View Full Version : Camshaft

Fused7
15-01-2014, 21:54
First post!

Hi All
I'm new to the site and have a couple of questions! Its proberbly been asked before but I'm rebuilding a c1j engine(I'm no mechanic by the way) and I've replaced the crankshaft,main bearings,big ends, new pistons & liners and a piper cam285 but I can't get the distributor gear to sit at 90 degrees to the bore when at TDC like it says in the Haynes manual, it will only sit at 1 o'clock or 11 o'clock with the bigger offset towards the flywheel am I doin sumfing wrong??
Also wots the best size turbo to run wiv this cam set up?
Thanks

turbo ted
15-01-2014, 22:20
the Haynes manual is not always right, your right its at 11 o clock at tdc at number one plug on the distributor, turbo wise a t25 to a t28 works well with a 285 cam:)

Fused7
16-01-2014, 05:02
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thanks mate I just thought if I followed the Haynes I couldn't go far wrong, but it just didn't make sense as u can probably tell I'm a bit of a novice an need all the help I can get :) thanks again

Fused7
16-01-2014, 07:23

will i need to fit a vernier pulley??

GTphil
16-01-2014, 09:59
That depends on how the shaft times up, when I fitted my 285 I fitted a vernier at the same time, simply because I wanted to be able to adjust the cam timing to suit my application.

However Some people have said that when checking the timing without a vernier that it was out due to a poorly ground camshaft. Mine however came in at 112 degrees as stated by piper. I was quite shocked after what I had read. Of course if this was the case a vernier would be able to correct the timing should it be out from pipers stated timing.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4744

This gives a little insight into how to do it.

Fused7
16-01-2014, 18:14

Thanks for all your help chaps, uve given me some good info.