PDA

View Full Version : Dump valve or no Dump valve ?? ... not to clued up on it

oggie1970
03-02-2014, 14:28
ive been researching on the net why some set ups have a DV and some haven't. :crap:

ive also seen its course some rows on the Scooby forums: which I DONT want to cause here :cartman:

just on personal opinions if you can help me with whether I should or shouldn't put 1 in I would appreciate it

Thanks in adavance

Dre5gtt
03-02-2014, 14:50
If you like the sound then why not :agree: makes no difference to the car, all about personal preference

Nad-5GTT
03-02-2014, 15:13
Putting my neck on the line now :scared: for me it's purely only for the sound it makes I fecking love it, whether it's good or bad for the turbo is irrelevant to me :D

And I'm not a chav before people start calling me one, I'm sure the people that have met me will vouch for that. :agree:

LeeR5GTT
03-02-2014, 15:25
Not for me I'm afraid, but it's personal preference... I prefer the chatter :)

oggie1970
03-02-2014, 15:37
that's what I thought ..I always thought it was personal preference.

I haven't got a DV in mine cos I got told it'll lose boost between gear changes ...:scratch:

but I thought u dnt lose boost ..

. but im a complete stranger to these aspects so .that y I pay my £15 a year for a wide range of opinions and facts ..:D

Chrispraider
03-02-2014, 15:38
is waste gate chatter bad for the turbo?

Romil Davda
03-02-2014, 19:34
I like the sound of a DV, you can't beat a BOV... But i found my car was more responsive without the DV, it has stayed off!

Chris - no, wastegate chatter (Compressor surge) does not ruin the turbo.

Wallace
03-02-2014, 19:41
Putting my neck on the line now :scared: for me it's purely only for the sound it makes I fecking love it, whether it's good or bad for the turbo is irrelevant to me :D

And I'm not a chav before people start calling me one, I'm sure the people that have met me will vouch for that. :agree:

Second that:agree:

They are childish but every time I change gear I just smile to myself.......all part of the fun:D

Just don't ruin a good boost hose, buy one that's already been butched for the job:agree:

Romil Davda
03-02-2014, 19:46
oh I forgot to mention, if you are running big boost, make sure you get an uprated spring or one to match you psi, for the DV.

TopCat
03-02-2014, 19:49
All about the dump valve mate. It is personal preference. Its your car after all.

Never fails to bring a smile to my face when i hear one.

Chrispraider
03-02-2014, 19:50
I think I prefer the sound of wastegate chatter so I might get rid of mine. Will I still get it with standard set up? Ive just bought a KTR 230 and i`m gonna be running 18psi to start so glad you mentioned about changing the spring as i`d have just kept it as it was.

oggie1970
03-02-2014, 21:04
i agree with the personal preference bit …

im running 20 psi of boost … so if ..for example i was to put a DV in …

.would a twin piston one suit ? again its from what i read and researched briefly

Rob_p6 pug
04-02-2014, 19:07
I wouldn't bother with one personally only if I was running a lot of power but the idea of a blow off valve is to release the unused pressure left in the inlet manifold when you let your foot off the throttle,the dump valve dumps this pressure to atmospher and prevents the turbo form stalling which in turn helps with turbo lag.
The chatter you get through the inlet is this excess pressure being forced by the compressor wheel on the turbo therefore creating turbo stall.
If your gonna buy one buy a good quality one as cheepo ones can leak boost .

oggie1970
04-02-2014, 22:45
I wouldn't bother with one personally only if I was running a lot of power but the idea of a blow off valve is to release the unused pressure left in the inlet manifold when you let your foot off the throttle,the dump valve dumps this pressure to atmospher and prevents the turbo form stalling which in turn helps with turbo lag.
The chatter you get through the inlet is this excess pressure being forced by the compressor wheel on the turbo therefore creating turbo stall.

cheerz pal …. i was thinking of putting one in ..and was looking at one that are from about 130 - 200 …. but not in a rush to put one in :cool:

just enquireing at the moment :coffee:

Trevhib
05-02-2014, 11:27

Uh-oh. :scared:

oggie1970
05-02-2014, 17:34
Uh-oh. :scared:

what one your mind mate lol :D

Guybrush
05-02-2014, 18:03
to dump or not to dump that is the question.

the answer is, it doesn't matter. personal preference. you prefer the sound of a train-like whoosh, or a rabid bird?

Kingscott
20-02-2014, 16:58
IMO avoid any piston type DV's, they can leak.

I have a forge motorsport DV that I have run for years, come with a spring tuning kit and I have a Kevlar diaphragm fitted.

Its been a great bit of kit, i used to run 28 psi but now im down to 21 ish.

unsure if they do the same model now but hey.