PDA

View Full Version : Top Tips for fittings Door Pins

Woznaldo
11-11-2013, 09:03
Hello All, I've just tried to search for some help on this and could only find removal advice (for Roll Pins) so I just wanted to get the general consensus on the 'easiest' way to fit the Roll Type Door Pins.

With the gap in the Roll Pin the diameter is just over 7.6mm and I'm trying to fit them into a 7.0mm hole. Do I need to get some medieval pliers to squeeze the Roll Pin before hammering them home? Or do I need to squeeze them in a vice before hand?

I've got my door hung using temp pins of about 6mm dia until I work out the best way to approach this.

Thanks.

stu21t
11-11-2013, 10:17
When I did mine I just hammered them in. The end of the pins should be tapered so once started they will close up and slide in.
I think I used a small bolster and laid it flat ontop of the pins so I had more of an area to hit.

Woznaldo
12-11-2013, 06:13
Thanks Stu, I'll persevere with the Hammer and Bolster/Block and see how I get on.

Flight666
12-11-2013, 07:11
As Stu says they are tapered on the bottom so they can be started easier they are c pins/slotted pins in the engineering world nothing fancy a 2p item,they are slightly larger but close up once driven home and therefore a tight fit.I used a parallel pin punch so you could get a good "hit" on the pin a good spraying of wd-40 will help if the old ones are stubborn :)

stu21t
12-11-2013, 10:02
Thinking about it, does a 1/2 or 3/4" extension sit ontop and poke above the door so you can hit straight down?

Woznaldo
12-11-2013, 10:10
The problem at the moment is that I can't give the Pin a hard enough hit to get past the chamfer.

Maybe my long 1/2" Drive Extension may do the trick?