PDA

View Full Version : cast steel or cast iron?

markey b
09-01-2009, 19:43
does anyone know what the std GTT manifold is made from?

tried googling about welding onto cast steel, but one forum suggests more manifolds are cast iron.. i'm confuzzled.... oh and not going to be welding either... my buddy is an engineer/welder with a whole workshop at his disposal, but i wan't to have a bit of background knowledge for him lol

RICHIE
09-01-2009, 19:50
does anyone know what the std GTT manifold is made from?

tried googling about welding onto cast steel, but one forum suggests more manifolds are cast iron.. i'm confuzzled.... oh and not going to be welding either... my buddy is an engineer/welder with a whole workshop at his disposal, but i wan't to have a bit of background knowledge for him lol

its cast iron i belive mate along with the block

markey b
09-01-2009, 20:02
not great for welding on a wastegate flange then i take it :cry:

Scoff
09-01-2009, 20:37
with a decent mig you'll be able to weld to it fine. you wouldn't reccommend it for anything structural but it'll be plenty tough enough for a w/g pipe, etc ;)

Scoff
09-01-2009, 20:49
I should say that you probably want thick wall mild tube to come off the manifold and use mild wire.

tubby5
09-01-2009, 23:13
i had my old external wastegate coming of the turbo exhaust housing,never had any issues worked a treat;)

markey b
11-01-2009, 19:23
we've got a plan b...

accordin to me buddy, he is gonna cnc machine a pocket into the manifold, drill and tap and make a bolt on adaptor for the WG to fit onto... i'll post pics when done lol