PDA

View Full Version : ctm 10 uprated cam

Nad-5GTT
20-03-2014, 08:52
Hello I've just been kindly given a link for this cam. Has anyone used one? And is it similar too a piper 285. Also is £79.99 a fair price for a 2nd hand cam and is it too much off a risk to buy a 2nd hand item, ie do they wear excessively. Am I best off spending a bit more for a new or at least a regrind jobbie. Thanks in advance.

Ian S
20-03-2014, 11:01
That will probably be a Piper 285 but with 110° lobe angles. instead of the original 112°.

Yes cam shafts can wear.

From what I remember about it, if it was a regrind from a Renault camshaft that was not the best quality metal under the original surface, and didn't have renewed surface treatment after the re-grind, they can wear faster.

I'm not sure Renault surface hardened those C1J their camshafts originally.

It's probably 8 or 9 years since this was current knowledge for me and I seem to have largely forgotten.

Nad-5GTT
20-03-2014, 11:07
Thanks for that Ian, much appreciated.

GTphil
20-03-2014, 11:15
You can spot any major wear by looking at the lobes closely, look for scoring marks and any pitting on the lobes.

When I purchased my 285 shaft I went for the more expensive ground from a blank shaft as I had heard a few people saying the timing wasn't great with re-grinds.

If you use a vernier (never know how to spell that:ashamed:) it shouldn't matter to much anyway but again the re-grinds are suppost to wear quicker also.

Tight valve clearances can cause wear as can worn out followers.

CTM are a quality outfit and I would expect there shafts are ground from blanks but you never know....

P.S £80 is about the going rate if it's in good nick.

Nad-5GTT
20-03-2014, 11:46
Cheers Phil, some great tips there:) I've been on the look out for a while for a 2nd hand one but now ones turned up I'm worried that it will give me more problems than just buying a new one:ashamed:

I've just checked cgb and they sell a reprofiled 285 for £145 or a blank for £240, but on eBay he's got one for £179 saying it's new, surely at that price it's a reprofile? But wouldn't a reprofile be titled as remanufactured :scratch: I've sent him a message asking.

BluntyR5GTT
20-03-2014, 11:47
give mike at gt turbo spares a shout he will be able sort you a better deal im sure

Nad-5GTT
20-03-2014, 12:13
give mike at gt turbo spares a shout he will be able sort you a better deal im sure

Ye I've spoke too him a while back but he can't get hold of the blanks only reprofiled ones and he did say that the reprofiles are slightly noisy. Are the reprofiles any good?

GTphil
20-03-2014, 12:39
A re-grind will do the job, but like mike says can make the tappets noisy and like I said can be a little off with the timing.

My tappets are as quiet as they were with the standard cam ;)

CGB ones on eBay for 179 will more than likely be regrinds ;) He's good at being economical with the truth with his adds, like his gt turbo oil pumps that are actually not up to the job and are intact campus pumps.

If they are ground from a blank then I retract my statement but if he was honest with the rest of his stuff then you wouldn't even need to question it....:wasntme: