one.

Adam gt E
13-04-2014, 07:15
It is an elaborate wind up or even scam, the only way I can think it's a scam is if he does ask for some form of payment before I see it, if it even exists, for example he asks for some money for transportation? Storage? Or other?
If it is real it would be amazing

HAndy
13-04-2014, 07:58
could well be a scam, but maybe looking from his point of view , he is looking for a trust worthy person to take care of his pride and joy, and this car means the world to him,maybe he is testing you, to see if your the real deal;)i would suggest a meet up in a pub etc and have a good chat :)

LiamR
13-04-2014, 07:59
Well just keep your wits about you dude. If it all pans out ok- happy days. And I hope it does as it will be another cracking 5 in the club.

Just make sure you don't get stung! And keep us posted how it works out :cool:

Adam gt E
13-04-2014, 08:16
Very true I Definatly will:)