PDA

View Full Version : Caliper piston lubricant

Jimmy_GTT
18-01-2014, 22:01
Do you use any lubricant/grease on the caliper piston before compressing in case of a brake-disc/pad change?
I have read somewhere to use brake grease.

And what to use on the slider pins?

greggtt
18-01-2014, 23:27
Do you use any lubricant/grease on the caliper piston before compressing in case of a brake-disc/pad change?
I have read somewhere to use brake grease.

And what to use on the slider pins?

Slider pins I would use copper grease I,e the grease you would use on the pads etc as it is anti seize , as for the piston itself if it's moving freely just leave it alone and push it back in slowly and it should be fine , if it's seized try to spray some wd40 behind the rubber seal and work it back and forward ( get some one in side the car to use the brake to push it back out) but be careful not to push it out too far as it can pop out the calliper also leave the other side on the car as easier to work one side at a time as the other one may pop out if disconnected while pushing the piston out .

Hope this helps

Greg

Andrew Cooke
18-01-2014, 23:43
do not use copper slip on slider pins, it isn't a lubricant, it's an anti-seize. Have a look for a suitable silicone lube.

greggtt
19-01-2014, 01:18
do not use copper slip on slider pins, it isn't a lubricant, it's an anti-seize. Have a look for a suitable silicone lube.

Never had a problem with it used it on my cars for years , I realise its petroleum based but never had problems with stretched rubbers etc seemed to work well in my experience, we all used to use it at the garage I worked at and never seen any unwanted damage because of it but not having a go just personal experience. I was told if it was that bad then you wouldn't put it any where near the backs of the pads as it could transfer to the piston rubber and cause damage but never seen that either and I'm sure the majority grease the backs of the pads without a second thought.

greggtt
19-01-2014, 01:29
http://www.3-in-one.co.uk/products/anti-seize-copper-grease/

Andrew Cooke
19-01-2014, 10:22
that isn't copper slip...

the problem isn't that copper slip attacks the rubber, it's that it isn't a lubricant, ie it stops the sliders sliding.

I should correct the trade name to 'copaslip'

greggtt
19-01-2014, 10:58
that isn't copper slip...

the problem isn't that copper slip attacks the rubber, it's that it isn't a lubricant, ie it stops the sliders sliding.

I should correct the trade name to 'copaslip'

No probs , to clarify its copper grease I use and seems fine on pads and slides.

Jimmy_GTT
19-01-2014, 20:58
Thanks mates!
I'll try to buy this one:
http://www.ate-info.de/en/products/datasheet/ate-bremszylinder-paste-180-ml/