PDA

View Full Version : Not water cooling the carb

Guybrush
20-11-2013, 20:07
Its been the setup of the car since I bought it, but just wondered if anyone else had disconnected the water pipes from the carb base?

Adey aka Ewok
20-11-2013, 21:09
i think lots have done, i have many times over, mainly because ive been to cheap to fix the hoses when they split. i think they do play a roll in preventing carb freeze in the winter

Trevhib
21-11-2013, 10:00
Talked about lots of times in the past this.

The throttle spindle is a different metal to the body and as each warms up they do so at a different rate. This can lead to the spindle being pinched and the throttle sticking on for the first ten minutes of driving. Very annoying. More likely to happen in the winter. Not a problem for everyone. Up to you whether it's an issue or not.

I know this as it happened to me when I removed the carb base coolant hoses and Paul B told me what was going on. Went away when I refitted the hoses. :agree:

Mart
21-11-2013, 10:27
Bin it, and the hoses going to/from the inlet manifold as well.

Trevhib
21-11-2013, 10:54
Aren't the two connected anyway? I mean removing one more or less means having to remove both doesn't it?

tubbyG
21-11-2013, 11:00
I suffered from regular carb freeze (with front mount) when the pipes were disconnected during winter. So now I leave them on during colder months but remove them when fairer weather returns

Mart
21-11-2013, 11:34
Aren't the two connected anyway? I mean removing one more or less means having to remove both doesn't it?

It's possible to fit the feed/return water lines direct to the carb' base, thus bypassing the manifold as such.

Brigsy
21-11-2013, 11:36
Never ever had the throttle stick with no water pipes to base of carb. I would keep it if the car is a daily driver in winter to try and keep carb freeze at bay.

In the winter the van doesnt suffer from mega carb freeze (i.e conking out) but the afr's go rich as feck on idle indicating that the old venturi is getting smaller?

Trevhib
21-11-2013, 11:42
It's possible to fit the feed/return water lines direct to the carb' base, thus bypassing the manifold as such.

:agree:

Trevhib
21-11-2013, 11:43
Never ever had the throttle stick with no water pipes to base of carb.

As noted, it seems some suffer and others don't but it is absolutely something to be aware of upfront. :agree:

Romil Davda
21-11-2013, 12:16
Works great in summer... Carb freeze over winter!

I also got a sticky throttle problem at the mo and I have the w/p connected to the carb :scratch: