PDA

View Full Version : Strut brace fixing bolts

Russgt5
11-01-2009, 19:44
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I bought a strutbrace (omp 1 piece) and braved the cold weather to go fit it today but i have found a small problem i'd like some advice with.After i took the 2 bolts out from each strut tower (the ones that will hold the brace in place) i noticed that once the brace is fitted and i put the original bolts back,the extra thickness of the brace on top of the strut tower means that the bolts will only have like 3 "threads" going into the top of the suspension..........so i thought id get some longer bolts but cant find any and the original renault ones i took out seem to only have a thread halfway down the bolt then its also tapered at the bottom end.Are these a special kind of bolt or can i just get any 13mm bolts to use? (i was just going to get a nut that fits the original bolt then take nut to halfords and find a longer bolt that fits the same nut).
Have any of you guys had this prob or did u just stick the original bolts back in after u fitted your braces......im wary as it realy dont look like much of the bolt will be going into the strut top thing under the tower and im worried about it shaking loose/breaking/falling off etc...
Thx in advance,russ.

Alastair
11-01-2009, 19:47
Russ they are either M6 or M8, i cant remember off hand. just get some longer ones. Although i would ensure they are a minimum of 8.8 tensile.

bones660
11-01-2009, 19:52

I bought a strutbrace (omp 1 piece) and braved the cold weather to go fit it today but i have found a small problem i'd like some advice with.After i took the 2 bolts out from each strut tower (the ones that will hold the brace in place) i noticed that once the brace is fitted and i put the original bolts back,the extra thickness of the brace on top of the strut tower means that the bolts will only have like 3 "threads" going into the top of the suspension..........so i thought id get some longer bolts but cant find any and the original renault ones i took out seem to only have a thread halfway down the bolt then its also tapered at the bottom end.Are these a special kind of bolt or can i just get any 13mm bolts to use? (i was just going to get a nut that fits the original bolt then take nut to halfords and find a longer bolt that fits the same nut).
Have any of you guys had this prob or did u just stick the original bolts back in after u fitted your braces......im wary as it realy dont look like much of the bolt will be going into the strut top thing under the tower and im worried about it shaking loose/breaking/falling off etc...
Thx in advance,russ.
just m8 bolts mate . :agree:

Russgt5
11-01-2009, 19:54

Thx for the advice lads!:agree:,why the hell dont these companies supply the longer bolts with the braces as a kit or at least as an accessory.

Scoff
11-01-2009, 21:02
if your lucky your B+Q hardware section might have 8.8 grade M8 bolts. they used to stock 8.8 local to me, were cheap too. now they stock cheap no-grade bolts that are not upto much, I wouldn't trust them with suspension. have a look, if they have 8.8 embossed in the top's then they'll be fine. if they don't, leave them there.