PDA

View Full Version : where has all activity gone?

Tutuur
13-03-2014, 17:52
i've just renewed my membership as i don't know of any board like this!

i've learned alot here and just miss all the great projects that where going on when i got on here. hope it's something of a winter depression!

shame as of how it all went lately too, i see alot of solid members have vanished/moved somewhere else :(

so just a little call from The Netherlands, get the cars out and get working again, and if you did please post some updates :agree:

Nad-5GTT
13-03-2014, 18:09
Totally agree and I do think it's a shame some members have not renewed but on a positive note there does appear to be some new blood turning up.

On the subject of project threads I do really enjoy reading up on what you are up to, even if you've just changed the spark plugs or are installing a turbo that could suck up an elderly person I want to know :D

I haven't been able to do anything to mine for over a month due to alot of private work getting in my way early in feb( not that I can grumble ). But I've also been resigned to my bed or couch the last two weeks after having a vacectomy. I was told I'd be back to normal work after 4 days, ye right I'm on day 14 and I'm still walking like John Wayne :ashamed: but not in so much pain. The doctor told me I'm one of the unlucky 10% that takes forever to heal.

But expect some updates on my thread soon :)

Tutuur
13-03-2014, 18:16
would be good to see some activity again! i hope we can convince the Sanglier crew to come to ND anyway. first time i'll finally visit ND!

been wanting to do that for a few years now....

LiamR
13-03-2014, 18:32
I will be starting a new project thread tomorrow plus updating my old one :agree:

Goobie
13-03-2014, 18:56
On the subject of project threads I do really enjoy reading up on what you are up to, even if you've just changed the spark plugs

Well, I updated mine last month with alloy wheel Dust caps. :laugh: I don't think you can get any smaller than that for updates? :wasntme:

Don't worry about members not resigning up, they have a habit of coming back in time, you only got to look at the open to non members sections to see they come back and post. :laugh:

As for projects, I think its a case of winter time, no ones wants to be out in the cold. Il be photo whore-ing again come next week as things are back in swing now weather has cheer'd up and longer nights are on there way! :D

I literally can not wait to start getting it into shape! :cool:

Matt Cole
13-03-2014, 18:58
There's lots of new members coming through, new commitee and quite a bit happening in the background. New forum in the pipeline too!

Ill be updating my project thread very soon!:D

Trevhib
13-03-2014, 20:42
I was thinking that most of what we've lost is mainly waffle. I've been really pleased to see there are still so many ongoing projects, so I'm quite surprised to see that for some it seems there's been a drop off. I think it's true to say there has been a bit, but given the severity of what happened, I think things are moving along quite well. :agree:

There is a fair amount going on in the committee boards as regards getting more new members in, so I suppose my view is skewed a bit.

Actually, the club is looking for a Europe area rep Arthur......

w35ty
13-03-2014, 20:57
I was thinking the same.. Lately it seems abit quiet its only the same few who are posting up on things and the classified have been quiet too..

Facebook taking over maybe? no one wants to pay to join as they can just ask on facebook? :confused:

Shame as its just going to make a good club disappear eventually..

Nad-5GTT
13-03-2014, 21:11
Facebook taking over maybe? no one wants to pay to join as they can just ask on facebook? :confused:

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place not much happens on Facebook either, I go on there probably once a month just to have a nose and I only have to scroll down a little bit and I'm back to where I was the last time I'd been on. Being honest rtoc is 99 times better than facebook.

Matt Cole
13-03-2014, 21:33
I was thinking the same.. Lately it seems abit quiet its only the same few who are posting up on things and the classified have been quiet too..

Facebook taking over maybe? no one wants to pay to join as they can just ask on facebook? :confused:other theys its just going to make a good club disappear eventually..

we had a record number of new members in January. There's a few megane sport owners showing a bit of interest too. Also benj is doing a sterling job on the company discounts which will hopefully benefit old and new members. everyone is a bit quiet of late. I go on other clubs and its just the same.

Benjibrady
13-03-2014, 22:09
Thanks Matt :)

Being a member of a couple forums with the other buses, there is actually quite a lot going on at the moment. I know with winter and early nights just behind us it seems like a slow ball, but believe me spring is going to be huge. JP has put in a huge amount of work but I won't spoil the suprise :smokin:

Tutuur
13-03-2014, 22:09
Actually, the club is looking for a Europe area rep Arthur......

