PDA

View Full Version : R5 gt turbo

Raider1983
21-01-2014, 09:36
Hi guys just looking for a bit of advice. I'm currently running the standard c1j block. I'm looking at getting a piper cam. I.e either the 170 fast road cam or the 185 ultimate road. As any1 got either of these fitted and could comment.
Any help appreciated. :)

mk5gtt
21-01-2014, 10:05
Hi im running the piper 285 with the vernier and piper springs and a t25 it pulls better and has more grunt top end you will need the springs for the 285 to stop the coils binding whitch means head off and the vernier if you want to dial in a bit of advance or retard it a bit all extra costs to think about im sure some others can give you some more insite into what works best with driving style and what you want the car to do

GTphil
21-01-2014, 10:30
285 with a larger blower t25/28 has been tried tested and proven to be a good combination :agree:

Raider1983
21-01-2014, 12:26
Yeah I was thinking 185 with the springs, pulley and a t25 blower, head ported polished new valves ect and going to have my fly wheel lightened and balanced with uprated clutch.

Nad-5GTT
21-01-2014, 12:37
Yeah I was thinking 185 with the springs, pulley and a t25 blower, head ported polished new valves ect and going to have my fly wheel lightened and balanced with uprated clutch.

Tell me too shut up if you already know, but the correct way is to get your crankshaft balanced at the same time as your flywheel so there both in sink with each other. I only found this out not too long ago as I was going to get a l & b flywheel untill I read this :crap:

Raider1983
21-01-2014, 12:45
Rite ok cheers for that I didn't know. Just really unsure on what cam to get as I don't really know much tbh.

Nad-5GTT
21-01-2014, 13:00
Rite ok cheers for that I didn't know. Just really unsure on what cam to get as I don't really know much tbh.

You sound in the same boat as me, I've a standard rebuilt lump with a t25 and I'm going to be getting the 285 with the springs and vernier. You may have to factor in New cam followers or at least make sure they are flat and true.

Goobie
21-01-2014, 14:34
Get the 285 cam and be done with it. That way it's more capable should you decide you want bigger turbo/more boost later down the line. :agree:

As for the balancing, get the flywheel done, if your bottom end is out in bits, get the crank to match if you got the money, if it's not, I wouldn't worry to much about getting the crank balanced matched unless your chasing bhp figures?, if you are, then may as well get some head work done to while your at it. :cool:

Nad-5GTT
21-01-2014, 14:46
As for the balancing, get the flywheel done, if your bottom end is out in bits, get the crank to match if you got the money, if it's not, I wouldn't worry to much about getting the crank balanced matched unless your chasing bhp figures?, if you are, then may as well get some head work done to while your at it. :cool:

Interesting, now I'm not saying your wrong Goobie but I heard you need to balance everything at once from a good source on here. Now the reason I'm questioning you is because I'd like to throw a lightened and balanced flywheel on myself but I don't want to strip my engine to get the crank balanced at the same time, so I've just shelved the idea.

So people can a lightened and balanced flywheel be bolted on with no other balancing work? I'd be more than happy if I was wrong...:D

Goobie
21-01-2014, 14:54
I may of not posted clear enough what I ment with my comment. Yes, todo it properly you balance it all together. :agree:

Reason with my post was mainly because op not sure on which cam which said to me he not chasing bhp figures. :)

Therefore, as he was looking to get the fly done I agree with that as easy bolt on and off job, but whipping the crank out not so. :laugh: So if not major fussed, just do the fly, if chasing bhp?, cranks and head work. :agree: :D

Nad-5GTT
21-01-2014, 14:57
:laugh: I've just done a quick search on here and its all a bit contradictory, which didn't surprise me in the least :rolleyes: or help me. On the shelf for me untill I blow it up :D

Goobie
21-01-2014, 14:59
So people can a lightened and balanced flywheel be bolted on with no other balancing work? I'd be more than happy if I was wrong...:D

Just to add, fitting a balance flywheel on its own is totally fine and very common. You don't need other supporting mods just to run that. Gains are still had with just the flying being reworked. :agree:

For high revving engine builds, I would go with full bottom balancing, this is usually/best done with the clutch bolted on to, as it's all matched in one piece. :smokin:

Raider1983
21-01-2014, 15:03
Yeah I'm not chasing big bhp. Not interested in that just want a quick little engine. So say go for the 185 ?? Cheers for the comments ;)

CHUNK The Goonies
27-01-2014, 23:03
I'm running a piper 285 cam and vernier, uprated springs, followers . All new bearing , left the crank and I dint run a l&b flywheel., stuck a cosie fuel pump on , malpassi Fpr , and braided up the fuel lines. A few tweaks a squeaks of the carb, and your away..upto and past the 200bhp. Sounds angry , drives great round doors to :):agree: