PDA

View Full Version : Holbay racing anyone no or heard of them! One for the older members

Bubblebagmagic
20-02-2014, 23:30
Hi guy just woundering if anyone new or heard of holbay racing ltd? I know the company went busy in the late 90s early 2000 but just wounderd had any one ever felt worked or new anyone or anything about them, I have a r 5 which had a engine build from them with a re profiled cam to fast road tornado spec, but haven't a clue about it or heard of tornado cams although I have documents for it with loads of makes and models of cars it does not have the r5 or other renaults from what I can remember, has anyone heard of the cam or had one re profiled to it? Will have to upload pics of stuff once I un packed my stuff from the move but just something I've been thinking about as I'd like to re set the valves but not sure how in accordance to the paper work I have regarding the reprofile, any infor help or opinions would be great cheers guys

B18ftMOJO5
21-02-2014, 00:56
heard the name there was a nice blue five on ebay long time ago from Scotland, said it was a holbay racing example.

Bubblebagmagic
21-02-2014, 10:07
That's my 5 now mate, but the guy I got it off in Birmingham stripped loads of the stuff out was a shame because the guy in Scotland spent loads of money on it, I'm more curious to the cam, it was running a stage 7 hes5i gt tunning turbo in the middle of redoing the engine now,

Sparkie
21-02-2014, 12:47
what was the guys name in birmingham and do you know which area he was from?

w35ty
21-02-2014, 13:40
Is that the electric blue one? that carlos had? :confused: if so iv got th rad out of it.. i remember that being all custom stuff and blinged up suppose to of been quick think he kept the engine out of it not sure though

Bubblebagmagic
21-02-2014, 18:02
Yer It was with the recaro seats! Carnt remember his name now but I have his number the ad of eBay so if any one knows more about the car It would greatly appritiated, the car from the info I have was rapid with shed loads of money put into it, yer the engine ran shit but did not know this at the time he said he changed the piston liner and I can tell u now he chatting shit cuz I have the engine gearbox clutch the works in my garden, head of and the piston liners haven't been change well the one he said! It backfired at 50-55 and could never drive it had loads of arguments with him he sold it under the impression the car was the sold with everything the folder had receipts for then I saw the pace racing oil cooler then I new I had been ****ed over! Now u had the rad I know he kept the turbo as I rang gt tunning on there stage 7 turbo and they said they didn't sell many of them, prob gunna have to watch what I say now but ****ed off ain't the word with that guy, he lives in Wolverhampton eBay name Hyde then sum numbers on the end, my nieveness came into not being clued up at all on fives and thought I had brought something good he seemed sound shown me his other two fives so thought nout about him, complete ****ing arse hole that's all I'm saying and now I have the engine in half to prove the advert is false I will now go see a solicitor took 2300 of me and lied in the ad car has cost me loads to sort out and still not right, rage is all I feel for that **** sorry if my language offends but I'm seriously pissed with that guy

Bubblebagmagic
21-02-2014, 18:04
Carl Hyde it just came to me now Wolverhampton

w35ty
21-02-2014, 19:33
Yeah thats the car, got blue leather dash and had recaros i remember now when it was first there had charge cooler the custom rad i now have and lots of bling suppose to of been a bit of a monster back in the day whoever had it :confused:

wolvo yeah i sometimes go there for parts seem a nice enough chap like but never bought a full car only bits and bobs sooo :confused:

Andrew Cooke
21-02-2014, 19:51
Holbay were a pretty big deal way back, competing with Cosworth and the like. However I suspect only the name was the same by the time your engine was built. If it was from the original Holbay, Dunnell is probably the nearest thing that exists.

With the typhoon cam, I seem to recall that name being used by Piper or Kent for a while in the 80's. Maybe that just my dodgy memory.

Andrew Cooke
21-02-2014, 19:56
wikipedia might give you a clue who to contact depending upon when your engine was built

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holbay_Engineering

this is probably your best bet

http://www.coltecracing.com/camshafts.html

michael tierney
21-02-2014, 20:59
I had a holbay tornado cam in an old R12 yonks ago.....I think it had either 12 or 16 thou clearances in inlet and exhaust!!:crap:

Adam 005
21-02-2014, 22:12
Holbay did the engine tuning on the Sunbeam Rapier H120 back in the 70s.
This is one of my favorite ever cars top 5

Bubblebagmagic
22-02-2014, 12:43
Wow thanks guys for info, and yes the guy who had the engine done there was defo a holbay one I have all the receipts for it, for the guy in Wolverhampton the only thing I will give him is he good for parts but I won't give him jack from me ****ing dick head lucky I dnt drive the car through his house!! I'll put the advert up so u guys can see, was advertised as needed tidying bits if interior trim, not whole engine build now I find it leaks water so the door seals are gone, just one thing after another with it, there many probs it could be with the engine that by the time I got (paid) someone to take engine out inspect then repair it was cheaper for me to get a whole engine gearbox and turbo to drop in it, I rang him once he said it needed tuning then it was this then that, I would really love to bump in to him the ****ing prick

Bubblebagmagic
22-02-2014, 12:47
Think the valves need redoing on the engine it had low compression on on one cylinder at 80psi the others were 135 I think it was any suggestions??

Benjibrady
22-02-2014, 15:52
Could be valves not seating properly but I would have imagined it's more likely to be your rings

Bubblebagmagic
23-02-2014, 18:08
Would that be down to valve clearance? Thanks Andy also for the links yer I do believe it was the real deal holbay engine was built in 96 just befor it went into liquidation a mr Paul Martin had a lot of work done there, would love to get the car back to how it was! Gets u down at times but any one that's seen it does look nice, all the probs tho have made me learn a few things about merchanics tho so knowlage gained just hate dishonest people, by all means strip the car it was your car but dnt sell it under the impression that all the shit it had done was still there cuz it not and to be fair if of prob brought the parts of ya just so it went back to the what it said in the folder,

Bubblebagmagic
25-02-2014, 15:15
Breaking the five now ****ed right off with it, ****ing jacking point has gone and pushed the wing out, more money to replace so just about had enough might aswell of just chucked five grand in to the wind ahhhhh