PDA

View Full Version : How many people can see classifieds?

Spidey
12-01-2009, 18:17
Just wondered how many people can actually see the classified adds, my thoughts are that as only paided memebers can see classified adds, how can someone who hasnt got membership buy a car from rtoc?

I bought my 5 through the old temp forum, but wouldnt pay to be a member without a car, leaving people to buy from eBay and occasionally autotrader.....

When I was looking for a 5 I wanted one from an RTOC member to know it was well looked after etc....

Just clicked on to classified to check if anyone had asked anything about my car to see you need to be a member..... :confused:

Don't you think the classified bits should be public to allow (a) RTOC members to advertise there motor to more than just RTOC members, (b) non members to buy motors and bits and (c) non members to sell RTOC members cars,parts etc....

Mart
12-01-2009, 18:23
Nothing stopping you from advertising your car on Autotrader, Ebay, and the such like.

Some might say that if you're advertising a car on here, it's a fair bet it'll go to a good home, and help keep the gtt/rtoc world alive. Of course, if you don't give a sh1t about that, you won't be worried who comes up with the folding.

Points B & C will never happen. Why should 'joe bloggs' be given free advertising space on here (and then no doubt open to abusing it), when everyone else pays for that privilege?

Spidey
12-01-2009, 18:37
Dont give a sh*t about it? before making comments like that, why don't you go and read the advert, why come at me with an attitude like that?

Keep the RTOC world alive? exactly what I was saying, I bought mine from a RTOC member, I wasnt a member before I had that but was after I bought it.... hence you gain a new member...... keep it alive

As for Joe Bloggs advetising why not?

Mart
12-01-2009, 18:46
Attitude? It was a figure of speech; I was generalising.

You joined rtoc, and fair play for doing that, but that doesn't necessarily apply to every non-rtoc member who'd purchase a gtt. I'd like to think that wouldn't be the case, but unfortunately it is.

As I say, members pay for the privilege of advertising (amongst other things) on here, plus the fact that once upon a time the Classifieds was open to non-members, and it got badly abused over the years.

I can see both sides of the story, so in a way I guess it could be made possible for non-members to at least view the Classifieds, rather than being able to post in there. Then again, you might then get members moaning that they've missed out on a chance to buy something because 'joe bloggs' has got in there first.

Swings & roundabouts.

Mudslinger
12-01-2009, 18:47
Dont give a sh*t about it? before making comments like that, why don't you go and read the advert, why come at me with an attitude like that?

Keep the RTOC world alive? exactly what I was saying, I bought mine from a RTOC member, I wasnt a member before I had that but was after I bought it.... hence you gain a new member...... keep it alive

As for Joe Bloggs advetising why not?

Re-read his post m8 ;)

the rtoc classifieds in my eyes is meant to be a place where u can buy from tustworthy like minded members and have some trust there , unforunatley there is the odd few that take advantage of this privalige even though they are members , opening the classifieds up to non members would make it even worse .

I do see what your saying though and it all sounds good in principle but making the classifieds public would just leave the club and its members wide open :crap:

Spidey
12-01-2009, 19:36
I agree it's swings and rounderbouts...

Saying that though, like you said open it up for non-members to view, there's very few members who are gonna buy a £2k+ car, granted one or two but the majority of cars that seem to sell are "projects" or not quite projects and need a bit of work, but for someone like me, I just wanted a well kept road going 5 from word go....and was prepared to pay for it.

The best thing would probably be to open the classified adds, or at least whole car classifieds (cars for sale) to the public to view, leave off phone number details etc... then if someone did really want a motor that was forsale they could become a member and pm the seller, If I was looking for the right car for anything more than a grand I think I would be prepared to pay membership to contact the seller.

I know there were some spamming issues on the temp site, but other forums I use manage ok.....

As you call it a privilage to advertise, I think it's more of a privilage of being able to see it, as your only advertising to few hundred people..... And like my add say I desperatly want it to go to an RTOC member who'll look after it and would really rather not sell it to some chav to ruin it.... But again, I wasnt an RTOC member before I bought it, but bought it through RTOC with confidence!

As for the "trustworthy" members abusing it, yes I've read the feedback threads..... would of thought people would have more about them selfs these days :sad2:

Penfold aka The Dealer
12-01-2009, 19:44
Tbh i hadnt thought about making non members being able to see your advert.

one big problem from any advert on the internet where "joe bloggs" can see your advert is that you could get spammed or people trying to con you.... but 99.9% of our member's should be aware of spammers and cons.

I will raise it with the committee and see what they have to see about making for the sale section to be seen by non members aswell as members.

Mart
12-01-2009, 21:03
I know there were some spamming issues on the temp site, but other forums I use manage ok.....

I was actually referring to the old club website and the prob's we had back then, not the temp' forum.

Phil B
12-01-2009, 22:54
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Right. Basically.... Spidey is very sad to be selling his car because it is truly the finest example around. And Spidey doesnt want to sell his beautiful car to any old muppet who may be tempted to violate it with some nasty bits and bobs. So he wants make sure all RTOC members are aware of this fantastic offer to make sure the white raider goes to a good home.....

Now lets all live in Harmony and :smokin:..........

The End

Spidey
13-01-2009, 08:18
lol :laugh: