PDA

View Full Version : new build

nate78
11-02-2014, 16:19
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hi all, ive rebuilt my engine but wont be fitting it in the car until for a while, my question is will turning the engine over by hand produce enough pressure for the oil pump to work and lube the engine or is there another way to keep the engine internals covered in oil until its ready to go back in the car? thanks

Trevhib
11-02-2014, 16:24
If it's just sat around and if you used rebuild lube throughout, it should be ok. When firing up for the first time, remove the king lead (so the engine doesn't fire) and let it turn over until the oil pressure rises. Then refit and fire up properly.

Slammed 66
11-02-2014, 16:26
Moved to the relevant section for you Nate :)

As for turning it over by hand, I can't see that you'd even get close to making oil pressure. Maybe if you used a windy gun on the crank?

I wouldn't worry too much though. Slip some diesel down the bores and turn it over every now and then.

nate78
11-02-2014, 16:39

thanks, for moving and the advice, just hope to get the engine bay area cleaned and welded as soon as possible so i can get the engine back in, thanks again

Dave Reed
11-02-2014, 17:11
As said if the engine has been built properly then just turning over once a week by hand will be sufficient.

ScottKinnear
11-02-2014, 18:22
As said if the engine has been built properly then just turning over once a week by hand will be sufficient.

:agree:

nate78
11-02-2014, 18:51

hmmm, thats if it has been built propery, the trouble is i built it!! hahaha