PDA

View Full Version : Pearl White

RJR
27-12-2013, 21:38
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi there, im just about to book my car in for a full respray, it's an '89 pearl white car... I want the paint to be as close to original as possible, could someone confirm whether the body kit/bumpers etc... Should all be pearl white too, or just solid white?

Also - does anybody know the correct paint code?

Thanks in advance...

Haz
27-12-2013, 23:46
From memory it's white basecoat with 158 pearl. I think bumpers/kit same colour but with matting agent in the laquer. Do check the colour chips with the bodyshop to confirm its what you want, I've seen a few that have put far too much pearl on and looks tobacco stained ;)

Trevhib
28-12-2013, 09:34
:agree:

1989 Phase 2 pearl...The kit is certainly not solid white, it's definitely the same colour as the body.

RJR
29-12-2013, 10:56

Thanks for the comments - I will check the paint code on the car.

As mentioned, I want the car to be as close to standard as possible, so I want to get it right, including the finish on the body kit etc...

TNT Tricky Nicky
29-12-2013, 14:51
Don't know if/when but pearl White came with a white moulded body kit & weren't painted :scratch:

I'm confused :confused:, was that just the phase 1? Did they then fit the black kit and paint it for the phase 2, or was it still white and given a coat of pearl?

Bit of a pointless post (by me) really as I guess your only option is painting the kit the same as the shell :laugh:

RJR
29-12-2013, 15:05

Don't know if/when but pearl White came with a white moulded body kit & weren't painted :scratch:

I'm confused :confused:, was that just the phase 1? Did they then fit the black kit and paint it for the phase 2, or was it still white and given a coat of pearl?

Bit of a pointless post (by me) really as I guess your only option is painting the kit the same as the shell :laugh:

So for it to be correct, as originally sold in '89, the body kit should be painted pearl white, with the same finish as the body - gloss??

TNT Tricky Nicky
29-12-2013, 15:30
So it's phase 2.

Easiest way to tell is by looking at the back, unpainted side of the body kit, if it's black it should be colour coded, if it's white and been painted your only option is to repaint it, if it's the same colour both sides and unpainted, clean it up the best you can :agree:

As for how it came from the factory, i wouldn't know, they were all different, it could have been fitted with left over phase 1 bits and be a 1.5, you could see what the oval plate brings up ?

Trevhib
29-12-2013, 17:07
Lol Nicky.

This has already been cleared up, there's no confusion here as far as I can see but you're doing your best to introduce some :D

This is a phase 2 car. The kit should be the same colour as the body, with the tweak as per Haz's post.

TNT Tricky Nicky
29-12-2013, 17:41

^ lol. Indeed trev, I wasn't aware what phase a 89' was, I was also confused as mine is phase 2 & was pearl white, the paint was shot and all pearl whites I'd seen had that tabacco stain to them which is what swayed me away from the pearl. Anyway, my kit was white not black, but wasn't painted as such but had been blown over with pearl, it could have been done at anytime.

My point is the original kit will dictate what needs to be done

Haz
29-12-2013, 18:12
Iirc if the kit still has the stippled it's pearl with matt laquer usually ph1, 1.5. If the kit is smooth as ph2 then gloss.

TNT Tricky Nicky
29-12-2013, 18:30
Iirc if the kit still has the stippled it's pearl with matt laquer usually ph1, 1.5. If the kit is smooth as ph2 then gloss.

That's what I thought, but mine is/was definately ph2, white and stippled. Just put it down to a small number of ph2 kits made in White and then stopped due to one reason or another.

So to say, without knowing, which ph kit is fitted, how the kit is currently finished or the history of the car to how it left the factory is impossible. I replaced a lot of my kit as it wasn't in great condition and I wanted a smooth finish.

RJR
29-12-2013, 19:04

Ok, thanks again for all the comments... I'll be going with the with the quote above - its a phase 2 with smooth body kit, so I will have it all painted gloss pearl as with the rest of the car... I just hope I can get the correct level of pearl...

I will keep you posted on progress, I'm paying top money, so I'm expecting a 'top job', hence the need for exact spec...

Trevhib
29-12-2013, 19:57
That's really interesting Nicky :agree: