View Full Version : rear axle

chris
08-12-2013, 18:05
Evening I have been trying to raise the rear suspension on my 5 and its proveing extremly difficult to get the bar moveing, because there is no thread in the ends to pull them out with. I have read in the articles section that you can hit the end of the bar threw instead of pulling it out. Has anyone done this and any other advise would be great I was going to go to MOT it this week but now I doubt I will:cry:

5 turbo
08-12-2013, 18:53
yes you can but tbh drop the axle off its 100times easier/safer imop plus you can clean it all up an grease it so if you need to do it again its piss easy,they then just fall out lol

the Haynes has a diagram for making adjuster rods to help set the ride height right...

chris
08-12-2013, 18:59
So take it off and do it on the floor? I thought at least with it on the car it holds it while I hit it. I agree on getting it cleaned up tho. So I guess hitting the one side threw pushs the other side out? Thanks for help buddy

DaveL485
08-12-2013, 20:07
So take it off and do it on the floor? I thought at least with it on the car it holds it while I hit it. I agree on getting it cleaned up tho. So I guess hitting the one side threw pushs the other side out? Thanks for help buddy

But will be twice as hard because you need to move two bars instead of just one.

chris
08-12-2013, 20:14
Yes thats true but I dont really have any other options available to me I guess just get it moveing side to side tand a big hammer :laugh:

5 turbo
09-12-2013, 10:38
tbh getting a clean hit on them while on motor is difficult to say least, plus to get them out the arch has to come off...plus you will 99% of time need heat to loosen the bars free, not wise near the tanks being as they plastic hahaha...

i done it by axle standing the rear and just dropped it off, tbh its broad as long but for me i felt safer lol..

chris
09-12-2013, 10:43
Yea the heat is the biggest issue really I have both arches off already and can get a straight bar on them but like you say I don't want to be heating near the tank

Markey Mark (BD)
09-12-2013, 11:15
I had same issue few times, i found knocking it in from one side will push the other torsion bar out but them you have to get under the car and knock that torsion bar out from under there, bit arkward sometimes

Or if you inetrested i got my old standard height rear beam going cheap if collected ;)