PDA

View Full Version : live when cranking

bood
05-04-2014, 10:24
Hi

Could anyone tell me where on the car there is a live wire when cranking and off when the ignition is off.

I have found plenty of live when ignition is off but as I need to to feed my afr gauge so it doesn't recalibrate once I have cranked the car over.

Thanks

Jonny5
05-04-2014, 10:34
Stereo feed?

Trevhib
05-04-2014, 10:41
Good shout. The red live to the stereo is an ignition live. Though maybe that comes on at the point of second click of the key, i.e. before actual cranking.

You'd have to assume one of the lives to the starter motor or solenoid will only go live at the full turn of the key, since it needs to be without power until that point.

?? :scratch:

bood
05-04-2014, 10:48
Brill cheers I will have a look although my stereo come on first click of the key but when I crank the car over it goes off so I presumed it wouldn't have the power feed I needed

Trevhib
05-04-2014, 11:07
Ah, need to think about starter or alternator maybe then, though I have no idea on the wiring of those :agree:

Jonny5
05-04-2014, 11:12
I run mine off the stereo feed and it calibrates as normal with just the ignition on and the engine not running.
It also stays on throughout cranking and it doesn't re calibrate once the engine has started, just displays stable idle afr's straight away.

Mine is an AEM afr gauge that scoff sells :)

bood
05-04-2014, 11:16
Yeah that's what I need mine to do. Mine is also an aem but it calibrates then once cranked power is cut and restored so recalibrates but now in the exhaust gas.

Off to pull the stereo out quick.

Thanks

Haz
05-04-2014, 11:18
Reds are permanent live. Yellows do both, stereo is first click so turns off during cranking. Cig lighter is second click. Only problem to adding stuff in is that each wire has its own fuse, rated to each item although I wouldn't think that would draw too much current

bood
05-04-2014, 12:18
Wicked cheers guys all sorted.

Jonny5
05-04-2014, 12:24
Wicked cheers guys all sorted.

How did you sort it?
Just helps people in the future using the search function.

bood
05-04-2014, 12:39
Good point sir
I used the yellow feed on the back of the cigarette lighter. It's my least used item in fact never used so thought it best to add the extra strain to that rather than any where else.

The gauge now comes on second click calibrates and stays on during cranking.

Trevhib
05-04-2014, 12:48
Ace :) :agree: