PDA

View Full Version : perc fan or no perc fan ???

oggie1970
15-12-2013, 14:46
my boy just braught a wicked little D reg with a good little set up.

but no perc fan which is new to me ( been out the renault game for over 10 years)

it werent put in cos of the fact they set on fire,

opinions ??:confused:

michael tierney
15-12-2013, 15:24
prob wont need it in the winter............good to have when its hot in summer traffic ........a fuse sorts the fire issue....7.5 amp:)

oggie1970
15-12-2013, 20:43
cheerz michael ,,thank for the insight ..

learn something new everyday :agree:

Matt Cole
15-12-2013, 21:57
AFAIK Phase 1 didn't have them.

Nad-5GTT
16-12-2013, 17:03
AFAIK Phase 1 didn't have them.

Not sure what AFAIK means, I'm not down with the kids ;) but my ph1 came with one.

Bigfoot
16-12-2013, 17:28
Not sure what AFAIK means, I'm not down with the kids ;) but my ph1 came with one.

As Far As I Know

More than likely when realised the problem with heat soak they started putting them on there or maybe people got them fitted to their phase 1s

Nad-5GTT
16-12-2013, 17:37
As Far As I Know

More than likely when realised the problem with heat soak they started putting them on there or maybe people got them fitted to their phase 1s

Thanks for the text answer :) and that does sound plausible:agree:

Bigfoot
16-12-2013, 17:41
Thanks for the text answer :) and that does sound plausible:agree:

YW :laugh:

Dre5gtt
16-12-2013, 19:35
My d reg phase 1 has one don't work though lol

Trevhib
16-12-2013, 20:27
My early C plate GTT had a perc fan. Not sure if it was retro-fitted or not, I suspect it was.

I removed perc fans from my two ph2's and it never caused an issue for me in all the time I had them, but I had also removed a lot of other gubbins from the engine bays, which reduced under-bonnet temps.

old skool turbo power
16-12-2013, 21:24
As Far As I Know

or i think it was also the issue in where in the 1st point they didn't fit them then they had the prob of heat soak then the cars were called back to Renault and fitted a perc fan,but there was just a direct line fitted to them,so if they shorted out like they did,they then grabed all the cars fitted with them with a built in a fuse line (I THINK )........might be wrong?
personally id love to know in how ppl started there cars after removing the fans????choke on????I remember one time driving to derby...got they and then got some food ect and then later i went to start the car and what a joke that was......:sad2:that was in the summer,if I brought another one id fit one.
my bad ...seems they may of fitted them from the factory in the 1st palce??(phase 1)

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=9691

oggie1970
16-12-2013, 21:27
all taken on board guys,

was just thinking mayb when temperatures creep up in summer ..mayb worth having in ?

:cartman: :rolleyes:

Brigsy
16-12-2013, 23:09
I wouldn't bother fitting an anti perc unless your after the o.e look. They start ok without, a few seconds cranking gets them going when hot

FSP
17-12-2013, 07:07
When hot my five crank for 15- 20 sec. It can be a bit :ashamed:

I dont park in front of pub :) becouse people starts to get warmed up for the push :)

Slammed 66
17-12-2013, 08:35
Someone removed the perc fan from my phase 2 at some point in its past, probably due to seizing orr smoking.

When its been driven for a while it can take a few seconds of cranking to get her going again.

In the summer at N/D i nipped to the local shop (at high speed) and when it came to firing it up again after 10 mins, it took like 20-25 seconds.

Embarrasing :ashamed:

CHUNK The Goonies
01-01-2014, 17:35
I would disconect it and just leave it in place just to fill the gap. I had a mint one also had a fuse and still tried to set my 5 alight. Starts no problem in summer or winter.

TopCat
01-01-2014, 17:42
I've still got mine connected and running with no issues. Seeing as your engine bay looks really original I'd leave it connected, or in situ but unplugged like someone suggested.

If you fused it correctly with the correct amp fuse then it will eliminate the danger of a burn out.

GTphil
01-01-2014, 18:11
We are all spoiled by our modern start on the button cars :laugh:

I have never known a gtt that starts first time everytime.

Those perc fans are just not needed, I ran without one for years an years with no issues at all.