Matt mentioned this in the ND thread, if you want sent me a PM :)

w35ty
13-03-2014, 23:18
Know what your saying :) maybe there will be loads happening on here soon.. Maybe its just me :confused:

Trevhib
14-03-2014, 10:37
Matt mentioned this in the ND thread, if you want sent me a PM :)

Hi Athur :)

The place to start is with the club's senior area rep JP racing:
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/private.php?do=newpm&u=1418

JP will be able to tell you how to become an AR and what you can do in the role :agree:

I'll send you a PM to the same effect.

Tutuur
14-03-2014, 11:25
I'd like to do it on 1 condition: you have to come to The Netherlands this/next year :D

Trevhib
14-03-2014, 11:33
Great, get a meet/event organised and start rounding up the UK RTOC interest :D

Tutuur
14-03-2014, 11:37
Already have a great contender!

"Ardennenweekend" is what we organise every year, it consists of a puzzle tour theough the Belgian Ardennes on saturday ending at a camping where we have bbq, beer, campfire and sleeping capabilties. Followed by the traditional ring visit on Sunday.

This will be somewhere in September. I've already tried to get the lads over who where going to Sangliers as they already have the eurotunnel tickets anyway.

Trevhib
14-03-2014, 11:39
:agree:

Matt Cole
14-03-2014, 12:13
Already have a great contender!

"Ardennenweekend" is what we organise every year, it consists of a puzzle tour theough the Belgian Ardennes on saturday ending at a camping where we have bbq, beer, campfire and sleeping capabilties. Followed by the traditional ring visit on Sunday.

This will be somewhere in September. I've already tried to get the lads over who where going to Sangliers as they already have the eurotunnel tickets anyway.

Sounds excellent that! Must get my car road worthy!!:sad2:

Slammed 66
14-03-2014, 12:27
I'm always up for the prospect of a foreign trip. Holland is high on the list too as I'd like to visit Nijmegen to see where my grandfather fought during the war.

Make it happen tutuur and the people will come :agree:

Chunk
14-03-2014, 16:47
Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :cool2:

:rob:

Phil W
22-03-2014, 10:04
It's gone to

CENSORED :D

;);)

Slammed 66
22-03-2014, 10:11
And all the bitching and whining has stopped on here. Best outcome possible then

Phil W
22-03-2014, 10:14
Everything has stopped on here!!
:laugh:

Nottswoody
22-03-2014, 10:26
Far toooooooooo many dam clubs :disagree: I give up with them all

Slammed 66
22-03-2014, 10:27
Pointless drivell has stopped.... Well 'had' done ;)

But should I find the need to join a car club to discuss what I'm doing to my house or slate other clubs then I now know where to go. Thanks

Phil W
22-03-2014, 10:30
Pointless drivell has stopped.... Well 'had' done ;)

I see the bitching has not completely stopped!!! :laugh:

Phil W
22-03-2014, 10:31
Best thing about me posting this comment today means I have just tripled the activity for the day on here!!! :laugh:

Slammed 66
22-03-2014, 10:33
Excellent, I'll go find a medal for you Phil :agree:

Phil W
22-03-2014, 10:34
Excellent, I'll go find a medal for you Phil :agree:

Great stuff happy to receive. :cooter:

Slammed 66
22-03-2014, 10:41
Great stuff happy to receive. :cooter:

Yeah, I'd heard that :hump:

:laugh:

Phil W
22-03-2014, 10:57
Yeah, I'd heard that :hump:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Alex
22-03-2014, 11:56
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=13

There seems a raft of project activity in this section, perhaps more so that ever. :)

Nottswoody
22-03-2014, 14:04
So what's the numbers of members that have left/not renewed? But your right it's Defoe quiet :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Alex
22-03-2014, 14:10
It's actually increased. It's about the same though in fairness. It's only quiet as there's no more BS/arguing which is great as far as I'm concerned :agree:

Jonny5
22-03-2014, 14:45
It's actually increased. It's about the same though in fairness. It's only quiet as there's no more BS/arguing which is great as far as I'm concerned :agree:

GTphil
22-03-2014, 14:51
That "other site" :laugh: has more than a few hundred members I think.

All that jazz that went on was just to many ego's all in the same place. Childish really, I read most of it and was honestly shocked by it all. It's a car club not a school playground......:disagree:

Miles better now there are no big girls blowses about:agree:

Long live RTOC the "original" Renault Turbo Owners Club........... :yeah:

Goobie
22-03-2014, 14:56

:agree::cool:

Nottswoody
22-03-2014, 15:10
Saves me having to keep scrolling through as many threads.. I just hope new members and new threads can come through.. Don't be shy we won't bite your heads off it's all about helping each other out..

The bit I don't understand is alot of Rtoc members are on both am I missing something?

LiamR
22-03-2014, 21:47
Saves me having to keep scrolling through as many threads.. I just hope new members and new threads can come through.. Don't be shy we won't bite your heads off it's all about helping each other out..

The bit I don't understand is alot of Rtoc members are on both am I missing something?

Possibly curiosity or worry of missing out on something??

B18ftMOJO5
22-03-2014, 22:24
That "other site" :laugh: has more than a few hundred members I think.

All that jazz that went on was just to many ego's all in the same place. Childish really, I read most of it and was honestly shocked by it all. It's a car club not a school playground......:disagree:

Miles better now there are no big girls blowses about:agree:

Long live RTOC the "original" Renault Turbo Owners Club........... :yeah:

BluntyR5GTT
23-03-2014, 04:20
i honestly think the club is a much better place now, best its been in a long time for sure

Matt Cole
23-03-2014, 11:18
i honestly think the club is a much better place now, best its been in a long time for sure

:agree: hopefully we can keep moving forwards and provide the best we can for the members.;)

Rob1980
23-03-2014, 19:16
I have a question for the committee members if I may?

I have noticed that there has been a review of the hierarchy with different members now on the committee or moderators.... Could I please ask how they were voted on or how they got nominated? It would have been something that I would have liked to put myself forward for but I did not see anything as to how....

I'm just curious and if there was a thread that I missed then I will stand corrected:agree:

JP Racing
23-03-2014, 21:40
Hi Rob the way it normally works on the rtoc is a role gets advertised on the forums and all the people who apply are looked at by the current committee and a vote takes place to add them to the role. Most of the roles are advertised for around a month. I took on the Senior Area Rep role as I was voted in by the committee :) then once you take a role within the club with responsibility then you are put on the committee. I will be posting for some new area reps soon and if you are interested in any positions we have going You can apply :D although area reps don't get straight on to the committee you could work your way up with some hard work ;) here is the thread for SAR i appied for ;)

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=36206&highlight=SAR+position

Some other people offered help directly to the committee via pms and have been given roles which needed doing to like moderating and so on. If you are interested in helping just let me know and we will see if we can sort it out as many hands make light work ;)

Trevhib
24-03-2014, 09:53
Hi Rob, some people offered help directly to the committee via pms and have been given roles which needed doing to like moderating and so on. If you are interested in helping just let me know and we will see if we can sort it out as many hands make light work ;)

Matt Cole
24-03-2014, 10:38
Definitely need you help rob.;)

Rob1980
24-03-2014, 12:56
Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated :agree:

I will be honest and say that being a rep is not something that I could do with my limited mechanical knowledge! Running a business/website is something that I can definitely do but I know that I am unable to climb the ladder if you need to be a rep first.

5teve L
24-03-2014, 13:05
PM a committee member with what you feel you can help with (or post it on here) I don't think you need to be an AR, just have been a member more than a year. Also being an AR doesn't just mean you have to be a mechanic, you can arrange meets, convoys to meets/club days etc. there are many things you can do to get on the ladder.

djinuk
24-03-2014, 14:34
im still here , just flat out atm

Matt Cole
24-03-2014, 14:51
Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated :agree:

Running a business/website is something that I can definitely do ..

Rob , we need help with the new website!;)

Rob1980
25-03-2014, 14:34
I have sent a PM to a CM. However it can be for the attention of all CM's :agree:

Benjibrady
25-03-2014, 15:05
I shall start a thread within the committee section for You rob as I'm sure your help will be greatly received

Goobie
25-03-2014, 19:12
What is the actual role/duty of a Moderator? :confused: I used to be the Area Rep back in the day for BN-Brighton and surrounding area with regulator meets down by the pier, even a couple of curry meets that the london boys made the long ish trip to down sunny Eastbourne. It's still half price at my local on a Sunday to. :cool:

Benjibrady
25-03-2014, 19:25
My understanding is, and I'm genuinely not being sarcastic or condescending with this, to moderate the boards. Occasional the're spam posts that need tidying (it's rare but bizzarly I've had to delete four today), the boards need to be kept polite and generally family friendly. It also provides a person that those using the board can pm in confidence should the situation arise.

Kind of like a club prefect (I think)

Trevhib
25-03-2014, 20:14

LiamR
25-03-2014, 23:17
Do I get a rtoc prefects badge? ;)

Goobie
25-03-2014, 23:30
Do I get a rtoc prefects badge? ;)

I want a prefect badge! :cry:

cook1981
25-03-2014, 23:56
The majority of people are already on Facebook so the Facebook site is already there when they are looking through the news feed, im not a long term member of rtoc approx 2 years now,and I like rtoc for there articles and info, but when it comes to the response to a problem, which personally is why I pay a membership the Facebook site is winning hands down right now,what im seeing on here alot of the time when new members ask a question they get a response like check past threads. If someone has the experience to do a simple bit of typing to help them out they should do so, I thought that was what club spirit was about (enthusiasts) rant over, this is only my opinion but people new to any seen ask the same questions and for me as a long time member of sidc and passion ford thats not what I am seeing here I hope no one takes this the wrong way but we all pay for our pennies worth

Ian S
26-03-2014, 01:39
Is a lot of it about mobile phone use being so popular and FB working better with those? The way it notifies is maybe more sophisticated? Making the phone make a noise, if it does that?

5teve L
26-03-2014, 08:48
Facebook will ultimately be the end of RTOC as a forum, it's just to user friendly, & everyone & their dog is on there. The split of forums won't be of any help to membership either :crap:
RTOC will be OK for a few years yet & if we can get some sort of interface with facebook it may help the club move forward.

Tutuur
26-03-2014, 10:47
Personally i hate mobile websites! I'm an iphone user and all full websites work flawlessy on it so i much prefer the normal websites.

Imo mobile websites should be banned! Always the problem alot of features aren't accessable using mobile websites...

Tutuur
26-03-2014, 11:32
Maybe it's a good idea to start a chat thread in every subpart of the forum for little questions?

I can understand why people don't want to reply to every one of the new 20 threads when the title is vague.
Maybe for instance in a '5 gt turbo chat topic' people could ask stuff like: how do i remove my wiper arm etc.

Markey Mark (BD)
26-03-2014, 12:32
If people are going onto the FB pages for advice i would be warry, some of the advice i've seen on there is shocking! :eek:

I've not been on them for few months now so maybe things have changed but still hear horror stories on there

Slammed 66
26-03-2014, 12:44
some of the advice i've seen on there is shocking! :eek:

Jeff Ninebar
26-03-2014, 13:09
I joined the Turbo Renault site as it seemed that everyone off here had joined and I thought i'd have a look, but i'm yet to post. I have no intention of leaving the RTOC club and can't be arsed to spend time on two forums so doubt I ever will. There is a lot less activity in the general chat part of this site but lots of projects are still on the go and the help and advice is still here when required. Seems a shame that the club and small old renualt cars scene has basically split in two but I'm not that involved in it all to know the ins and outs of it all...

The Renault 5 GT Turbo owners facebook group is very busy everyday but it can be hard to keep track of the posts. It is very useful for immediate help and there will be a lot of people that use it in stead of joining up on here for a quick reply but its well worth joining the club as the forum offers a much better catalog of knowledge and articles.

Red October
26-03-2014, 16:50
As someone who runs the Facebook page we do refer a lot of technical issues towards RTOC as mentioned it is hard to find posts in the timeline.

like any open forum the page does have a minority that post "shocking" information but it is a very small minority of trolls or peoples sense of humour taken the wrong way.

Facebook will N E V E R replace niche websites like RTOC, never in a million years as mentioned before there is no order to the model it is literally a flash in the pan Q&A.

As far as our "allegiance" it is and always has been to promote the "mother" site which is RTOC. The dissention that occurred on here months ago threatened to spill over on Facebook but we decided to sit on the fence as not to cause further fractions in the R5 scene. Maybe that was the wrong course only time will tell but we could never be accused of anti democracy as its an open page with no spammed agenda.

IMO this page will get to a positive tipping point IF promotion of the other turbo Renault enthusiasts (twingo etc) takes off bringing in generic enthusiasts. Niche websites will always survive at some level.

Facebook interface will ultimately raise the game as far as membership goes. Younger car owners have grown up and become normal with new tech (tablets, smart phones) so to arrive on a site that doesn't offer ANYTHING they're used to will ultimately put them off.
Solve that and the recipe is perfect.......... then the battle with Turbo Renault begins!

The fact the club was split and I wouldn't say it was 50/50 or nowhere near that has happened and we have to move on which we are from what I've read. This site has 10 years of threads, members, posts, help, info, ideas etc, etc which is priceless, its a brand also albeit a forgotten rough around the edges one but still a brand. With effective marketing and advertising as mentioned IMO the future looks good.

I've got nothing against turbo Renault or its creators but if were sticking our flags in the sand mines with the original.......................and everyone knows remakes are never a patch on the originals!

Don't forget the weather is still garbage which keeps people off, also the fact winter projects are never finished on time is a factor too, give it another 6 week when the suns out and the rubbers burning and it will be a hive of activity.

In RTOC we trust.