PDA

View Full Version : Sticky startermotor

Mr Raider
11-11-2013, 14:56
Starter motor on the 5 has been sticky for a while but its always started, now it just clicks, battery charged, tried a jump pack/jump starting it with leads too. I read somewhere it could be the wiring to the starter motor? or the solenoid/starter motor itself that needs replacing. Any ideas? :scratch:

Jonny5
11-11-2013, 15:14
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4724

LiamR
11-11-2013, 16:11
I did the mod in the post above. Worked a treat and it fires up first time now.

No more click click click......

Guybrush
11-11-2013, 16:16
tried a jump pack/jump starting it with leads too.

So did running a lead work? If not, then it's the motor itself.

TNT Tricky Nicky
11-11-2013, 19:24
Did you try an earth from gearbox to battery and see if that helped, sometimes the block earths corrode and cause the problem

Mattv6
11-11-2013, 20:39
Mine was the relay block behind the drivers headlight. All corroded. Removed connector and wired directly to starter with some thicker cable. That was after I thought it was the starter motor and changed it doh! Hope that helps.

Mr Raider
11-11-2013, 22:08
So did running a lead work? If not, then it's the motor itself.

Tried a lead from negative terminal to the block quickly yesterday as had lil'un although didnt have any luck :(. Last time I managed to start it with the starter motor itself was bit of a strange smell as it had been worked abit hard. Charged battery then put back on and it turned over and spluttered, now wont turn over again.

Cheers Chaps will have another go when I have 5 minutes, although wont be until the weekend. :)

Junglist
12-11-2013, 17:17
Check the white wire from the connector block behind passenger headlight to the starter isn't corroded. I replaced this wire when mine was clicking now it's fine.

Guybrush
12-11-2013, 19:58
Tried a lead from negative terminal to the block quickly yesterday as had lil'un although didnt have any luck :(. Last time I managed to start it with the starter motor itself was bit of a strange smell as it had been worked abit hard. Charged battery then put back on and it turned over and spluttered, now wont turn over again.

Cheers Chaps will have another go when I have 5 minutes, although wont be until the weekend. :)

Check voltage on battery.
Put a lead between the positive and the terminals on the starter, it should start whirring away. If it doesn't, put a lead between gearbox and neg terminal.
If there's still no whirr, then I'd buy a new starter motor.

Mr Raider
29-11-2013, 19:22
Ok so brand new battery on and still clicking,cleaned up connector of doom, relay near aei,battery terminals still clicking.So day off today for bday got car jacked up and under it, exhaust brackets and starter motor off and the solenoid connection has melted and fell to bits taking starter motor off!:sad2:

B18ftMOJO5
30-11-2013, 08:42
same issue changed starter twice, still goes back to clicking and not turning the engine. will try to put a lead to the negative terminal later. does the starter usually have a heat shield? im missing one maybe that's why my starter is getting cooked.

Mr Raider
30-11-2013, 17:30
Starter should have a heatshield, ive bought one to go on, just looking at buying new starter or getting existing valeo started refurbed

Mr Raider
15-12-2013, 19:20
Bought an RTX starter motor from Euro Car Parts,then decided I wanted the more expensive Lucas starter motor as RTX dont have the best reputation lol Lucas version was exchange RTX wasnt, anyways laying on my back in a puddle nearly dark i put it on,connected all connectors I cleaned up, hooked up the battery and it turns over first time every time! havent done the relay mod as yet although so relieved to hear the good old c1j roar into life...-eventually! lol :cool:

Trevhib
16-12-2013, 10:34
You have fitted a heat shield right?

Edit - just seen your other thread on this subject. I'd get it fitted ASAP if I were you.

Mr Raider
16-12-2013, 12:25
Ive got a starter heatshield that im putting back on along with the rest of the exhaust, wiring shield etc although car is parked up for winter and not being used until next March time. :)

Trevhib
16-12-2013, 14:25
:):agree: