PDA

View Full Version : starter advice

cook1981
26-02-2014, 10:18
Hi folks im looking for any tips on how to remove the starter motor, what needs to come out first and am I best getting in from the top or under the car?

Guybrush
26-02-2014, 11:43
Bit of both.
I always find it easier doing it from underneath.

If you've still got the heatshields on, take them off first.

Remember to disconnect the battery before you do anything else :devil:

Mr Raider
26-02-2014, 12:45
Jack car up, front wheels off (can just jack drivers side up and remove that side wheel but easier with both off as more room under there). Disconnect battery.

Remove turbo heat shield,exhaust down pipe and front pipe also support bracket.

Undo starter motor support bracket and remove starter heat shield. Disconnect starter wiring, undo 3 bolts on gearbox to release starter motor. Remove from underneath the car, check to see if dowel stays in gearbox, or comes out in starter bolt hole as this will need to be refitted with replacement starter motor in same position.

JP Racing
26-02-2014, 14:17
Jack car up, front wheels off (can just jack drivers side up and remove that side wheel but easier with both off as more room under there). Disconnect battery.

Remove turbo heat shield,exhaust down pipe and front pipe also support bracket.

Undo starter motor support bracket and remove starter heat shield. Disconnect starter wiring, undo 3 bolts on gearbox to release starter motor. Remove from underneath the car, check to see if dowel stays in gearbox, or comes out in starter bolt hole as this will need to be refitted with replacement starter motor in same position.

What he said :agree::laugh:

Guybrush
26-02-2014, 15:10
check to see if dowel stays in gearbox, or comes out in starter bolt hole as this will need to be refitted with replacement starter motor in same position.

can't stress this enough... :sad:

cook1981
26-02-2014, 16:49
Thanks for the advice folks its all done, it took me a good 4 hours though, while I was at it I replaced the white wire from the back of the passengers light to the starter, it had been bodged before so its all good now

Mr Raider
26-02-2014, 21:08
What he said :agree::laugh:

Cheers JP, did mine a few times just got wiring issues as re-fitted it a month later on :ashamed:lol

Defo get quicker at doing it though! ;)

Glad you got it sorted fella