PDA

View Full Version : Soft clutch and intercooler

Wallace
06-03-2014, 08:55
Hey all,

I've got the soft clutch conversion on my car and remember trial fitting a GT Tuning bread, and it was a no go......wouldn't fit without being fouled by the fork arm.

So question is, what have people fitted? And is a fmic the only way to go?

I'm not searching for big boost, just wanna run a T2/T25 at around 17psi maybe, so just considering the options:agree:

CHUNK The Goonies
06-03-2014, 11:01
Personally i fitted fmic , the cost of that is worth that nice soft clutch feel, as you know it's a right ball ache pushing the clutch on o/é arm . Plus once you get rid of the bread bin, you have room to put you filter in its place ,:):cooter:

Wallace
06-03-2014, 16:10
Very true:agree: I fitted it though mainly cause I drive my 5 like a grandad and just cruise:wasntme::smokin: was a ball ache sitting in traffic so thought its a must......

If front mount is the only way then I'll go down that route, but I suppose when I think about it, I'd rather not.........kinda like having an intercooler where I can see it:confused:

Markey Mark (BD)
06-03-2014, 16:22
How about a chargecooler set up?

R5MJH
06-03-2014, 16:34
weve just had a ebay special intercooler fitted behind the grill

pic attached

Rob1980
06-03-2014, 16:42
I have got almost the exact same setup and my car runs perfectly without a front mount. The only difference is that my car has got a full T25.

I am not sure what make my cooler is but if you look in the classifies you will be able to see pics of it there. If you need me too then I can open the bonnet and have a look to find out...

Everything sits perfectly in place with the soft pedal conversion. :agree:

Alastair
06-03-2014, 16:45
get rid of the bread bin and go OE lol

B18ftMOJO5
06-03-2014, 17:07
Ive got a raceland intercooler looks similar to the O.E. you can have it at ND. If you like im using the frontera one behind my grill. Frees up engine bay space and works well

Wallace
06-03-2014, 19:24
I may have confused things, but I'm using a pace single IC, not a GT Tuning breadbin - it just didn't fit so sold it to stuherts at the time to help him out.

Mark - tbh i wanted to avoid adding more into the engine bay, and also I think cost/benefit just doesn't weigh up......I don't really abuse my car that often, and was just thinking a slightly bigger intercooler would allow me to drop the charge temps and make things safer, or perhaps just more appropriate.

Mick - got a link for the intercooler mate? - I don't mind the look of that, look quite subtle!

Rob - thanks for the input mate, I've had a butchers at your pics and I think we're running the same set up give or take..........it is really just a case of wanting to mKe safe, and possible improve charge temps, but I don't know, maybe 17/18psi is ok through a single core IC

Wallace
06-03-2014, 19:26
weve just had a ebay special intercooler fitted behind the grill

pic attached

Does it affect running temps, or the rad in any way?

Obviously there'll be a degree of airflow, but anything noticeable changed?

Wallace
06-03-2014, 19:29
get rid of the bread bin and go OE lol

It's not far off OE, just a little more boost..........maybe over egging it, but just wanted to perhaps better charge temps, as from what I read, ideally running a single core IC and more than say 14psi is not ideal?

Wallace
06-03-2014, 19:31
Ive got a raceland intercooler looks similar to the O.E. you can have it at ND. If you like im using the frontera one behind my grill. Frees up engine bay space and works well

Frontera! Ok, another option:agree:

Just had a butchers in your profile, is the GTR yours??:crush::crush:

R5MJH
06-03-2014, 19:33
Does it affect running temps, or the rad in any way?

Obviously there'll be a degree of airflow, but anything noticeable changed?

ours was recently fitted i can get the size for ya, its a ebay special which we got 2nd hand with all the pipework, but it fits really well and the grill fits perfect in place, save cutting the bumper too, the temps are normal, but id say it gets to running temp a fraction faster, but is sweet on boost and at all other times matey

ill check the size and post tom for ya sir:agree:

Wallace
06-03-2014, 19:37
Cheers mick:agree:

I'm definitely not interested in cutting bumper and cross member and all that......so that would be blinding if you could please:agree:

R5MJH
06-03-2014, 19:39
Cheers mick:agree:

I'm definitely not interested in cutting bumper and cross member and all that......so that would be blinding if you could please:agree:

no probs matey ill check the pipe work sizes to i recon new the whole lots costs about £170 ish no cutting whatsoever:agree:

B18ftMOJO5
06-03-2014, 20:26
Frontera! Ok, another option:agree:

Just had a butchers in your profile, is the GTR yours??:crush::crush:

I wish the r35 gtr was mine. Sadly just someone who was getting a fish supper ffrom the local chippy. My most exotic car was a e34 3.8 m5 in daytonna violet colour. Now that was some car:smokin:

Charlie
06-03-2014, 20:48
Hi guys, sorry for buttin in on your thread, just a we question. I have a soft clutch but the fork doesn't fit into the plastic lugs on the release bearing what do I need to do.

turbo ted
06-03-2014, 22:04
what longer clutch fork have you got the Volvo one it should be the same at a gtt fork just longer so bearing should fit but you might have the clio172 fork also fits but you will need the clio172 thrust bearing to make it work. hope this helps robbie

Charlie
07-03-2014, 14:56
what longer clutch fork have you got the Volvo one it should be the same at a gtt fork just longer so bearing should fit but you might have the clio172 fork also fits but you will need the clio172 thrust bearing to make it work. hope this helps robbie

Yea that's great, don't know what one I had got it off ebay. From what you have said it must be the Clio one. Its made of cast metal not like the gtt one which is pressed steel, would that be wright?

Wallace
07-03-2014, 15:48
It's sounds right yes..........perhaps someone can confirm 100%???

But mine was the Volvo version and fitted straight on without issue:agree:

turbo ted
07-03-2014, 19:01
Yea that's great, don't know what one I had got it off ebay. From what you have said it must be the Clio one. Its made of cast metal not like the gtt one which is pressed steel, would that be wright?

if its heavy cast metal then it is the clio fork

Charlie
07-03-2014, 21:07
if its heavy cast metal then it is the clio fork
Glad to hear that as I took a chance and ordered a Clio release bearing today off Renault, will have it tomorrow morning second time lucky and £50 later. I will finally get the engine in tomorrow.:) Cheers guys.

R5MJH
21-03-2014, 18:07
wallace see here matey

post 4

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?p=370385#post370385

this kit should do the job:agree: