PDA

View Full Version : Carb trouble

GTphil
26-01-2014, 10:52
So after my bro sold his phase 1 with my carb on it, (I did agree and he paid me for it) I have been stuck with the one that came off his car.

No matter what I do I just can't get rid of the really bad flat spot when I pull the throttle sharply:mad: on the afr gauge it goes off the scale lean and the engine cuts out. I have re-set the accelerator pump about a million times with the 5mm drill bit method to no avail.:(

This morning I changed the carb base for a different one and also the accelerator pump block on the side of the carb also the spring inside, I even changed the little accelerator jet and the small brass tube with new seals on both.

F'in thing is still the same! :mad:

When I look down the carb I have a good squirt of fuel and when the throttle is pulled gently it's smooth as silk. Idles fine and drives fine apart from said flat spot. The only thing I haven't changed is the carb body. (next on the list but I ran out of time)

Anybody else any ideas? Apart from EFI :rolleyes:

Fordy
26-01-2014, 11:52
Accel jet blocked no doubt it's only .4mm hole and clogs up easy

GTphil
26-01-2014, 12:58
Is this down underneath the delivery tube or inside the carb body?

casper
26-01-2014, 13:30
You 100% sure the acc jet is .40?The acc jet is the one thats next to the a/c jet and hooks over.Have you got the spring in the right way round inside the acc pump?

gtmatt
26-01-2014, 14:00
I've got 2 body's here mate ,if u wana try but will have to come to the ghetto sale or return lol

GTphil
26-01-2014, 16:21
dunno what the accelerator jet is. I'm assuming it's standard. This carb was fine until it was taken off joshes car for a month or so then when it went back on, firstly it had this hesitation issue and was also lean on boost with just 8psi and a t2 even tho before it fueled for 22psi with a t25. Does suggest a blockage of some sort.

Cheers Matt, I have a few carb bodies already dude:agree:

I'm gonna fire bomb the ****! :mad: :laugh:

GTphil
26-01-2014, 16:42
Ohh and the spring is small end towards carb body:)

casper
26-01-2014, 18:50
Like this phil?Also the 5mm drill bit trick is a guide.Try putting more fuel in.

Fordy
26-01-2014, 19:05
Claspers right, the accelerator pump jet is the one that bends into the top of the Venturi.

Pretty sure it's 0.Something mm it's tiny and blocks easy, I've got one here that's blocke enough to cause the same issues your having.

Tried sticking a micro drill but in but it only get the end of the bend clear, i ha a spare to swap with that let more through when blow tested via mouth.

KEV 5 GT
26-01-2014, 20:58
ive been having the same prob now for weeks acc pump jet dont squirt like it should was fine when i got the car untill i took carb off to check and clean now it wont tick over right up and down cuts out afrs all over the place pops and bangs from exhaust the lot dunno what to do with the bloody thing ????

GTphil
27-01-2014, 08:01
I changed the delivery tube (accelerator jet) and it made no difference, unless both were blocked, also the the spring in the accelerator pump block on the side of the carb is the opposite way round to how I have it in the diagram, depends on what gasket is in there as some are smaller than others.

Going to try and have another play around tonight after work. :)

casper
27-01-2014, 08:14
Shortening the rod puts more fuel in.I have one of the newer style membranes here phil that you can have if you want.

GTphil
27-01-2014, 15:00
All sorted :agree: it was the delivery tube/jet I have three and two of them were partially blocked the third seemed clear, whipped it in and jobs a good un:D

Revs nice and smoothly now with no flat spot.

Even managed to take it for a quick tinkle up the road :smokin:

Fordy
27-01-2014, 18:05
:agree: :)