PDA

View Full Version : Gearboxes

TNT Tricky Nicky
23-01-2014, 19:48
Hi all, just a quick one, maybe obvious but wanted to check, looking at gearboxes and just wondered if the code started with j it has the same mounting points/casing?

Bit of research and I found out j in the engine code meant manual ie c1j

So does that mean that although it starts with a j it just means it's manual rather than casing/bell house design?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
23-01-2014, 22:59
C1j has nothing to do with the gearbox code 'J'.....
Any JB or JC gearbox had same bolt pattern to fit the C and F block engines.

TNT Tricky Nicky
24-01-2014, 00:25
Thanks for the reply Matt

I know the engine code has nothing to do with the gearbox code. I had been researching, without much luck, but found a breakdown of codeing, didn't read it correctly obviously and probably couldn't find it again if I tried.

So it's just jb & jc with the same case?

So J series has no relation to anything and the second letter the casing?

Chunk
24-01-2014, 09:42
Not necessarily, some JB1s and JB3's have different casings as the starter motor mounts on the front of the block on some Renault engines

Just have a look at the box and make sure the starter motor is at the back and it should be ok.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
24-01-2014, 09:43
Sorry mate (TNT) wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs!!!:laugh:
The gearbox coding is as follows....

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
24-01-2014, 09:45
Not necessarily, some JB1s and JB3's have different casings as the starter motor mounts on the front of the block on some Renault engines

Just have a look at the box and make sure the starter motor is at the back and it should be ok.

Yes that's true, and the change mechanisms can be on top as opposed to underneath. But, that's mostly due to later engines and gearboxes.

TNT Tricky Nicky
24-01-2014, 15:53
Sorry mate (TNT) wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs!!!:laugh:
The gearbox coding is as follows....

No problem, I got to the point I was confusing myself and thought it best to just ask :ashamed: . That's exactly what I was looking for thanks :agree:

Thanks for the replies guys, think I'll knock that idea on the head and stick to what I know, which isn't much now a days :laugh:

evogill
25-01-2014, 20:02
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

does anyone know difference between standard box and gt turbo. first 3 letters are same ..jb3?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
26-01-2014, 08:09
Mostly down to the ratios, jb3014 for example the 014 denotes the ratios.

evogill
26-01-2014, 12:38
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

thanks matt. is it longer gears or shorter do you know. more or less top end? didn't know if turbo ones are bit stronger? thanks again

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
26-01-2014, 12:42
Try this mate.

http://www.getflat.co.uk/phcdownload/upload/manuals/clio172/MRBVJBJC.pdf

Gives you repair methods and ratios.